Your Hunting Lineage?

PaleHorse

Tallbuck1's post in the archery section got me thinking about why and who got us started hunting.

Who is it that got you into hunting?

For me it was my big brother Dirk. We come from a family of non hunters. He was cowboy kid in school and had a group of friends that liked to hunt. They were kind enough to invite him along bow hunting. In turn he would let me as his kid brother tag along on his hunts. For that I am eternally greatful. He has traveled the world hunting and I look up to him a lot!

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!" -Harry S. Truman

My entire family are/were hunters. Grew up in Northern Minnesota, both my mom and dad's side were hunters. My Dad had a bunch of relatives that would come up north to his parents farm to deer hunt on their property. Over the years they got to old and their kids never came up so by the time I started it was just my parents and brother (sister only deer hunted one year and that was enough). Growing up out in the country was great, spent dang near most of my free time hunting when fall came around.

Never experienced the "large" hunting group, so I learned to hunt as a single hunter or with 2 or three others. That has carried with me now hear out west and still have a small camp and like it that way. Don't like giving away my hard work to a bunch of others. This year we will have a total of 7 in deer camp. That is going to be difficult for me I think. That seems rather crowded but I like them all so hopefully it is fun and we are successful.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Both of my Grandfathers were hunters. My Dad, all my Uncles, their friends, our neighbors, going way back, not only hunted the Blacktails that were over running our ranch but made trips outa state for Muley bucks as well. Guess you could say that i grew up in the trade, didn't know any other way, and wanted, from a early age, to be as good or better a big Buck hunter as any of them.

I took my first good buck on the ranch at 10 years old and have been off to the races ever since.

I had a family member pass away not too long ago and made the trip off the mountain to attend and pay my respects. At the BBQ afterward one of my old time friends introduced me to a good friend of his.

He said something like, "Clete, i want to introduce you to one of the hardest hunting big buck getting after it SOB's to ever run these hills, Joey. Joey, this is a good Bud of mine Clete". Yeah, i suppose he fed my vanity some for old times sake but it sure sounded good to me as those really good hard hunting days are pretty much past my ability now.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

In central Utah, my grandfather was left to tend the sheep for a week at a time when he was 8 years old. He did have a small caliber rifle to help keep the coyotes at bay. "Hunting" is my blood. Without it, I would die.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

My father took me when I was young, despite the fact that he was more interested in golf.
Maybe the real culprit was my Grandpa Porter Rockwell. Some of his blood must still be pulsing my veins.

My Father, Grandfather and Step-Father primarily. In my circle of friends and family, there aren't many that don't hunt and influence me still today. mtmuley

I was lucky enough to be able to get started in hunting around the age of 8 because of my brother. He unfortunately started a bit later than I did.

My luck in hunting continued when I met and married a wonderful woman who also hunts! Her family is full of big time hunters. That just fueled the passion even further for me. Her grandfather was one of those old timers that I wished I could hear his stories. He was a very accomplished hunter. He has many large deer including 4 (that I know of) 200"+ bucks. I sit and drool over them all the time.

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!" -Harry S. Truman

I come from a long line of outdoorsmen and women on both my mom's and my dad's sides. I have great great greats that were furtraders for the Hudson Bay Company. I've heard some great stories over the years. My grandmother on my mom's side tells the story how my great grandfather was out working his trapline, leaving my great grandmother to hold down the farm. Things were lean and she had several young hungry childern. One morning she went out to feed the chickens and there was a big muley buck in the pasture. She knew they needed the meat but had never shot a deer in her life. She walked in house and got one of my great grandfather's rifles and walked out and dropped the big ol' buck with one shot. Hunting is in my blood. I was fortunate to marry into a family with a similiar long line of outdoorsmen and women. There is no doubt my kids have that same blood flowing through them.

I am a first generation hunter but have introduced both my sons and my wife to hunting. I am for the most part self taught. Never had much family to hunt with and have tried getting my brother involved and did for a few years waddling around in the marshes in pursuit of ducks but that kinda dwindled out after a few years of early mornings with him. I have every intention to try and bring my daughter-in-laws into hunting and also my grand children when the time comes as in my mind there is little better time spent than those in the great outdoors.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I come from a non hunting family unfortunately. My twin brother got into hunting by learning from his in laws. In 2007 my twin brother told me he was going to go hunting for a day by himself. With me thinking it wasn't a smart idea to go by himself, I offered my help so I tagged along that day. We saw few deer and a lot of other hunters that day but that outing got me hooked.

My twin and I have hunted a couple times together. He was with me when I harvested my first deer in 2008. But we have different ideas of how to hunt. He is not much for hiking at all where I like to get off the beaten paths or roads. But I'm forever grateful my bro let me tag along that day.

My oldest boy is now by my side in the field so hopefully this year he can fill his first tag at the age of 13 years old. I started hunting in my late 20's, so I've had to learn a lot quickly. So for now I put my boys name in as many draws as possible to get him the experience.

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

Interesting topic. To keep this heritage perhaps these stories will give us some insight into ways to promote an American tradition.

Fortunately for me I grew up and live in a small Southern Town. I live a stone's throw from where my Great Great Grandfather founded the community. Deer meat was more of a survival thing for those first settlers. My Grandfather was one of the first government trappers. He likely holds the record for mountain cats killed in a lifetime. Hunting was a big thing for all my family & neighbors. I was raised on bottled deer meat. At times it was all us 7 kids had for food. Well it's harder for our kids to stay and survive in these small towns. One of my boys might have a chance to make it 6 generations in this small town and likewise 6 generations of hunters. Do we need the meat like my Great Great Grandfather? Actually yes. Along with the garden, our bottled deer meat gets us through these times of high food prices and poor nutritional choices. Like most of us, I have gone through various phases of hunting strategy and motivation. From the most and biggest to just matching wits to just being blessed to be in a beautiful place to just being with Grampa and cousins and Uncles to loving seeing my own sons bag the big buck. I may be wrong but from what I see kids around here are just as hunting crazy as I was.

My family did not hunt. My father was always supportive of my hunting blood that runs through my veins. I think some come from Daniel Boone's sister Sarah, being my Great X5 Grandmother, and some coming from my Grandfather being half Indian. Anyway it has always been there. Growing up on farm land in the Boise valley was a great adventure. I got a 10-22 for Christmas when I was eight. After a week and two bricks gone my folks thought a BB gun was a better solution. At 12 I got a 20 gauge master mag from Coast to Coast hardware store. At 16 I shot 76 pheasants and over a 100 chucker and 100 quail, and several hundred ducks. My real teacher came into play on the big game. My scout master who always got his buck on opening day, told me he would take me. He said he would pick me up at 4. I said that is kind of late isn't it? He said in the morning. Wow my dad and I always went to breakfast before heading out at 10 or so. Well as most of you know we drove up the river to an open draw. Parked and headed up the hill two hours before day light. When it got light there were deer all over the place. That was the day my life changed forever. There have been a lot of 4 AM starts in the 30 years since that October morning. Thanks DJ for taking me along.

DZ

LAST EDITED ON May-14-13 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]Both my Grandfathers were hunters on both sides of the Family, but they were both dead by the time I was two years old.

So it was me and my Dad when I was young. I don't think he ever believed how bad the "hunting bug" would bite me!

meanddad.jpg

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

This is a story about my grandfather who grew up in SE Idaho on a dry farm. They lived in a dugout cut out of the hill and relied on the Lord and the rain to keep them alive and kicking. This would have been about 90 years ago.

Mel?s "Elk"

One night about dusk the sun had gone behind the hill and we were out in the front of the house, when someone called, ?What is that up on the hill?? Joe Mason said, ?It looks like a donkey with a box on it's back!?

Dad said, ?Mel, go get the gun. It looks like an elk!? It had jumped over the fence in the pea patch as if it weren't even there, and made for over the hill toward what we called ?the point?, with Mel, Dad, and all of us kids in hot pursuit. We got there just in time to see Mel shoot, and the animal, which was drinking in the canyon, fell. It was getting so dark we couldn't see much. About all we could see was a big black lump. Dad restrained us from running down until he could make sure that it was not still alive and fighting. Cautiously, Dad and Mel went down with the gun, ready to shoot if they had to. Dad said, ?My gosh, it's a moose! Where would a moose come from? And it's dead! Where on earth would it come from? Dad thought maybe it was from the river, and had come down from the park. The only thing dad could think of was that it had come from Yellowstone and it was from that River, the snake river.

Anyway, there was the moose. And there was a $500 fine for shooting a moose! So what to do now with it? It was early fall, and no refrigeration. It was a big thing. We surely needed meat. Something had to be done?quickly. Some of the men went to the stable to get the horses and wagon. Someone got on the horse and went to the neighbors to get help, as that thing was heavy. They brought the wagon back, and dug holes at the back of the wagon wheels, close to the ?elk.? (It became an elk right away, as there was a money fine on a moose. So we called it an elk.) Everybody in the whole country got a hunk of ?elk? for the threshers.

Well, they lowered the wagon wheels down into the ground, even with the elk (the moose), and everybody pushed, and pulled and tugged, and pushed and pulled?that thing weighed a ton! Finally got it up on there enough so that they could haul it over there into the timber. Dad hustled a pulley from somewhere and fixed it into a tree and they attached it to thing thing?and pulled it up into the tree. I can't imagine how a quakey could be strong enough to hold that big thing up, but anyway, they got it up. By this time it was getting dark. Mother had come down with a couple of lanterns. They had to get it taken care of. They couldn't leave it out, or the coyotes or something would eat at it, but anyway they needed to get the insides out and get it taken care of. We needed the meat. We?d never even seen a moose before. We didn't know what moose meat tasted like, but they hoisted that thing up and skinned it out. I've never seen so many insides. It just boiled out! I guess they left those for the coyotes. Well, they cut it up, put it on a wagon and brought it up to the house. Now what to do with it? We had no refrigerator. No place to keep much meat, anyway. Dad was up all night, cutting that thing up. Sending it over to the neighbors, ?Here?s a nice big hunk of elk for your threshers.? That meat came just in time. Everybody was having the threshers and had to have extra food.

Mother put it down in brine, made jerky, she did everything she could think about, and ate it until we couldn't gag it down anymore. The smell of it! We cut the head off, and those old horns were hanging around there for so long. Mel was going to mount it. Anyway, he kept the skin. We had that skin around for years. We had it in his bedroom. He was taking a course in taxidermy so he thought he would have it tanned. Every time we would sweep we would get a big dustpan full of that old hair! I got tired of that old hide, and it meant a lot to Mel because he killed that thing with one shot?downhill. He couldn't believe it. That thing died right in it's tracks.

Now came the fun of getting rid of it and taking care of it. I don't know what they did with all of it. We cooked it. Everybody cooked elk. Everybody had ?moose? for their threshers, (of course it was elk, and nobody knew the difference, unless they saw the head, which has just kicking around. Mel was going to mount that but never got to it.) The ssmell got so bad, he just cut the horns off and he finally buried the rest of it. Big old Roman nose it was. We couldn't believe it. We?d never seen a moose before, we kids. I mean the moose, we didn't dare call it the moose. We had meat. I can't remember how we got rid of it, but it was so much red meat! Once in a while, when we needed meat, we got it somewhere or other. I'm sure the neighbors knew it wasn?t elk, but nobody squealed on us because we were so darn glad to get the meat. It was elk to them, and manna for them, too?so no one ever told?or we'd have a fine to pay.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

I shot my first deer in 1965 under the tutelage of my father.
Enough said!

My grand dad was a waterfowl hunting fool but he was too old to go when I was old enough but maybe that's where I get the birdy part of my passion.

Zeke

I owe everything to my dad. He started me hunting at the age of 9. I owe a huge thank you to him for taking me at such a young age. I wasn't into deer hunting at the time, but while we were deer hunting i was shooting rabbits, and chipmunks. My dad knew we weren't going to get anything with all my shooting , but he still took me anyways. Thanks dad!!!!! After that while in high school, i had his gas card for scouting. That's when i really started to get into hunting. Thanks dad!!!!! Every animal since then i owe to him for being such a cool dude.

I'm the first hunter in my Family. My Dad never really cared for it but we were an outdoor oriented family. Climbing mountains, skiing, and camping. Dad made a career out of shooting avalanches and shot at Chinamen earlier in his life.

When it comes to hunting techniques and shooting, I'm pretty much self-taught. When it comes to influence, however, the following article I wrote the day my grandfather died says it all.

A TRIBUTE TO POP​

At some point in nearly everyone's life, another person ultimately will influence one's behavior --- conduct, morals, principles, ethics, whatever. My life was no different. Early on, my grandfather, Luigi Migali, became that person. Everyone knew him as "Pop."

Born in Sicily in 1891, Pop came to New Jersey as a teenager and worked construction jobs for most of his life. He battled through the Great Depression, saved enough money to build a house and eventually retired in the late 1950s.

Although the hunting opportunities close to home were meager, Pop made the best of them. Each year he hunted for deer in the hardwoods and farm fields of upper New York State, and on Thanksgiving Day custom dictated that he and the other men in the family spend a cool, autumn morning searching for a few rabbits, squirrels or upland birds.

The outings into the brightly-hued woods were only for grown-ups; I never went along with them. After learning how to shoot by sniping rats in a local dump, I eventually killed a spike buck on a hunt in New York State. I was 17 then and went with my cousin, who was also 17.

Although I never hunted with my grandfather back then, I spent a lot of time with him; weekend family gatherings and Sunday dinners typified Italian traditions. Because I was the first and only grandson, Pop might have played favorites. I'm not sure, but I do know we were always close.

Pop moved to Arizona with my parents in 1960, and my wife and I followed a few months later. At the time, he was already in his 70s. I had just turned 20. The hunting opportunities in our new home state excited us both. We immediately began a new relationship. In addition to being grandfather and grandson, we became hunting buddies.

During the time we spent together, Pop taught me things my urban upbringing precluded. He showed me the fundamentals -- the proper way to sharpen a knife, pluck a bird, field dress a deer and other things kids who had spent their early years in the outdoors probably had learned before they were 14.

I retained it all. But the philosophical things --- matters dealing with the moral or ethical side of hunting --- are what I remember most. Pop always told me, ?Obey the law and do only what you feel is right. If there's a doubt, don't do it.? I've followed that advice for more than 35 years now.

My two boys started to come along on our hunting trips before they were 10 years old. Their ?Papa? taught them, as well. Sometimes they still acted contrary to what Pop felt was right. When that happened, he corrected them, usually with his favorite short and to the point reprimand --- "Shame on you."

Like most youngsters growing up, my sons and daughter often shed tears as a result of a scolding or an insignificant hurt. Pop chided them with "Big boys (or girls) don't cry." That usually stemmed the flow of tears as it did for me throughout my childhood.

For 15 years, Pop accompanied me on every hunting trip. We scattergunned for fast-flying doves and flushing quail, crawled through the sage for speedy pronghorns, climbed the foothills for the elusive javelina and stalked through the pines for the majestic elk. And yes, we hunted mule deer, too; Pop relished it.

The North Kaibab usually produced venison for the freezer, so it became Pop's favorite hunting spot. I took him there whenever possible. In the early 1960s, Kaibab deer permits came easy. Later, however, after the drawing system went into effect, our hunting trips to the North Rim dwindled. If we failed to get a permit, Pop showed great disappointment.

Pop rarely was sick. The years eventually took their toll, however. A strenuous day in the field often caused him to experience severe leg cramps in the middle of the night. I would then climb out of my toasty sleeping bag and rub the baseball-sized knots in his thighs until the pain subsided. It never discouraged him, though. He endured the hurts rather than miss the thing he cherished most. Despite the fact his physical ability lessened, his love for hunting persevered.

While I spent my days stalking through the woods in search of good buck, Pop sat in one place for hours, waiting for a legal deer to show itself within range of his .30/06. Hoping to spook something toward him, I made a point of ending my day by circling toward his position. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. I could always count on finding Pop where I had left him, usually leaning up against a tree or sitting on a stump, watching and waiting. He marveled at the fact that I covered many miles in a day's hunting.

When my boys were a bit older, they often came along on dove hunts, and the oldest, Keith, even went with us on a Kaibab deer hunt when he was 8. Pop had sliced an apple and made Keith put a couple hunks in his jacket pocket so the smell might keep deer from scenting them. He warned the boy not to tell me because I had already told Pop I didn't think the smell of apples in the Arizona woods was any better than human scent. My son, now in his mid-20s, and I still chuckle about it years later.

Due to family circumstances, Pop moved back to New Jersey in 1976, and quit hunting about four years ago. He then visited every summer, and if I had killed some game the previous fall, he went home with a box of meat. Yet, his heart remained in Arizona; he longed to return for good. Last July, he got his wish.

His stay was brief. On October 12, 1985, three months after he returned to the place he loved most, my hunting partner made his last stalk.

Without a doubt, he's probably watching me struggle through this column and saying, "Shame on you. Big boys don't cry."

Pop was rarely wrong. He would be this time.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Got my start with my Grandfather and Uncle along with their group of hunters when I was 12 years old. Went coyote trapping with both of them from the time I was about 8 or so each summer in Nevada County in NorCal.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Both my mom's and dad's sides of the family hunt. I remember hunting with my great granddad, my granddad and my dad. And I even remember my great gramma and my great granddads sister killing deer. I have been hunting seen I was born basically.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

My father...

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

My dad, he still attemts at 70, but hes just can't get around anyome. I haven't hunted with him in many years as my style and his don't mix well. However, without his teachings, I would not be as successful as I have been. I thank him often for teaching me the basics that still seem to be the most important things.

For me it was dear old Dad!

We never really hunted Elk but we always chased after Mulies with the rifles back when I was barely old enough to walk. He drug me around and lost many an opportunity because of it but he taught me a ton.

I still remember the good ole days hunting with my uncles, sitting around the campfire telling stories, watching my Dad connect on an animal and participating in the rituals that ensued.

When I was finally old enough to tote a rifle myself I connected on a spike, but that same year we had an experience with a near miss from a stray bullet. I still remember my Dad standing up from our overlook of the canyon we were hunting and telling me to follow him back to camp. We loaded up camp and left not touching a rifle for hunting for years to follow.

We went down and bought bows and took up archery and I have been hooked ever since.

I have since hunted with my rifle and have even had my boy show quite a bit of success with his rifle (2 bucks and a cow elk by 15) but we are still mainly archers at heart.

Elk hunting with my bow is now my favorite past time with Mulies a close second but we also love to just be in the outdoors chasing anything that gives us a challenge and hunting for me and my family and friends continues to be a family affair.

I have drug around my boys since they were old enough to walk missing quite a few opportunities in the process but they are now becoming quite the outdoorsmen and I couldn't be any prouder.

There is no better quality time with your children than being in the outdoors away from the hustle and bustle and all of the conveniences and distractions of the modern world.

I owe my heritage to my Dad and I am very grateful to him for it, but we ultimately come from a long line of hunting.

My Grandpa died when I was a little boy and I sure wish I had one of his old trophies to remember him by but that was back when you didn't really care about the antlers cause you couldn't eat them anyway.

He did hand down to me an old Colt single action .22 revolver and I cherish that very much. Hopefully I can pass that along to one of my grandchildren along with a few trophies for them to share with their children and grandchildren and the tradition will continue.

Sorry for rambling! Great thread and I enjoyed hearing about others expereinces.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Year 1790, foothills of the Swiss Alps, my great, great, great grandfather survived a bear attack with permanent scars from the bear?s claws. He became known has? Bear Foot? or Barfuss pronounced in German. I'm glad I didn't end up with his last name, but he's the earliest known hunter in my lineage that I know of.

His son Christina Barfuss immigrated to southern Idaho and hunted to feed his homesteading family.

His son, my great grandpa, was an avid hunter/fisherman.

The hunting lineage carried on to Gramps, my Dad, Me and now my Boys. A heritage I can't put in words to express my gratitude and blessed life for.

3436old_timer_photos_deer.jpg

4957new_image.jpg

7197p9300002.jpg

3701g_brookie.jpg

This is a good post to illustrate the flawed business plan of the DWR and a lot of fishing organizations. Out of 23 responses I didn't see one mention of youth permits or programs designed to get the Nintendo generation involved. It has always been my argument that hunting/fishing is passed down from generation to generation. If you provide more opportunity for the fathers/grandfathers they will bring the younger generation into the fold. Taking permits away from adults or spending money promoting youth programs will not stand the test of time.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I disagree with more opportunity for the youth to harvest an animal, like hunting all three seasons, I'm simply saying taking from one age group and giving it to another will not work. If a particular kid does not have the hunting linage in his family the chances are he never will. And before someone blasts me for my statements I do understand there is always exceptions to the rule. However if your looking at it from a business plan it is a bad idea.

I'm not really sure why organizations don't view it the same as triage or in the same manner as managing a herd or a fishery. The intent is to protect the breeding stock or spawn class to ensure the future of the herd/fishery. In this instance it is no different. Provide more opportunity for the fathers and the system will be self sufficient.

Opening weekend of deer season is pretty much a religious holiday in my neck of the woods. Everyone in my family hunted except for my grandparents on my mom's side, but they were city folks; he traveled the world to go fishing though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom