Wifes CO buck

NMPaul

We basically had 3 days to make something happen. Made the 8 hour drive from home and got the late night the first day of the hunt. Early next morning strapped on the pack (my wife stays in a better mood if I carry everything) and hiked about an hour in the dark with headlights. Right off the bat I was finding does. Then I found a 3x3 by himself that was crippled, but, still eating. Saw about 30 does that morning. Covered about 6 miles that morning looking over a lot of country, but, got the feeling that the bucks had not moved that low yet.

That afternoon, we checked out some higher country stuff, aspens, snow, evergreens, but, saw lots of hunters hunting elk and whatever. Decided, we would reserve that if would not make something happen in the low country.

Next morning, we moved a couple miles closer to the big mountains and a little higher elevation. Same drill. Hike in an hour in dark, got to a mountain peak that i found on my gps at the motel room. Again, finding lots of does and found a buck pretending to be king with a big group of does. Could not tell how big because only had my 15x binocs. Could tell he was not a stud by his body. Started working our way up the mountain glassing. Mid morning found a 3x4 that was tall, but, immature. Long beams, short forks and young. Tempted to have wifey shoot him, but, kept looking.
After the noon nap, was up and glassing again. Went back to look at the 3x4 and see if momma wanted to end the hunt. We watched him awhile and then decided since Zach wasnt there to pack him out of the wrong side of the mountain we would pass. I decided to take one last look and a MONSTER buck filled my lense.
This was a huge buck hanging about 100 yards in a juniper forest from the small 3x4. We got a plan together and started a stalk. We were on a rim looking down at him about 700 yards. We moved down the rim and were moving down towards him and got about 400 yards and were setting up for a shop.
Wife could not find him in the scope, and then a bunch of does smelled us and took him with them. I was heart broke. Will never know how big he was.
We tried the rest of the afternoon to find him. Found the buck he was hanging with, but, not him.

Plan was next morning to go in and just scour that area. I looked for 4 hours with my 15xs and found my 3x4, a small 4x4 moved in with him, but, never found the old man. Wife decided to shoot the 3x4. Long story short, wife could not find him in the scope and decided to pass. I made the call that we were gonna rush back and try to find the buck I saw the 2nd morning because it was a closer pack out and in my mind I convinced my self he may be a decent little buck.
We were walking back fairly quickly and all hell broke loose. Saw a bunch of does break up the hill and this real nice buck with them. Wife got set up on the bog pod at 160 yards and the rest was history. Over kill with the 300 RUM. Learned a cool unit. Saw one hunter in the low country and that was over a mile away on top of a hill.
Even if she did not kill a buck it would have been a success. Learned a new unit and hope to get back there again soon.

2012MomsCOBuck2012004.jpg

2012MomsCOBuck2012005.jpg

2012MomsCOBuck2012019.jpg

2012MomsCOBuck2012009.jpg

2012MomsCOBuck2012018.jpg

Good looking buck! Glad to see it all work out for you guys. Cant wait until Im back in there chasing those muleys. Getting pumped for my little bro's muley hunt this Wed. Congrats!

WOW! What a nice buck! Busted my ass last week trying to find something even close to that guy and Kim can go out drag around a sniveling baby huey and get it done.Beutiful deer.

>WOW! What a nice buck! Busted
>my ass last week trying
>to find something even close
>to that guy and Kim
>can go out drag around
>a sniveling baby huey and
>get it done.Beutiful deer.

Dont forget our pics always make em look a little bigger. I always snivel when its cold.
Wished NM could manage deer like CO seems to be able to.

Very nice. Congrats to Kim and guide:)

It is amazing to see the deer situations so different just north of the line. I'd love to know what the deal is.

Very nice buck! Congrates to Kim and the packmule/guide.
Wish NM could get their stuff together with the deer too.

Wow Paul
You guys show us again that your family can get it done !
Congrats to your wife on a darn fine buck in anyone's book.
Is there somthin in the water you guys drink ?

CC

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom