Wyoming General Seaon Deer plans Solution A

feduptwo

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-11 AT 10:52PM (MST)[p] The whole problem lies with the fact that the residents can hunt general season mule deer for 41 days with a rifle, and another 15 days with a bow. This is great for hunter opportunity but due to hunt quality issues, trophy quality, and overall health of the mule deer species this is not sustainable. We are just being opportunited to death. Non Typical has twenty years of winter range video to prove a decrease in quality and watching the video from later years almost makes a guy cry to see what this state could be and used to be. The quality decrease is not even debatable after watching the winter range footage from years past and comparing it to this year. Buzz H is right in the fact that every unit in Wyo has quality deer. I killed a 188? buck in the high country last year. I just want the top end to be like it was twenty years ago. Maybe this is not an achievable goal but I know it can be better than were we are now.
I believe Buzz H is right in the fact that limited quota statewide in Wyoming makes no sense. Its like cutting off your head off to deal with a acne problem. Not to mention that if Region G and Region H went LE most of the permits would turn into landowner permits for these units, due to large amounts of private property in the bottoms, and the low country.
I'm going to post solution A on this thread and solution B on a different thread. I would like everyone to comment on the pros and cons of these two different plans. I don't want this to turn into a name calling, argumentative post, just good quality Pros and Cons of both plans, and simple ways to improve the plans without going to extreme. After all we have less resident hunters than Utah has in one region.

Solution A would be a standardized statewide opening day Oct 1st with a reasonable length season, say 14 days. This would be accompanied by the following stipulations.
-Limited quota early September rifle hunts for the hunt areas that make up Region G and H with liberal amounts of permits approximately 1500 for each unit. The season dates would be Sept 15-25 to allow 5 days for the deer to rest before general season opened. (If you drew this permit you could only hunt the archery for this area and the early season hunt. You would not be able to hunt the general opener) On Oct 1st these areas would open as general season deer units. The Region G and H units would then close on or around the 9th of October to ensure the resource was not being over utilized.
-This plan wouldn't affect whitetail areas in the northern and eastern portion of the state nor would this affect one?s ability to harvest a whitetail if they choose not to harvest a mule deer.
Constructive comments on Solution A are appreciated on this thread. See and comment on Solution B plan too.

The Pros I see with this is it would really spread hunters around and increase the quality of hunt by helping overcrowding.

The Con I see is how do you ensure everyone gets a fair crack at the early rifle?

fedup,

It's good to see someone trying to come up with some solutions rather than B&Moaning about the problem.

I would rather not see an increase in limited quota areas statewide. Although I don't hunt region G and H, I can see the ripple affect of more limited quota areas affecting general season and limited quota tags that I do hunt so I feel that everyone statewide could have concerns with management direction in that area.

As to the "con" with your proposal, how would everyone NOT have a fair crack at early rifle? With a random draw for the limited tags, everyone would have the same odds of drawing, would they not?

I missed where you talked about a statewide Oct 1 general season opener. Most general seasons already run 10/1 through the 14th. I think that you may get some substantial resistance from the the areas that run general seasons in November (NE corner, Cody area.)

If there are sound, management reasons (based on science and biology) for the later seasons, I would want to see those addressed before implementing a statewide plan which is a "one size fits all" solution.

I do have problems with changing management strategies statewide based on percieved problems in several high profile regions. I would also only be supportive of management and season-structure changes that are based on the health of the resource, rather than demands for easier access to more and bigger bucks.

There is lots of guys in Cody complaining about deer quality. Those late season hunts used to be phenominal; now there average like the rest of the state.
This solution is to not fix the high profile areas, like you said but the whole state. Most areas suffer from hunt quality issue.

What do you think about solution B?

I like your first option better.

I think that we need to first and foremost decide if we're going to address hunter satisfaction or the health of the resource. I don't think alot of folks really know the difference. It looks to me like the overall herd health in G and H is on the decline and populations are significantly below objective. Yet there hasn't been a dow/fawn harvest over there for quite some time yet the herds are still struggling? Managing the buck harvest/pressure isn't going to address the overall growth or size of the herds, but it sure will affect the user satisfaction.

I think its alot more complicated problem than most folks think. Everyone wants to jump on the easy fixes, addressing hunter harvest, predators, etc. I think we need to look really hard at the habitat loss and conditions, and additionally manipulate hunter impacts with some of these options that you're looking at, as well as others.

Is trophy hunting going to be the overall driver for the future of big game management in Wyoming? Personally, I think we've got a pretty good mix in Wyoming, but that's only based on my limited experience so take it for what it's worth. Like I said earlier, I don't hunt those regions, but I have been involved in some of the habitat work there and I can see where in the future what happens over there might greatly influence the areas where I've got more at stake.

Watch for herd objective to drop soon in those regions.That's a lot easier than trying to bring the herd back to good health.G&F does have habitat improvements planned,and hopefully those will help.They look good on paper.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom