Wyomin

Solo619

I've been planning my 2020 season for quite awhile now. I've narrowed down my archery elk and rifle speed goat areas based on months of research. I have not contacted wardens, biologist or county offices as of yet. I'd like to start here with anyone willing to share.

My questions really pertain to weather and road conditions. What can be expected in mid late September? I haven't been to WY since chasing fire there on a Hotshot crew and based on precipitation amounts and historical averages I'm getting very mixed results.

I plan on being there three weeks as always. First week for goats and two remaining weeks chasing bulls. This will be on the southern border around spring creek and medicine bow. Again, I'm more interested in local weather patterns but, wink wink, any info would be greatly appreciated. I can offer incredible west coast offshore fishing if that's of interest.

Again, I will be contacting the bio, wardens etc., just thought I might start here. So, please don't go kicking my teeth in..

FYI, no I'm not a rookie, yes I do tons of research, I try to do all my chosen units at least two years to get the most out of it, I can help out with idaho and again, thanks guys...

Sorry about the teeth kicking but you've been planning your 2020 hunt for quite awhile, doing " tons of research" but haven't talked to the warden, bio, etc, etc ?? I get it, you're asking about weather but you really want hunting info :) With your experience out there you must know the weather can vary considerably at that time of the year. One day its 70, the next day there's a blizzard. Go on Accuweather and use the closest town (Saratoga, Medicine Bow ?) and you can get avg daytime high / low. You probably also know that just about all unpaved roads in Wyoming turn to complete snot and can be impassable if it gets wet. Good luck.

Lol, I have a long list to contact. This was just a piece of the puzzle. Figured I consult you fellows as others have helped me and I, them. My experience out there was not in the snow / rain. Always seemed to miss the late season fires there. Appreciate your time sir.

Mid to late September is typically dry, weather is warmer but it cools down low 30s upper 20s and roads are passable. This is typical or it could rain or snow everyday!

Tske a shot with specific units and points and I bet you get a few good replies.

It depends a lot on which area you plan to hunt and terrain around medicine bow. You are close to several elk areas so that might make a difference. If you want to know more be more specific on area and terrain for elk. For example area 7 is a large area and temps could vary 5 to 15 degrees depends on where you hunt.

> For example area 7
>is a large area and
>temps could vary 5 to
>15 degrees depends on where
>you hunt.

I'm assuming you mean at the same time in different parts of the area, because a 50 degree temp change can happen in a 24 hour period anytime in the fall.

I would plan on 4' of snow and grizzly bears everywhere!?

37205hornkiller.jpg

I hunted antelope 3 years in a row, all right around the last week of September-first week of October. The hunts took place in 3 different units around Casper. The first year was a freak snow storm, it dumped 12"-18". We couldn't hardly get anywhere. The next year the roads were fine but the second to last day it snowed 3" and froze hard. Year three we got no moisture and the roads were dusty the whole time. My take is this is a very unpredictable time of year. If I go again and the season opens in mid september I will try and go a little earlier.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom