WY G&F Deer Decoy: 4 citations 5 warnings

gznokes

Very Active Member
What's up with this?? 40% of the people who saw it, shot at it?

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/WYWGFD/bulletins/1238f07

MT_Grizz.jpg

Interesting to me as well, I'm assuming it's a trophy unit where people aren't interested in that 140" decoy. I know if you set that up in unit 39 in Idaho it would look like swiss cheese after 10 minutes.

yeah but 4 out of 10 rigs that saw it out of season took a shot?I must be really naive about how common this is. I wonder how many of those rigs had more than one person in them because that could double the amount of complicity.

I know unit 39 is by Boise and I could understand that during the season, but not 3 days after. . .
MT_Grizz.jpg

Probably guilty of shooting from a vehicle or shooting from a road. Or having a loaded gun in a vehicle. Or maybe even shooting onto private property?

It's probably not illegal to shoot a fake/decoy deer.

It is disturbing to think that many people "hunt" after the season closes though.

Eel

>Interesting to me as well, I'm
>assuming it's a trophy unit
>where people aren't interested in
>that 140" decoy. I know
>if you set that up
>in unit 39 in Idaho
>it would look like swiss
>cheese after 10 minutes.
I know I shouldn't have laughed out loud at this, but I did.

Game wardens have always told me that a very high percentage of the guys they catch doing that also get a DUI.

>...probably utards headed home....

EASY there!

I Thought the UDWR had the PATENT on them!:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

I agree with the first post..if it had been a 30in buck it would of look like swiss cheese.....

I think they should have a 200" buck out there. They should have it out all the time. If they get 4 of the first 10 to shoot it, why stop with two times out. They need to be out there till they have a hundred go by and no one shoots it. Poaching is ruining hunting. My grandfather poached for food, much different then the poachers of today.

DZ

...the mexicans and laotians around here are poaching to feed their families.....and it ain't helping our hunting.

>Easy way for them to make
>money. I think its all
>about making money on fines
>

That may be the case, but I think this is a good thing. Those 4 guys that got fined are going to think twice before shooting a deer again. If it reduces thepoaching activity and scares people a bit, I'm all for it.

Now they just need to put 20-30 GPS chips in shed antlers and lay them out on the side of roads in SW Wyoming. I bet 29 out of 30 people pick them up that pass.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-15 AT 12:39PM (MST)[p]Yep, this is all just for money. All $3100 of it!

The cost of the decoy, the fuel used by the officer, the people necessary to process the violation from law enforcement to both the courts and prosecutor, support staff and judge and attorney time on the 4 cases....I hit $3100 a LONG time ago. And that was before it was determined if any of them will qualify for a public defender, which would also cost money. Wyoming will lose money on this enforcement operation, and it won't even be that close. People need to get that out of their heads.

This is a sad indictment on our society. I've heard similarly high offense rates in multiple other states and different areas within states when decoys have been used in the past. Is it really that hard to NOT kill something out of season?

Vanilla +1,

It's sad that so many out there think that they can shoot deer out of season any time they want to or see one aside the road. 4 guys on one little stretch of road. multiply that by all the little roads out there!

Poaching just can not continue to be an answer to help balancing peoples budgets. i fully support this type of active enforcement and wish it were more cost effective because many won't stop what they are doing illegally until they have to pay the hefty price.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Easy way for them to make
>money. I think its all
>about making money on fines
>

The WYGF doesn't receive a dime from any citation ever written. Same with HP and other agencies, it all goes into a separate account and usually goes to local school districts.

For people not familiar with the area and seasons, I'll give a little insight. I'm guessing this was off the Flagg Ranch Road.

This is right next to the Idaho boarder. Idaho's general season opened Saturday October 10th and was also open Saturday October 16th. Guys are road hunting up and down all the dirt roads in the area. Several of these dirt roads cross into Wyoming from Idaho. Probably everyone of these poachers had an Idaho deer tag. Instead of turning around at the Wyoming/Idaho board, they decided to continue driving an extra couple miles into Wyoming. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them didn't even know they crossed into Wyoming.

Same thing happens on the Utah/Idaho boarder. Not uncommon for guys with Utah tags to hunt a just over the boarder in Idaho.

Glade they caught them. Hope they increase enforcement in the area in the future.

>>Easy way for them to make
>>money. I think its all
>>about making money on fines
>>
>
>The WYGF doesn't receive a dime
>from any citation ever written.
> Same with HP and
>other agencies, it all goes
>into a separate account and
>usually goes to local school
>districts.

Appaloosa is spot on!

I am not sure where this idea came from that fine monies go to the agency/department that writes the tickets, but it has been told and retold and people just don't get it.

FINES GO TO THE SCHOOLS - how the hell hard it that to understand!

And, some of you are surprised because 4 of 10 people shot at the decoy. Observing the hunters in some areas I am surprised it was not 8 of 10.

We have got to clean up our act!!

ClearCreek

I agree 100%. I think some of the confusion comes from that each state does it different. Here in Oregon the fines collected go into the "General Fund". The School funds come from the General Fund, but so does all of the State departments. So there are quotas to be reached here in Oregon. Just drive through with out of state license plates towards the end of the month, and drive 6 over the speed limit, and see what it cost you to visit Oregon.

DZ

I fully understand the 5 citations, but what the heck were the 5 warnings? Somebody else in the vehicle, or ?? Anyone have some insight?

Theyt need to do a lot more of it and they need to make it hurt. BAD.

I'd be willing to pay more for tags to fund it.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>>Easy way for them to make
>>money. I think its all
>>about making money on fines
>>
>
>The WYGF doesn't receive a dime
>from any citation ever written.
> Same with HP and
>other agencies, it all goes
>into a separate account and
>usually goes to local school
>districts.

You are correct, the G&F gets no citation money from fines. All to the school district. However, in the case of real game animals, if the judge fines restitution, the G&F gets the money and it is earmarked for access, I believe.

About 25 years ago, Oklahoma starting using decoys in Beaver County. A friend of mine saw it set up about 50 yards off the highway on a piece of property he had permission to hunt on. He parked down the road, crossed the fence and then loaded his gun in plain sight. He crouch and moved slowly up behind the decoy. At about 10 yards after a 15 minute sneak, he dropped his gun and ran fast as he could up behind the decoy and started humping it. The local warden and two more they brought in came running in pissed off. My buddy rolled laughing at them and asked for a copy of the video. Needless to say they had no sense of humor but couldn't charge him with a single infraction. I had a lot of fun with the local warden over it for the next couple of years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom