Wyoming Sheep

Lien2

Very Active Member
Just curious how long anyone has been applying and/or how many preference points you have for Bighorn sheep? I like the $7 for a point, but it's a long road for a license.

Lien2

I put in for 15 years in 4 separate states before I finally drew here in Idaho. I was 44 years old, and then drew mountain goat and moose each year after that. Been a long 10 years without another trophy tag since.

I have two sheep points in several states and soon to be three. It is a long road and I hope it ends in a tag. I'm 38.

I'm 25 noew but am kicking myself for not starting when I was like 16 as I knew that I wanted to hunt sheep someday. Good luck to All in 05!

You've just got to get in the game and then hang in year after year. I've put in to every state (12 of them) that offers sheep draw tags in the lower 48 for the past dozen or so years. I finally drew my first two sheep tags in '04. A MT ewe tag and the NM desert tag.

MNHunter - I hear ya, should've started long ago. If only someone could know where things are headed. :) What part of MN you from?

RamDreamer - Cool, how did your sheep hunts go last year? Especially the NM desert, that had to be a hard draw. Was it Ram or ewe?
Someday........

Lien2

Lien2,
I'm originally from south central MN (ever see Little House on the Prairie?), college in Duluth, now I'm in St. Paul.

From what I understand, RamDreamer got a BIG ram in NM. GSCO winter issue said it could be the 3rd largest ever taken from NM. Can't wait to see it in the next issue!

I'm 29 now and just started putting in this year. I wish I would have known better, earlier, but I figure if I start now and keep at it, I'll hopefully have a couple nice hunts lined up for myself when I get into my 40's.....Hopefully. I'm an Idaho resident and am thinking about applying this year for them as there is no pref point system yet here. We'll see.

Good luck to all in the draws this year!
Jaxon

Hi Guys,
My wife drew a California Bighorn ram tag in Washington state when we lived there back in '97. That was the first "premium" tag either of us pulled. Then it was a dry spell until '04 when I got VERY lucky.

You've all got the right attitude, just apply and pray!

Pulling that NM desert tag last year, yes it was a ram tag, was fantastic. I can't tell you how long I was in shock. The hunt was super. I've had serious back trouble the last eight months, but it held up for that hunt (had to cancel others and focus). The ram was green scored by New Mexico Game & Fish at 181 4/8 B&C gross. Haven't gotten the "official" B&C score after drying as my taxidermist in Tucson is getting that taken care of for me.

I'm sure it will come up, so I'll answer the question now. I need a Stone to complete my Grand Slam. Still applying for sheep tags everywhere in the lower 48 though - nothing like hunting at altitude, for the alpine species, it's the best.

RamDreamer-
I not actually a member of MN WI FNAWS ...yet. It seems like the banquets all fall on weekends I am out of town. I wanted to go to Biloxi but I am going to be in Detroit. Last year the MNWI banquet fewll on the weekend I had to go to upstate New York. This years falls on the weekend I am going to be in Boston. I will eventually join and hopefully make it to a banquet.
-Lee

Lee,

I understand. I didn't realize you were a "road warrior." I am too, but usually able to be home on the weekends if I want to be. I try to fly up to MN to help out at the MN-WI FNAWS gig, that's why I asked. I'm planning on being there again this year. Well maybe our paths will cross some time in the future.

-RamDreamer
I'm not a true "road warrior". I play on a national hockey team and we get together somewhere in the states about 4 long weekends between Oct and Apr. In addition, we usually have an international tourney somewhere as well, usually Europe. That said, off all the free weekends I have, the banquets always fall on the wrong dates! I'm sure I'll meet you sooner or later at one. Hope to go the GSCO convention next year as long as it doesn't fall on the weeks I will be in Italy!
-Lee

MNHunter,
Well, road warrior of a different sort I guess. Playing at that level undoubtedly gets you some serious airline miles. I hear ya about the dates. This year has been especially bad with multiple FNAWS chapters and other wild sheep type organizations having events on the same dates / weekend. Next year GSCO is back in Biloxi 2/09/06 through 2/12/06 ? Thursday through Sunday. It will be the organizations 50th anniversary.

I have 5 pnts in WY for sheep, will try for a tag this year. I am 33.

I have 2 weighted pnts in CO, 2 bogus pnts in MT, 1 desert pnt AZ, 2 pnts it UT.

Going to be a loooong time before I pull most likely.

I too wish I had started a long time ago, at the top of the sheep pool in WY if you have not drawn you are sure to soon, a good tag in 10 years max. is great.

Wish I started earlier for elk too.

Live and learn.

Don Ohio

MNHunter,

I hope you didnt apply for the Kaip. Utah desert permit. I am pretty sure I already drew the one non-resident tag for that unit.

LOL

Good luck, MNHunter in the draws. Like RamDreamer said, get in the game and stick with it. I was lucky enough to draw a bighorn tag on my first try with no points so it can happen.

So, RamDreamer, when are you booking a Stone hunt?

ramslam -
What state did you pull that tag out of on your first try?
Man, you should've bought a lottery ticket too! :) How did you do on the hunt?

Lien2

Lien2,

Don't go encouraging ramslam to buy lottery tickets - he won the New Mexico raffle for a desert tag a few years back! That completed his grand slam at a very early age.

ramslam,
Waiting on booking a Stone hunt due to this back of mine. Looks like it's going to mean surgery.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-05 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]ramslam,
I did apply for that unit..... I guess I should cross it off the list ..LOL.
I know I will get to go someday... I just hope that I dont get "priced out" as the states keep raising their fees. I don't mind the tag fees as I would pay about anything if I were drawn, I really don't like the "upfront" nonrefundable fees that seem to keep going up.
Oh well, if you wanna play, you gotta pay

RamDreamer- too bad about your back, hope the surgery goes well.

Good luck in the draws to all-
-MNHunter

Congrats ramslam on your Ram Slam. Ha......
That is impressive for sure, I would be happy with just one ram. How old were you when you got your slam? If you don't mind me asking......HOW DID YOU AFFORD IT?! LOL

Good luck to you too MNHunter. I grew up in the Bemidji area, live in Fargo, ND now. We have a bighorn season here in ND, but they only give out about 4 tags out of the 8,000 or so applicants and there are no bonus/preference point systems. They only charge $3 for the application and only about $20 total for other tags to hunt. I wouldn't mind seeing them increase this substantially. I'm not rich, but I would gladly pay a fee that is comparable to other states, and hopefully have better draw odds cuz there would probably be less applicants. Needless to say, I figure I better start applying in other states and hope I can go eventually.

Lien2

Thanks for ratting me out RamDreamer. LOL.

For some reason I have been very lucky. Verrrrry lucky. As RamDreamer ratted I did win the NM raffle to complete my slam. I was 31. I drew a resident tag here in Washington on my first try in 1995 for Rocky's. Sadly just months after taking my ram that unit was decimated by an all-age pastuerella die-off that has kept the unit closed since 1996.

I used my first house savings fund to hunt stone sheep in BC in 1998 (I am a high school teacher so I am not rich).

I used my second house savings fund to hunt dall sheep in 2001.

I bought one ticket for the 2002 NM state raffle and was able to hunt desert sheep. When killed it was number 3 in the state and now thanks to that greedy RamDreamer it is number 5. LOL

The bad news is I used my third house savings to build a house in 2004. LOL

So Lien2 & MNHunter & RamDreamer draw that Washington permit or raffle or Unit 11 or Oregon tag so I can bum a ride and go along in 2005.

P.S. I will post a pic of my Utah Ram this fall. Hehehehehe!

Not relevant. From what you have told me about the married life, nearly all wives would allow their husband to spend $20k in 4 years on two sheep hunts. I can't wait to get married.

Guys,

Check out this link for the breakdown of preference points:

http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/TotalPreferencePoints04.pdf

With 46 non-resident permits issued to those with maximum points, it will take 28.2 years to work through those with those with 6 or more points. When you figure those with 3 or more points, it will take 122 years. It will more than likely be longer than that, due to the fact those with the most points will stick to the better areas.

Resident permits are similar...29.3 years to work through those with 6 points or more.

I don't want to sound like a cynic, but the vast majority of applicants will never make it out of the random draw (25% of permits). Still, at chance at 25% of the tags is better than no chance at all. I'm just pointing out how difficult it is to draw a sheep tag. Once you draw, you realize just how lucky you are to have this special opportunity. Best of luck to all in the 2005 draws!!

Ramslam, sssshhhhhhh, theres no sheep in washington, at least theres not until i draw my tag. I went on a sheep hunt this year with my two cousins who drew tags, a fun hunt and they both got good rams. I have two good sheep units 10 miles from my house.

Ramslam, ya id like to see your rams. That link doesnt work if it was supposed to go somewhere.

Try adding .jpg to the end.

4213c7922b46d1a3.jpg

Nice room ramslam, what unit did your get your ram here in washington. where bouts you from.

Thanks. Its a work in progress but I just wanted to show I do have my priorities right. LOL

My Rocky Mtn bighorn came off the Grand Ronde River.

I live in Clarkston and teach in Asotin.

And you?????

dwalton - Thanks, but I didn't need to read your post and let all the air out of my balloon. lol :) Well, somebody has to get lucky and draw, so I might as well keep trying!

ramslam - Your my idol! :) To be a teacher, taking your house funds, being young, and having a Ram Slam, way to go. Your lucky you've done it, cuz when you get married and have a kid........at least you'll have the memories. :)lol

Lien2

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-05 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]RamSlam, I live in Selah, right by Yakima. My wife is also a teacher. Ive watched clarkston play bball here in yakima, they played my wifes school district west valley, that was when you guys had Josh Heyvelt, whos now at gonzaga, if im spelling that right.

I thought you must be in the Yakima area. You are close to several units (Clemon, Selah/Umtanum, and Tieton). Clemon is just going crazy with sheep. WDFW is giving about 15 head or so to the Yakima tribe. They tried to capture a few weeks ago but the sheep just laid out on the green hillsides and laughed at that old dry hay in the capture pen.

They killed some nice rams over there this year. I was really surprised at a couple 160 class that came out of Selah/Umtanum on the late hunts.

Close on the Josh's name (Heytvelt I think). I actually never saw him play but he was out here at Asotin quite a bit as he had a couple good friends here.

Clemans is where we hunted for my cousins sheep last year, they got them out of the same herd of about 12 and they shot them 30 seconds apart. They both score about 150. early hunt, It was a fun hunt and i cant wait till i draw. Ya i heard about them giving some to the rez, not to keen on that idea.

After looking at the Wyoming points, I noticed the number of applicants increased almost 7X about 5 years ago. Anyone know why the sudden increase in applicants.

Not sure, but here are a couple of possibilities.

That might have been about the time they went to 25% of the tags being open to everyone to draw, not just those with the most preference points.

Is that the time that they started the ability to buy a preference point and be assured of not drawing?

I'm sure someone has tracked it closer so maybe we'll hear from someone that is sure.

ramslam, great collection of critters... lots of memories in that room

RamDreamer, Sorry you had to miss Biloxi. I know you were looking forward to it but have been in a lot of pain the last few times I've seen you. Did the missus go? I hope the doc can get your back fixed soon.

Nontypical1,
Thanks for the kind words. Tammy didn't go either. There are times that the pain is such that I need her help. Thus, she stayed behind. Scheduling surgery for April. Six to twelve week recovery after that. Going to seriously screw up my hunting season. Won't be putting in for New Mexico as the hunt would be too soon (for Rockies, I'm now ineligible for Deserts).

I'm sure it's good to have her help. Good luck gearing up for the surgery, sounds like it'll be a rough few months. Too bad about the NM draw... with the way things went last yr... well maybe your luck in their draw will hold for another yr.
meanwhile, you've got plenty of memories from last season to carry you through :)
see you,

KJ

i've been trying every year for 28 years. no sheep tag for me yet. still hopeful though. im a carpenter so no hope for a auction tag but a guy has to dream though

I drew a desert tag in arivipa, az with 3 bonus points. I had to much work so put in for the hardest tag to get my bonus point. There was only 1 tag. Wouldn't you know. I cancelled all my work and killed a good ram on the 21st day. We were seeing about 5 to 10 rams a day and saw about 65 rams that were 3 years or more. (most of which we got on tape)

My buddy starting putting in for sheep after I got drawn and drew a kofa desert (az) tag with I think 2 bonus tags. He and hunted together and on the third day he killed the biggest out of a group of 7 rams and it was a beauty. We only saw one other ram (which also was a toad) but we only hunted 3 days.

We sure were lucky so I guess you never know. I've put in for just about every state since and have 3 points in most.

Ramslam, those sheep are great looking. The desert, rockie and stone look like they all got great mass and that dall has great length. That's quite a slam.

Some day soon, I'm going to post pictures of my and my friends sheep. I've got some video of mine going off a 300 foot cliff that I'd like to take a still photo of and post. You can see his rack in shadows off the cliff wall and its pretty neat. Can you imagine the feeling of seeing your once in a lifetime az desert ram go off a 300 ft rock cliff. To say the least, it got the emotions going.

yearin1 -
It's stories like yours that give me hope with sheep tags!
Congrats on your success.
Thanks for sharing your story and I look forward to some pics.

Lien2

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom