Wildlife Board workshop March 31

From the Board Meeting agenda:

5. Point System - Lindy Varney ● What would look like if we merged LE and GS points ● Issues with going away all points given the investment of so many hunters for decades.

Here is my proposal for point 5. leave the draw the same with the exception of this: You would have two boxes and would only have the option to check one of the boxes.
If you checked the first box you would gain bonus/preference points(if not drawn), but would only be able to apply for one first choice permit per species. In other words you would not be able to apply for both GS and LE.
If you checked the second box. You would be able to apply for both the GS and LE, but you would not go into the max point pool and would not gain points.

Neither way totally excludes a person on the LE, and I am sure there are a lot of hunters out there who would rather skip some years of hunting for less years of waiting for the LE permit. On the other hand there are a lot of hunters who likes to hunt every year even though there is lesser of a chance to draw the LE from the pool of applicants.

Would like to hear thoughts?

Or could it make it look better by some areas being better than others? For example the Beaver is shot but the pine valley may not be near a bad.
No it’s pretty much all bad. Henry’s is bad. Pauns. Books. San Juan. Wasatch. Beaver. Pine valley. Ogden. Nebo. Vernon. Tintic. It’s all bad. Sure some are better than others, but none are doing even ‘ok’ at this point.

I think you are probably right. When will we see spring counts and tag numbers? Hopefully before rac meetings
Yeah you’d think if they really gave a chit about public input they’d post the materials for the public to review to give their input and comments on.

Still think your public voice matters in all of this?

They have never listened before. The year they claimed there was more deer than ever people stood up in southern rac and told them the deer herds were drastically declining. All they did was cut a few tags. Now the Beaver and Dutton worse than when they closed other units like the pauns.

Yeah you’d think if they really gave a chit about public input they’d post the materials for the public to review to give their input and comments on.
That's exactly what they are doing with this meeting! "All of this" is being presented and recorded at the meeting for you to play over and over, again and again, to your satisfaction. And then it will have to go through the RAC and Wildlife Board system where you and I will have a chance to ask questions and make comments. And, as usual, you can send them emails, fax's, letters, messages, text's and phone calls ahead of the RAC's and Board meetings.
Still think your public voice matters in all of this?
Yup! Sometimes it takes a while, but I've seen a few of my proposals/suggestions/ideas come to fruition. "All of this" has to come from somebody, it might as well be you or me!

Last edited:
That's exactly what they are doing with this meeting! "All of this" is being presented and recorded at the meeting for you to play over and over, again and again, to your satisfaction. And then it will have to go through the RAC and Wildlife Board system where you and I will have a chance to ask questions and make comments. And, as usual, you can send them emails, fax's, letters, messages, text's and phone calls ahead of the RAC's and Board meetings.

Yup! Sometimes it takes a while, but I've seen a few of my proposals/suggestions/ideas come to fruition. "All of this" has to come from somebody, it might as well be you or me!
They are discussing tag numbers at this meeting? I don’t think so.

Why would you be expecting them to be discussing tag numbers at this meeting? That happens at a regularly scheduled RAC and Board meeting where the DWR prints the proposed numbers in its packet and the public has a chance to review that info and then ask questions and make comments at the meeting. This meeting deals with policy, not tag numbers.

Will we see deer numbers and tag number recommendations before the April race?
April – RAC meetings: • Big game permit numbers. • Antlerless permit numbers • CWMU rule amendments • CWMU management plans • LOA management plans April 5 - CR April 6 - NR April 12 – SR – Cedar City – Hunter Conf. Room 405 Univ. Blvd. April 13 - SER April 14 - NER Board meeting April 28 • April 5-14 RAC agenda items.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom