WY elk application questions

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
I'm sure my questions are in the regs but thought I'd ask here as it didn't jump out at me. The reason for my questions is I found out last nite my hunting buddy has some work issues that might not be resolved before the 31st but possibly soon afterwards and it will impact whether he'd apply this year.
So my questions are:
* - If he applies by the 31st, what is the period after that when you can change your app?
* - Can you change from applying for a hunt, to just getting a PP? Any additional charges if you switch?
* - If you apply for a hunt and draw, what are the options if you cannot hunt? Can you get a refund or point reinstatement or ? In CO you can either get your points back OR your $ back but not both.

The problem for me now is that if he doesn't apply, I'm stuck going solo which isn't my preferred option but I could do it. Unfortunately the area we plan to hunt is very beneficial to have an ATV and I can't bring both my camper and ATV so I'd probably need to look into getting a big tent. We were planning a Type 1 hunt and I'd bow hunt for up to 2 weeks so I'd rather have a camper than a tent.
If I postpone it for a year, I have no guarantee that he may not go next year so I need to decide what I'll do soon!
Thanks for any help on this!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-15 AT 10:50AM (MST)[p]>I'm sure my questions are in
>the regs but thought I'd
>ask here as it didn't
>jump out at me.
>The reason for my questions
>is I found out last
>nite my hunting buddy has
>some work issues that might
>not be resolved before the
>31st but possibly soon afterwards
>and it will impact whether
>he'd apply this year.
>So my questions are:
>* - If he applies by
>the 31st, what is the
>period after that when you
>can change your app?

***The application deadline this year for elk is Feb2 and he would only have the following day of Feb 3 to modfy or withdraw. The 31st is on a weekend and that's why 2/2 is the date this year, as it's the first day of the G&F work week.

>* - Can you change from
>applying for a hunt, to
>just getting a PP?
>Any additional charges if you
>switch?

***He could withdraw completely by 2/3 and get all but his $14 application fee back. The easiest way for him to do that would probably be to just apply for the hunt without buying a PP. If he withdraws he could then buy the PP during the summer PP application period.

>* - If you apply for
>a hunt and draw, what
>are the options if you
>cannot hunt? Can you
>get a refund or point
>reinstatement or ? In
>CO you can either get
>your points back OR your
>$ back but not both.
>

No options unless you die or are on your death bed to even think about asking Wyoming for any money back, etc.
>
>The problem for me now is
>that if he doesn't apply,
>I'm stuck going solo which
>isn't my preferred option but
>I could do it.
>Unfortunately the area we plan
>to hunt is very beneficial
>to have an ATV and
>I can't bring both my
>camper and ATV so I'd
>probably need to look into
>getting a big tent.
>We were planning a Type
>1 hunt and I'd bow
>hunt for up to 2
>weeks so I'd rather have
>a camper than a tent.
>
>If I postpone it for a
>year, I have no guarantee
>that he may not go
>next year so I need
>to decide what I'll do
>soon!
>Thanks for any help on this! >

Thanks TG! I figured you'd know! I guess having only 1 day to change will likely not help him so he'll probably just wait till to 2nd to see if anything is resolved which is highly unlikely.
On the 62-4 thing, I think that was someone else's question.

>Thanks TG! I figured you'd
>know! I guess having
>only 1 day to change
>will likely not help him
>so he'll probably just wait
>till to 2nd to see
>if anything is resolved which
>is highly unlikely.
>On the 62-4 thing, I think
>that was someone else's question.
>

Yep, I see that it was another member and will edit and get it in the right place. Thanks!

TG - I looked at the website and it shows the WY deadline is Jan 31 not Feb 2 so I'm going by that date. So you might check it out as it'd be a shame if anyone waited till the 2nd!

Elkliver are you serious? I'm still pondering what I'll do and know of 1 other guy with 7 pts and I have 8 so I might consider a group app. Just not sure I want to do a solo but also not sure about hunting with people I don't know.....just trying to decide if I want to wait a year or just go for it this year.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-15 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]>TG - I looked at the
>website and it shows the
>WY deadline is Jan 31
>not Feb 2 so I'm
>going by that date.
>So you might check it
>out as it'd be a
>shame if anyone waited till
>the 2nd!
>
>Elkliver are you serious? I'm
>still pondering what I'll do
>and know of 1 other
>guy with 7 pts and
>I have 8 so I
>might consider a group app.
> Just not sure I
>want to do a solo
>but also not sure about
>hunting with people I don't
>know.....just trying to decide if
>I want to wait a
>year or just go for
>it this year.

Go back and read the statement right in that section and it clearly states that when the date is on a weekend or holiday the date reverts to the next G&F business day which is what I stated. I also have the big G&F calendar I get every year as a part of my Wyoming Wildlife magazine subscription and it has the two dates I mentioned right on it too! Having said that, I would never wait until the last day or two to make an application with the way websites can go down, etc. I plan on applying for my deer and antelope tags the second or third week of May.

Thanks TG. I see that now. I'm used to how they do it here in CO where the deadline posted is the deadline. This year is kind of odd for me as my hunting buddy will need to wait til the last minute to decide and he may not get his info he needs before the deadline. So, he doesn't want to loose his 8 pts so the deadline is real important this year. Thanks for pointing out the clarification!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom