wyoming unit 26 moose calling

jetlag

I'm getting really excited for my moose hunt in unit 26. Thanks for all the help from forum members. I will be archery hunting in early September. Does anyone have any general calling techniques? I bought the primos cow in heat call.
thanks

I've found that the bulls in Wyoming respond very well to simple grunting. Pretty easy to do with just your hands.

Rut is later in September/early Oct.....but doing some grunts would be good early on.

Once my Utah LE bow bull hunt is done.....I will be heading up that-a-way....

Don't you have Washington plates? or is it Oregon?
If I see ya, I will give ya a heads-up to any bull moose I have seen.

Robb

Robb,
Got a new ford 150 truck so I won't have any plates. I'm leaving Wed night after my sons football practice with my cousin(Horniac). The plan is to cover seveal areas so we should be all over the place.

When I drew a Wyo shiras tag several years ago the bulls were wandering from cow to cow. They would smell a cow and see that she wasn't in estrous and head on. Cow calls are the way to go early in the rut when lone bulls are wandering. Cow calls can be heard a lot farther and tend to bring in the bulls better than faint bull grunts. Some times it may take some grunts or brush whacking to get them to come in close.

You really don't need any kind of cow call or bull grunts...just cup your hands and let're rip! Whack a tree and shred a tree or 2 w/a stick and you'll be amazed at what shows up in areas w/lots of cows and fresh moose sign.

Once cows start getting into estrous bulls tend to stay with them. If you want to raise the hair on a bulls main do some grunts to an incoming bull...especially when a cow is present! I actually like the early part of the rut when the bulls are actively searching for estrous cows rather than holing up with a horny ole cow.

The biggest problem early (other than locating bulls) is that you may see them in 1 place 1 day and they may be 10 miles away the next! Take advantage of them when you see them if they are without a cow or they may be gone!

Moose tend to hang out in deep, dark holes in early Sept when it is warm and are a little more mobile and active once things start to cool down. Cover lots of country and look for fresh sign.

Jetlag, instead of calling I'm sure the "Frank Muller starter kit" will bring them in fine( the shorts ,polo shirt, boots, and a new ford pickup)! Yep, after reviewing the stater kit it looks like you will do fine.Good luck , let me know if you want my ice chest.

CABugle

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom