Wyoming Moose 2015 draw

rambopup4

Going into the 2015 non resident Wyoming Moose draw my wife and I both have 13 non resident preference points. Due to our age and "point creep" we will never be able to draw either the Bighorn Mtns or Snowy Range Mtns for Moose in Wyoming. Any Monster Muleys members who have drawn other Moose areas in Wyoming or know any good areas we can draw with 13 preference points? Guided or DIY.
Stu

Here is a quick breakdown of what was needed last year (like I said quick, not perfect). Expect one or two points of creep this year.

12 Points: Areas 9,11,21,22

13 Points: Areas 5,6,10,17,20,33,35

14 Points: Areas 2,3,4,16,23,24,25,34

15 Points: Areas 1,27

16+ Points: Areas 26,38,42

py

Draw any moose permit you can this year. When the nonresident quota gets slashed next year you might be waiting over a decade more to draw the worst units.

2_point can you give some more background about what you are referring to?

MT_Grizz.jpg

I hunted Unit 10 a few years ago. The moose numbers are way down in this unit because of disease and predation. It is a fun unit to hunt with lots of country. I did take a bull. If you should draw it, PM me and I will give you some spots to hunt.

Wyoming has given 20 or 25% of the moose tags to nonresidents. A bill being considered will cut the nonresident moose tags down to 10%. That means many units with low permit numbers will not have a nonresident permit, while units with higher permit numbers will have see the nonresident portion cut in half. Easy to do the math on that change. The change would go into effect 2016 so this could be the last year of the higher nonresident permit numbers.

12 points last year would have only drawn in 4 units. That means it may take 13 points this year for those units.

There has not been a pre-filing of any such bill yet.
I guess we'll see what pops up but, as of yet, nothing so far.
Maybe we can escape this for a few more years???

Zeke

I'm not sure when it has to be filed to get voted on this year but I would expect it will be. Greed is a great motivator.

Wyoming will be the 2nd hardest hit state in the union by falling oil prices this year. it might be a tough year to change anything bringing revenue to the state for a while. if it doesn't pass that will be the reason.

Stay thirsty my friends

Well, falling oil prices might just have a sweet side-benefit. It might be a tough sell at the legislature because the current economic climate. I hope you're right 440!

We can expect to see a bill sometime in the near, or not too distant, future. I hope it's a few years out.

Zeke

>Here is a quick breakdown of
>what was needed last year
>(like I said quick, not
>perfect). Expect one or two
>points of creep this year.
>
>
>12 Points: Areas 9,11,21,22
>
>13 Points: Areas 5,6,10,17,20,33,35
>
>14 Points: Areas 2,3,4,16,23,24,25,34
>
>15 Points: Areas 1,27
>
>16+ Points: Areas 26,38,42
>
>py

Interesting break down...15 this year, so we'll see!

'Ike'

Bowhunter...

By the way, Wyoming SF 0069 failed!
It looks like we have at least 2 more years before anything changes too much.
The draw will be tougher and more time required to get a tag if/when Wyoming changes the quotas.....which they probably will in the future sometime.
Good luck to us all!
Zeke

I hunted 22 in 13 was on moose 27 time seen 19 bulls. Lot of small bulls they will be 2 year older by fall. If that will help anyone

Game of chance for sure...Although you have the break down of point holders, you never know who or where they'll put in for year to year...Makes point creep, creep! ;-)

'Ike'

Bowhunter...

Well, I am officially 1 point richer today...now at 17 points. 3 out of 3 NR tags went to those with 18 points, so I guess it could be several more years.

Each year I take some time to kick myself thinking about those early years when for whatever reason I would skip every other year of purchasing points @ $7.50 (I think). Don't ask me why.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Maybe I'll spend my deer and/or antelope points. Weird water year makes these 2 choices interesting. But those factors are becoming less and less important with each passing year.

I heard that Z-man is headed to the Cowboy state again, this time for sheep. Congrats to him and all the lucky tag holders.

Yes I did pluck some low-hanging fruit again and drew a sheep tag this time!
I feel very lucky!!!!

I'd rather hunt moose than wait for a "premium" tag, whatever that is.

Good luck to those who drew and better luck next to those who didn't. I feel your pain!
Zeke

It sounds like someone else got lucky or "plucked some low hanging fruit".
Congrats Sir GeorgeE!

It's exciting when those points vanish. That'd be my goal!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom