Win or Rem?

sremim

Very Active Member
I am looking at getting a .270WSM and am trying to decide between the Remington 700 or Winchester 70.....any thoughts? I have both these models in other calibers but they are older. Which one of these 2 is better these days?

I've been eying the same cartridge in a Savage... I'm partial to Remington 700's but I've never had a Winchester Model 70. I've also never had a 700 that I couldn't get under MOA at least part of the time so that influences my bias.

The only thing about a 700 that's superior to the 70 is the way it shoots .

I don't know about the new manufactured 70's but I'll put my money on the 700 every time compared to a post 64 70 in the accuracy dept.

If you don't mind spending a few more bucks take a look at the Kimber it's a 70 of higher quality. I've found them to be very accurate and you get away from the crumby 700 style safety and paper clip extractor.

I was looking at the Savage also. The only thing keeping me hesitant on it is it only holds 2+1, the others are 3+1.

Why not consider the Browing bolts? Have had a 270 WSM in an A-bolt II for past 7 years. Reasonable weight, tack driver and reliable as hell.

I hadn't noticed that... Thanks for the heads up.

The one I'm looking at is a used Model 12 FVSS which isn't made in .270 WSM anymore, but the price is right.

I HAVE 3 REM 700 MODELS......LOVE THEM.....EVEN THE .338 IS A TACK DRIVER.........NEVER WANTED A WINCHESTER......YD.

I own a 10 year old 70 in 7mm rem mag and I love it... but I do not know how they are now. I hear the 700's are pretty sweet guns.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

>The only thing about a 700
>that's superior to the 70
>is the way it shoots
>.
>
> I don't know about the
>new manufactured 70's but I'll
>put my money on the
>700 every time compared to
>a post 64 70 in
>the accuracy dept.
>
> If you don't mind spending
>a few more bucks take
>a look at the Kimber
>it's a 70 of higher
>quality. I've found them to
>be very accurate and you
>get away from the crumby
>700 style safety and paper
>clip extractor.

Carlos Hathcock thought the post 64's were pretty accurate.

I have a 12 year old 70 in 7mm-08. A very nice rifle. I also have a one year old 700 in 25-06 that is a tack driver but I've spent more time with it than the 70. I have two Kimbers one in 7mm-08 and one in 257 Roberts. Very accuarate and super light if you are backpacking in but I can buy two 700s for every Kimber and $$ is an assue and I already have two. Brother has an A-bolt in 7mm-08 and Father in law has a X-bolt in 25-06. Both seem to be nice rifles. Guess I didn't help you. Pick the one that "feels" the best to you. .

Great post. One of my hero's. Though, I doubt very many know who he is.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

Both are good guns and accuracy is a crap shoot at best but they build many more guns with acceptable accuracy than not. Make sure you do your part by trying several brands of ammo and 2 different bullet weights to help find the accuracy level you seek. Many of the other brands mentioned here are good guns too. I didn't see any mention of Wby and their Vangard rifles are built in the .270WSM. The action used on that gun is very well made and has a reputation for good accuracy. They also offer their Sub MOA guns in the Vangard line and they shoot under 1MOA most hover around 1/2 inch. Not everyone's cup of tea but hey the proofs on the target. You won't go wrong with the 700 or the model 70 either in most instances but the Remington has a slight edge in the out of box accuracy department but both companies build shooters. You picked a fine round that will put em down and shoots flat enough to make that long shot if needed.

Try them on and see how they fit.

Another gun to consider is the Tikka.

The 700 is too short for me. Browning has a longer length of pull. Not sure on the Winchester.

The Remington 700 is what alot of gun builder start with when building a custom gun. I dont think you can beat it.
But I have also shot a Browning A bolt for a lot of years and really like it . The 60 degree bolt is great.

I'm biased towards the model 70 and the new FN produced winchesters out of South Carolina are better than any model 70 built since 1964. I haven't heard of a new production (FN built) model 70 that isn't a tack-driver.

I have a new in the box 270wsm model 70 black shadow that I was thinking of putting in the classifieds this weekend for $450. It's a New Haven rifle.

If I remember correctly Hathcock used a pre 64 model 70 in 30-06 with a 10x Unertl scope for most of his career. Later he used a Rem 700 in 308 with a Redfield 3-9 scope.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. As I mentioned I
do have each model in other calibers....just not sure
what I like better. My wife has a newer Rem 700 .270

I'm leaning towards the model 70. I got a hankering to
try out these newer ones!

I've got 7 REM 700's from factory to custom jobs, It doesn't matter the caliber I can get all of them to shoot under 3/4" and couple will shoot in the .2-.3 range. I've had 2 A-bolts and hated them with a passion. Stick with a higher priced REM you won't be dissapointed.

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

weatherby > all

download9591.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-10 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]
I've had several Win M/70's, Rem 700 in SPS and Weatherby Mark V's from pretty blued w/wood to the Ultralightweights and also a Vanguard.
I REALLY want a stainless Remington 700 in .257wby mag.
Kind of a hybrid.
Have a hunch it's gonna be next.
HH

I like them both. I have, and have had, newer and older 70's and 700's. My favorite rifle right now is a 6-7 year old 270WSM in a stainless Classic Model 70. It has the old style extractor, a short action, and a habit of putting them all -3/4". It's probably has the slickest, sweetest little action i've ever used and i'm basically a Remington fan at heart.

I don't see how you could go wrong with either brand but as some mentioned above, those Kimber people put out a hell'a fine rifle for the money!

Joey

I have a Remington 700 and 4 Browning A-Bolts
Hands down I would recommend the browning(X-bolt or A-bolt)
Free floating barrel,glass bed action in front and back,60 degree bolt throw and just over all very smooth to shoot

ITS ALL ABOUT MEAT-IN WITH THE TAXIDERMIST

I'm partial to the 700. CRF actions seem clunky to me. And Carlos Hathcock could probably have used ANY rifle and been successful. He also used a .50 a couple of times. mtmuley

While you are at the counter deciding on the 700 or the 70, make sure and atleast shoulder a Kimber 8400 Montana. I'd give the Savage a good look at also.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-10 AT 11:05PM (MST)[p]>The Remington 700 is what alot
>of gun builder start with
>when building a custom gun.
>I dont think you can
>beat it.
>But I have also shot a
>Browning A bolt for a
>lot of years and really
>like it . The 60
> degree bolt is great.
>

The main reason that guys build on 700's and not on 70's is the 700 has a "stronger" action. The bolt face on a 700 goes inside the nose cone. The m70's bolt face does not go inside the nose cone. It butts up against it.

I have never read were Hathcock ever used a m700. I know he did use another gun. It was a .50cal m2 browning machine gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom