Wyoming elk hunt

ironranger

A friend and I ventured to North Central Wyoming (Unit 45) bowhunting. Saw lots of wildlife including some elk. We were bouncing around different areas and weren't hearing a ton of bugling. On a few mornings they were bugling hard and On my 3rd evening, I found a herd bull bugling hard across a stream but ran out of light. Came back the next morning and he was bugling before first light and continued on as we tried to close the distance. He'd only come so far on the cow calls so I was trying to sneak in close enough for a shot. I probably got within about 70 to 80 yards but never got a look at him. The swirling wind change gave me up. While this was going on I looked over across a little section of meadow and saw a satellite bull going the other way. After he went out of sight I snuck along a little trough in the backside of meadow and beat him to the corner. I didn't play it well at all from then on. First mistake was kneeling down and focusing on where I thought he'd come down. I waited and waited for just a glimpse of tan to draw on and then caught movement to my right. He'd come out in another spot right into the meadow. I moved my bow over and he caught the movement. I was behind a downed tree and he could see the top of my hat. I figured what the heck and drew bow sideways and popped up into shooting position. I couldn't believe he didn't bolt....I put the pin on his vitals and released. Thwack! I had hit the top of that downed tree and arrow missed it's mark. The bull turned and trotted off. I went back to camp feeling a tinge of disappointment. He wasn't a monster bull but nicer than those I'd taken thus far. So I did some thinking that evening and reflected on past hunts. I'd taken a bad shot in Utah a few years back and just felt that after this slip that I needed to make a good shot on an animal. The next day I was sneaking along calling...waiting 10 to 15...then moving up and repeating the process....heard a few cracks of branches and saw the legs coming....The bull made his way up the hillside below me coming from right to left....he got behind some trees and i drew my bow...He came into my shooting lane and stopped....I picked my shot and made the shot....he wheeled around and ran downhill as i pulled out the cow call and gave him a few blasts...he stopped....I heard him breathe heavy...and he fell down....expired within another minute....I'd done what I wanted to and it was a double lung shot with frothing bubbles....he wasn't the monster bull I had thoughts of but I'm very happy I made a good shot and it was a confidence builder for me....the trip was so much more than that with the moose, deer, antelope, and other wildlife....getting charged by a bull moose on the last day of hunt....the fishing.....just hearing the bull bugle....next week I'll be going back with my friend to help him fill his tag....maybe we'll find one of those big bulls this time....should be fun....

bull.jpg

Glad to read ya had a good hunt.

Nothing beats being on the mountain and the whole dang experience.

congrats

Robb

Sounds like an awsome hunt. Your hunt went alot like mine i was in elk everyday, but they all would circle down wind before a shot could be made. On the 7th day i spooked a bull while getting set up, he went up hill and started barking at me. so i started cow calling and had a cow circle me and i shot her at 68 yrds. great hunt

congragulations
moseley middleton

That spike will probably be a little more tender on the fork than a big old bull.

Great job, Great shot you should be proud

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom