wyoming introduction

idelkslayer

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-13 AT 04:24PM (MST)[p]Hello from Idaho,

I plan to hunt Wyoming for antelope this year (2013) and I wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I may be asking for help figuring out the drawing system and finalizing which unit I will apply for. Not looking for big horns just a chance to hunt a buck and maybe have doe tag on the side. I know that I will be limiting myself to the eastern half of the state so that I can get a tag with zero points and I realize that it is mostly private land over there but I'm taking that all into consideration. Eastern Wyoming is also about half-way between myself and my hunting buddy who is temporarily living in Nebraska.

I've been researching for a couple months but now I've got to really narrow it down.

Thanks in advance.

Don't limit yourself to the eastern half of the state. Look at the central area where you can draw. Lots of BLM ground. Don't pay a guide or tresspass fee. You will also find bigger horns and lots of does. The first thing I found out on my first trip to Wyoming was 2hrs of driving is nothing. Second thing don't leave town without a full tank of gas.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-13 AT 01:57PM (MST)[p]Good advice by bowhunt10, especially gas, and it's good idea to carry some extra just in case! Look into unit 23. It has an awful lot of private property and that's why you don't even need to enter the draw because of so many leftovers. If you do your homework, there is enough BLM in the nw and sw parts to have a good hunt, as well as a big WIHA piece of property in the nw. After the first week you should also be able to get on a ranch or two for little to nothing to take a few does and those tags are real cheap, especially if you can get them as leftovers when there is no application fee involved. The Gillette G&F Office has a list of ranchers they will give you. I believe 23 is a four doe unit, but 2 tags have to be purchased in the draw and then the others as leftovers.

I hunted 23 last year. I thank TopGun for his advise, we had an absolute blast out there. That being said I wouldn't send my sister in law, the antichrist to hunt there. We did shoot 4 nice bucks but having been there and done that no way would I ever return to 23. Total craziness. Will send a pm.

Semper Fi

Crowds and crazy is what we found in our first trip to unit 32,but on our second trip we waited till after the second week end and only saw one other antelope hunter in 6 days of hunting and had no trouble taking a buck and a doe.
If I were to return there it would not be during the first week of season,I bet it is the same in most units.

Whiterock hit the nail on the head and that's why I advise everyone to skip at least the first 3 days of any season out there and preferably the first week. After that most areas settle down and you'll find a good time and still plenty of animals to hunt. If a guy is a bow hunter, September is absolutely glorious and peaceful out there, as well as some pretty nice weather.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom