WY Area 45 Elk

Packmule

So my father and I drew this tag this year. We were told that if we wanted a good elk hunt with plenty of public land, this would be the most enjoyable hunt.

Anyone have any pics of nice bulls that have been taken out of that unit in the last few years? My dad has never elk hunted before so a 300-330 class bull would be great.

Additionally, does anyone have any recommendations on where to start in that unit? Any particular basins or canyons? We love to hit the trail with a back pack or my mule string to get away from roads and other hunters. I'm just trying to see if it would be justified to bring my horse and three pack mules all the way from NV??

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-11 AT 01:04PM (MST)[p]It's a big area with a lot of country where your stock would certainly come in handy. Get a good map of the Forest if you don't have one already. You will pretty much have to access the unit off of Hwy. 16, which is the southern boundary of 45. I would suggest you go up in the Meadowlark Lake area and take one of the access roads on north into the unit to where you feel comfortable with depending on the weather when you're there. The lake is at about 8,600' elevation and you will go up from there as you go north and northwest. There are a couple campgrounds a few miles up into 45 where you could probably set up camp and use your stock from there to access areas away from other hunters. If you are familiar with mountain weather, it can be a crapshoot depending on the year in October. Look for at least some snow at the lake elevation as the season progresses and more as you go on up into where you will be hunting. It's a beautiful area with some nice animals if you hit it right and I hope you do. Good luck! PS: I'll try to send you a couple emails today with some pictures of the area if I can find the right CD with them!

I've hunted it the last couple years and while there are some 330+ bulls the reality is if you are expecting a 300+ bull you're going to need some luck. most of the bulls I've seen and seen other hunters with are 5's and small 6's all under 300.

Topgun said pretty much what I'd say, great country and a fun hunt. if you're willing to do some backpacking to get the meat out I wouldn't bother with horses on that long of a trip, about the only place you can get far enough from a road to warrant it is the Cloud Peak and as a NR you can't go there anyway legally.

440---The main reason I mentioned that he might want the mules would be if they got into weather up in there, which is a possibility in October, and a couple good mules could really help get into and out of places where you probably couldn't go on foot. If the weather is favorable, then I would agree with you and just do with backpacking the critter out because they would be hauling the stock an awful long ways. I guess they will have to toss a coin and decide on go or no go on that aspect of their hunt.

I agree, but dragging livestock from NV is a real pain, in my opinion anyway. that's why my horses stayed home.

I know where you're coming from and I'm sure there is no easy way to get there from NV. I rented a trailer, 2 horses, and all the tack two different times out there from the Mantles that own "Wyoming Horses" down in Pavilion and it was a pain in the butt just taking them 175 miles each way and it wasn't much driving in the mountains until I got close to where we hunted. I'm sure that would be an awful long and tedious haul all the way from NV. It sure is nice to have an animal get you in and out of your hunting area and pack the meat out though. The big problem I found doing it all myself was the amount of time lost in the morning and evening taking care of them. It seemed like I barely got to sleep and it was time to get up and get them ready so we could be where we wanted to be before daylight and then the same old thing doing it in the dark after you got in at night. That's the one good thing about an outfitted hunt where somebody else is doing all that for you!

Nice bull! How were the elk numbers up there? When you were hunting, were you focusing mostly up in the wilderness area?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-11 AT 01:02AM (MST)[p]lots of elk at timberline! ha no people up there either, trail heads were being hunted fairly hard. but i never saw a guy in the wilderness. I got several shots at rag horns the morning a shot mine. 2 days 5 shots under 43 yards, took two of them, it was good times! there was one other bull in the area where a shot mine, saw him the next day... all of 370! but thats ok I was still stoked with my bull! I drew a limeted 9 tag again this year with no points so now its time to start hunting for a big one!

good luck! feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions about anything

and I was hunting the 8-17th of sept, get at em before they cow up

I think that's good advice 247! The rut seems to start earlier up higher and while a lot of areas are good later in the month, I would agree with you and hone in up there on them the first couple weeks of September and no later than the second and third weeks. That is also information I got right from the Game Warden/Biologist I know that lives in TenSleep. He has said he has seen 400" bulls up high before, but I think a 325"-355" should be what to look for and if a bigger one shows himself, go for it!!! Good luck to you guys and you will have a great hunt no matter what score the one you shoot tapes out at!

From what I've seen and heard 350 is top end with the rare bull going over that usually on private. how many record book bulls have been taken from the area? not many.

If you see a legit 350 class bull in 45 you better be all over him, the proof isn't in what hunters see it's what they kill.

Headed up into the wilderness on the 11th with a type 9. Non-res quided. Hope I run into one of those 330+ bulls.

anyone have contact for any packers in the area? Going unguided but would like to have a contact just in case. thanks!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom