X-mas present

ishootaRUM300

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-09 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-09 AT 08:38?AM (MST)

Now that Christmas is here and about to pass I need to figure out what I am going to get myself. Looking at a new rifle. So I am looking for something that would fall between 243 win and 300 ultra. I want something that could be a back up to my 300 but would not be way over kill for Minnesota. Thinking something like a 25-06 that could someday end up being a 25-06AI or a 7mm mag. It will be a Remington 700. What do you guys think??????????

You could get a Remington CDL SF Limited Edition chambered in .257 Weatherby. Not sure how long they will chamber it in .257 since its a limited edition, but I know you can still get one. Or you could get a CDL chambered in .260 Remington. Both would be fun rifles to shoot and reload for.
If your budget is lower than that, you can get an SPS in .270, .270 WSM, or 7mm-08. Good luck! I wish I had the go ahead for a new gun!

If it were me, IF, I'd buy a new Model 70 in 06 or .270. If for no other reason ammo is plentiful and cheap in these chamberings. I've been having some very pleasant surprises reloading for these two rounds lately.

I'd go with a .280 or a .270 or a .25/06. They'll work for just about anything and there's plenty of ammo out there for them and all of them are pleasant to shoot.

That .25-06 could someday be a 6.5-06. A friend of mine bought a CDL in .264 Winchester Magnum that is proving to be an enjoyable rifle. The stainless/wood is really nice looking. mtmuley

I would get a 25-06, that way when I get one I wont have to buy any of the die's:).

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I can spend your money as well as the next guy :)

I like the idea of a Rem 25-06 with future plans of a Ackley version. Instead of having the chamber reamed out though, i would have the gun completely re-barreled, one with a faster twist to handle higher velocities and heavier, 125-130gr pills. The .257 is not much smaller than the .264 which shoots 140gr bullets quite well. The custom 125-130gr .257 bullets would have great sectional densities, really high Ballistic coefficients, and be a great long range round for critters up to muleys.

Another possibility would be to buy a Rem in 270WSM with future plans to convert it to either a .264WSM or a .257 WSM, both have been done and are reputed to be screamers.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!!

Joey

>You could get a Remington CDL
>SF Limited Edition chambered in
>.257 Weatherby. Not sure how
>long they will chamber it
>in .257 since its a
>limited edition, but I know
>you can still get one.
> Or you could get
>a CDL chambered in .260
>Remington. Both would be
>fun rifles to shoot and
>reload for.
>If your budget is lower than
>that, you can get an
>SPS in .270, .270 WSM,
>or 7mm-08. Good luck!
> I wish I had
>the go ahead for a
>new gun!
The 2009 Rem 700 CDL SF limited Edition is chambered in 257 Roberts not Weatherby.Have one in my safe.

sidepass

In 2008 Remington chambered the 700 CDL SF in both 257 Weatherby and 264 Win Mag,(I have one in my safe). They are still available on Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com from various dealers. By the way I love my 264, check out the ballistics of a 140 gr Berger going 3150 fps, very flat shooting.

>In 2008 Remington chambered the 700
>CDL SF in both 257
>Weatherby and 264 Win Mag,(I
>have one in my safe).
>They are still available on
>Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com from various
>dealers. By the way I
>love my 264, check out
>the ballistics of a 140
>gr Berger going 3150 fps,
>very flat shooting.

Thanks for the info.

sidepass

stainless fluted wood stock Remington700 270WSM. Now I need to come up with what kind of glass. Do I take the glass off of my 300RUM 4.5X14X56 VXL Leupold with the cut out or just get a new VX3 4.5X14X50. Cabelas had a VX3L 3X10X50 in the bargain cave but I think I want a little more power. I am leaning more toward the idea of just looking for something in the bargain cave.

That sounds like a great reason. I will be watching the bargain cave and see what I can find. Sorry reddog I think I will be looking for a 4.5X14X50 or 56

Although probably unneccessary also, I'd go 4.5x14. I like the high power at the bench. Right now I have a few 4x12, and I bet I could live with the 3.5x10 pretty easy. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom