Will it work?

Another update.

Mule deer translocation update for November 3 - November 16.

We had 1 translocated deer mortality since the last update. This deer was found on the north end of the Pahvant, 50 yards west of highway 50. There was very little evidence to determine cause of death (mostly consumed and not cached). We also picked up 1 collar from a resident deer that detached prematurely (collar material was torn in a jagged fashion after getting snagged on a branch).

We found (visually) one of the deer that went missing several weeks ago (deer #26 from the first translocation). This deer is currently near Holden, on winter range and appears to be in good shape (see attached picture*). This deer's collar has failed (couldn't hear the signal while taking the attached photo) and we don't expect to have further contact with her and will no longer report her as missing.

We are currently missing 5 translocated deer. Three of these deer have been missing for several months.

Most of the deer are now back on winter range near their release sites. Interestingly, the 3 deer that summered on the Beaver (near Junction, Manderfield, and Beaver) have made the long return to Fillmore/Holden. For a couple of these deer it would have been less distance to go back to the Parowan Front rather than return to the release areas. The comparison of movement patterns shown by translocated deer in year 1 versus year 2 will be very interesting and informative. As a side note, much of the winter range where these deer are located appears to be in great shape this year with multiple healthy age classes of valued shrubs such as Mexican Cliffrose.

We have started our 2nd round of reproductive assessment for both translocated and resident deer. To date, we have carefully observed 21 deer (8 resident, 13 translocated) and noted the presence of fawns with at least 5 of them (attached image shows a translocated deer with her fawn*). These 5 deer observed with young include a single fawn with 2 of 8 resident deer, a single fawn with 2 of 13 translocated deer and twin fawns with 1 of 13 translocated deer. From this initial sampling effort, reproductive output appears similar for translocated and resident deer.

In summary, we've had 51** total mortalities (5 of 50 resident deer, 46 of 102 translocated deer), 5 slipped collars (3 resident, 2 translocated), and 1 failed collar (1st session translocated-#26). Forty two resident deer and 48 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week

Thanks to all for continued interest and support.

David Smedley and Randy Larsen (BYU)

From Lee:
*Their emails to me sometimes include photos, but since I don't know how to post them on this forum and since the majority of them are simply pictures of live deer, I don't include them in my updates, SORRY! However, if any of you want to see them please email me at [email protected] and I'll forward their emails.

**This number of mortalities (51) includes the suspected, but uncomfirmed, poached deer from the previous post.

Also, please be aware that sometimes I correct their spelling and/or figures and/or clarify with (....) some things that may be hard to put together. If I'm breaking any copyright laws or if you'd rather I didn't do that, please let me know.

Until next time,
Lee Tracy (UWC)

This has been very interesting! I follow every week when you post, thanks for the time in doing so, its appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-13 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-13 AT 10:07?AM (MST)

>This has been very interesting! I
>follow every week when you
>post, thanks for the time
>in doing so, its appreciated.
>

You're welcome! And here's the latest.

Mule deer translocation update for November 17 - December 7.

It has been a quiet couple of weeks with only 1 resident deer mortality. This deer was found a little east of Holden, completely consumed, leaving little evidence to determine cause of death, but the carcass was not cached suggesting coyote predation. We also had 1 resident deer collar that detached prematurely. The collar material was weathered and weak and appears to have detached after getting snagged on a fence.

We are currently missing 5 translocated deer and 1 resident deer. Three of these deer have been missing for several months. The resident deer was located near winter range during the last flight, and we expect she is currently on winter range with a weak radio signal. We will continue to search for missing deer on the ground and on upcoming flights.

We have continued with our 2nd round of reproductive assessment for both translocated and resident deer. To date, we have carefully observed 33 deer (9 resident, 24 translocated) and noted the presence of fawns with 2 of 9 resident deer and 6 of 24 translocated deer. These estimates are likely biased low, but valuable in relation to each other. To date, it appears that reproductive output for surviving translocated deer is similar to that observed with resident deer.

In summary, we've had 52 total mortalities (6 of 50 resident deer, 46 of 102 translocated), 6 slipped collars (4 resident, 2 translocated), and 1 failed collar (translocated). Thirty nine resident deer and 48 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week.

Thanks for sticking with us. The weather and holidays will likely slow things down a bit, so please be patient.
Lee Tracy (UWC)

>As always, it's interesting information. Thanks
>for the updates.

As always, you're welcome! And here's the latest.

Mule deer translocation update for December 8 - December 21.

We have no additional mortalities to report for either translocated deer or resident deer.

We are currently missing 5 translocated deer and 3 resident deer. Three of these deer have been missing for several months. We suspect 1 of the resident deer to have a weak radio signal The other 2 resident deer have been heard on winter range but we have been unable to locate them over the last couple of weeks and hope to locate them on an upcoming flight.

We have continued with our 2nd round of reproductive assessment for both translocated and resident deer. To date, we have carefully observed 41 deer (12 resident, 29 translocated) and noted the presence of fawns with 2 of 12 resident and 8 of 29 translocated. Data continues to support the idea that reproduction was similar for resident and translocated deer.

In summary, we've had 52 total mortalities (6 of 50 resident deer, 46 of 102 translocated deer), 6 slipped collars (4 resident, 2 translocated), and 1 failed collar (translocated). Thirty seven resident deer and 48 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year.
Lee Tracy (UWC)

I Hope the Hell!

They Don't TransPlant them to an Area and then have a Doe Slaughter in that/them same Area's/Unit's!

But I Have seen STUPID Stuff Pulled off before!

Whens the NorthEastern Region getting their Share?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-14 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]A heads up! The Parowan Front deer transplant Round #2 is now scheduled for this next weekend, Sat. 11th & Sun 12th at the Parowan Airport beginning at 8:00 am each day. You're all invited to come and help, but call the Southern Region Office first to verify. Talk to Jason, Riley or Teresa.

They're also doing a capture/recapture of the collared resident deer on the Pahvant two days prior to the this transplant (Thurs 9th, Friday 10th), but I don't know much about that event. Call the Southern Office if interested.

Lee (UWC)

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-14
>AT 10:33?AM (MST)

>
>A heads up! The Parowan Front
>deer transplant Round #2 is
>now scheduled for this next
>weekend, Sat. 11th & Sun
>12th at the Parowan Airport
>beginning at 8:00 am each
>day. You're all invited to
>come and help, but call
>the Southern Region Office first
>to verify. Talk to Jason,
>Riley or Teresa.
>
>They're also doing a capture/recapture of
>the collared resident deer on
>the Pahvant two days prior
>to the this transplant (Thurs
>9th, Friday 10th), but I
>don't know much about that
>event. Call the Southern Office
>if interested.
>
>Lee (UWC)

Per the recent snow up north, the Antelope Island bighorn transplant has been put on hold, which means that all the projects are behind on schedule. The latest schedule for the Parowan Front deer transplant is now Monday the 13th and Tuesday the 14th, same place and time. We hope some of you can still make it!

Lee

An update on the 2013 transplant (We'll probably start a "Will it work? #2" thread for the upcoming transplant.)

Mule deer translocation update for December 22 - January 4

We had one translocated deer mortality in the last 2 weeks.
This deer was found east of Meadow, Utah and appears to be a coyote predation (not cached and signs of a struggle with coyote tracks in the snow).

We are currently missing 5 translocated deer and 2 resident deer. Three of these deer have been missing for several months. We suspect 1 of the resident deer to have a weak radio signal.

We have continued with our 2nd round of reproductive assessment for both translocated and resident deer. To date, we have carefully observed 43 deer (12 resident, 31 translocated) and noted at least one fawn with 3 of 12 resident deer and 8 of 31 translocated deer. Data continues to support the idea that reproduction was at least as good for translocated deer as it was for resident deer.

In summary, we've had 53 total mortalities (6 of 50 resident deer, 47 of 102 translocated deer), 6 slipped collars (4 resident, 2 translocated), and 1 failed collar (translocated). Thirty eight resident deer and 47 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week.

Capture and transplant of additional deer from the Parowan Front to Holden will occur this coming week** and we look forward to monitoring those deer. Recapture of a sample of transplanted deer from last year will also occur this weekend. This effort will provide an opportunity to remeasure fat levels and condition for comparison with last year and in relation to resident deer.

Until next time!
Lee Tracy (UWC)
**Monday and Tuesday 8:00 am. Parowan Airport.

Awesome thanks for the update EFA. I have to admit I thought there would far higher mortality rates. Good luck on round two.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-14 AT 11:24PM (MST)[p]I've decide to post future updates on the thread "Parowan Deer Transplant #2" because it's too time consuming to update on both threads and too hard to separate the 2013 transplant update info from the 2014 transplant update info since I only get one update that comingles the info. Besides, the other thread title is more recognizable to the content.

Thanks,
Lee

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom