Youth Cow Hunt

muleyman

Very Active Member
I'm soooo exited this year! My daughter has a great chance at drawing a cow tag in E. Oregon and the season is FIVE MONTHS LOOOONG!

Who else on here put in for tag(s) for their kids???

TEACH A KID TO HUNT!!!

muleyman

>I'm soooo exited this year!
>My daughter has a great
>chance at drawing a cow
>tag in E. Oregon and
>the season is FIVE MONTHS
>LOOOONG!
>
>Who else on here put in
>for tag(s) for their kids???
>
>
>TEACH A KID TO HUNT!!!
>
>mule

I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about putting kids on antlerless hunts. Do you really want them to get hooked on hunting? Antlerless hunts with a baby fetus inside them forming is not the way. Put them on a buck or a bull and you won't have to do any more convincing.

I concur. I can not rifle hunt for a cow. Cutting a fetus out of cow is not my idea of a good clean hunt.

I'm sure there are many reasons why cow hunts are set during November and later, but it's not something I care to participate in... to each his own I guess.

Doe tags are another story... The doe hunts that I know of are all pre-rut... no problem.

In response to both replies; you're both saying...as long as its done before the "rut" you're OK with it? You both must be against archery huntin for cows also since its pre-post rut? How many elk tags are sold each year in Oregon? 190,000+. How many youth cow tags are sold each year? 975. What is the average bull to cow ratio in Oregon? 9 per 100.

Soooo yes, I'm taking my daughter out to hunt and hopefully take a cow. Most likely it will be in August PRE-rut, but things may change. If it does happen later on say November, the "fetus" won't be any larger than my middle finger :)

muleyman

BTW My other daughter hunted/killed a DOE last year in DECEMBER in E. Oregon...

Nice work. My son has one point and he is in for the youth Imnaha cow hunt. This should be a great hunt for his first hunt. My family has harvested many cows and does over the years. I care as much for the animals as anyone out there. I voice my opinion to those who set the regulations not another hunter. If we do not divide ourselves into different groups of hunters we will be much harder to conquer. I don't hunt cougars or bears with dogs but look at what has happened to the heard. Lets stick together.

I don't really have a problem with the cow hunts, the doe hunts are pathetic in my opinion ans a poor way to start off a hunter. drive down the road and pop a yearling out the window, who hoo now you're a hunter.

The problem I have with the youth hunt in the Ochoco unit where I'm at is you see one kid in a crew cab with two brothers, a dad, two uncles and maybe a cousin, and a dozen guns. one way or another that tag is getting punched.

To the guys who make it the kid's hunt, go for it.

>In response to both replies; you're
>both saying...as long as its
>done before the "rut" you're
>OK with it? You both
>must be against archery huntin
>for cows also since its
>pre-post rut? How many
>elk tags are sold each
>year in Oregon? 190,000+. How
>many youth cow tags are
>sold each year? 975. What
>is the average bull to
>cow ratio in Oregon? 9
>per 100.
>
>Soooo yes, I'm taking my daughter
>out to hunt and hopefully
>take a cow. Most
>likely it will be in
>August PRE-rut, but things may
>change. If it does
>happen later on say November,
>the "fetus" won't be any
>larger than my middle finger
>:)
>
>muleyman
>
>BTW My other daughter hunted/killed a
>DOE last year in DECEMBER
>in E. Oregon...

To clarify, no I am not for ANY antlerless hunts. Especially since our herds are in trouble (cougars, now wolves and poaching). But to be perfectly honest, my first elk was a big cow with a bow when I was thirteen years old (I had missed shots on 9 different bulls so my uncle told me to break the ice on the next legal animal). All bulls since then. Never shot a doe and never will. First buck was a 3x3 with eyeguards (shot one horn off, shooting over open sights) when I was 13. Missed a couple of bucks the first year at twelve. I'm 38 now and have killed at least one buck every year since. I got the hunting bug early on as I came from a hunting family. Us kids were "forced" to play dog and run the brush patches before we were old enough to carry guns. There are many ways to get kids involved without having to kill a mama.

>In response to both replies; you're
>both saying...as long as its
>done before the "rut" you're
>OK with it? You both
>must be against archery huntin
>for cows also since its
>pre-post rut? How many
>elk tags are sold each
>year in Oregon? 190,000+. How
>many youth cow tags are
>sold each year? 975. What
>is the average bull to
>cow ratio in Oregon? 9
>per 100.
>
>Soooo yes, I'm taking my daughter
>out to hunt and hopefully
>take a cow. Most
>likely it will be in
>August PRE-rut, but things may
>change. If it does
>happen later on say November,
>the "fetus" won't be any
>larger than my middle finger
>:)
>
>muleyman
>
>BTW My other daughter hunted/killed a
>DOE last year in DECEMBER
>in E. Oregon...

Love the middle finger reference!!!

Muleyman,

I say good for you! Take your daughter hunting and I hope she has a great hunt. Make sure to post up some pics. Good luck.

BC

WOW! What responses! Muleyman, Good luck in the draw! I hope your daughter draws out, and gets to harvest a great animal with her dad by her side. Would not get any better than that! I can't wait for my little girl to harvest her first big game animal. Can't wait for the smile, and look that will melt the toughest of hearts! As long as your teaching hunter ethics, and spending time with loved ones, does it matter if the animal has horns, or not?

The fetus is not the issue. What is the difference of a young hunter taking a two month pregnant cow as a first step in becoming a hunter or a predator killing it as soon as it hits the ground?

Muleyman,

In fairness, I believe Jupiter had stated that killing a cow "wasn't for him." Not sure he was saying you shouldn't do it.

I'm in the same boat... Killing a pregnant cow is not for me, but I hope you and your daughter have a great hunt... Doesn't bother me a bit that you do it... it's just not for me.

>The fetus is not the issue.
>What is the difference of
>a young hunter taking a
>two month pregnant cow as
>a first step in becoming
>a hunter or a predator
>killing it as soon as
>it hits the ground?

Really? You don't see ANY differance? So you think if the first time hunter sees a squirming fetus laying in a gutpile would not in anyway be traumatizing? Hell I would think that most kids (and adults) for that matter would have at least SOME issue with it.

Start your own thread about the fetus crap.
I have taken many kids on late cow elk hunts and out of over 20 cows in Dec, and Jan, very few had a fetus.
When they did have a fetus the kids thought that was the most interesting part about it and nothing was squirming around.
If you can not just wish a guy luck on drawing a late cow tag keep your A-Hole shut or start your own thread.
Rick

LAST EDITED ON May-22-11 AT 06:58PM (MST)[p]>Start your own thread about the
>fetus crap.
>I have taken many kids on
>late cow elk hunts and
>out of over 20 cows
>in Dec, and Jan, very
>few had a fetus.
>When they did have a fetus
>the kids thought that was
>the most interesting part about
>it and nothing was squirming
>around.
>If you can not just wish
>a guy luck on drawing
>a late cow tag keep
>your A-Hole shut or start
>your own thread.
>Rick

That's the problem ........just because you can don't make it right!

Yes I came acoss with the fight atitude, not my real intention.
But it is hard enough to get young people interested in hunting and when they are how long until they draw a buck or bull tag or get that chance for a shot?
One of the key's in my opinion is if they can harvest something they will be hooked for life be it a cow or doe.
Rick

I'm not a scientist so I have no data to drive my concern, but I have a hard time with any antlerless hunts when the overall numbers continue to be so low. It just doesn't make sense to me. No matter how many times ODFW tries to explain their logic it doesn't add up. I'm probably just too stupid to understand but I do know that deer numbers are much lower in Eastern Oregon than they were 25 years ago and ODFW is still issuing anterless tags... I sure hope their approach begins to work someday.

I was raised with the mentality (because my Grandparents were ranchers) that you don't kill of your heifers (does and cows) if you want to grow (increase) your herd. Unless your herd is nearing carrying capacity of the space and feed it can provide (Oregon is not even close to capacity) you leave the females alone.

Muleyman,
I think it's great that you're taking your daughter on a cow hunt. I can't think of a better way to introduce a kid to big game hunting. Plenty of challenge but a better chance to be successful than a bull hunt. Don't let the blowhards here discourage you, keep up the good work, her time hunting with you will be something she'll always remember (even if you're not successful). What unit did you apply for? PM me and if you're close to where I live I'd be happy to steer you toward some good spots. Good luck!

Most of you are barking up the wrong tree. Hunters that hunt an antlerless hunt are not to blame for the hunts. Fish and game makes the call. If I don't put my son in for a Youth Cow hunt do really believe it will go unfilled. We will be several miles back in the wilderness when first light comes, to those who believe all first time hunts are done out the window of the truck. As long as there is hunts to go on me and mine will be out there, antlers or not.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion...but this is an opportunity to share something with my soon to be "teenaged" daughter that who knows if she will have any interest in doing ANYTHING with her old man soon! I am going to cherish this time with her and make some memories that will last a lifetime.

muleyman

Well put muleyman! Teenage daughter, oh man! You will be left in the dust in no time! LOL!! Please keep us, that are interested up to speed. We want to see the pics!!

Muleyman,
As a wildlife biologist and father of three daughters, (up and coming huntresses) I say great job on taking your daughter hunting. Don't let the armchair wildlife professionals turn you off from your experience with your daughter. Even the most hardcore hunters suffer from the Bambi Syndrome. Every wildlife professional will tell you that antlerless hunting is the backbone of sound wildlife management.

I'm also a strong believer in getting kids out in the wilds at an early age and getting them hooked on hunting. In most cases, a certain degree of success is required for this to take place.

I have had many folks jokingly ask me why I would waste time in taking my daughters hunting with me when, "They aren't really going to want to hang out with you in the woods when they turn 16". To that I just smile and say, "maybe, maybe not, but for now they love it, we'll always have the memories of great times together, at least they'll understand it and someday their husbands will likely thank me.

Good job and post the pics of the successful hunt.
Hammnit

Good luck to you muleyman. I hope she draws. I read your post and thought good for them. Only to surf on to read a few haters posts. Why would they even post that crap. If they don't want to hunt a cow don't.

I was really against these hunt's at first for a number of reasons, but at the end of the day I too feel that youth need to get out there any way possible and have some success along the way.

WANTED is a pretty good guy after talking with him...nothing personal taken here boyz!

BEST of luck to y'all this coming season and I hope a few of us takes something we only dream about.

muleyman

Muleyman,

Good for you! That tag is killer and should be an easy, enjoyable, and memorable hunt. As for the other yahoos that think this hunt is unjust, I have a few comments. There is nothing wrong with hunting cows if they are females and have the chance to be packing along a little one. We have all done it. If I was given the chance to do it again, would I do it? If I could, I sure as hell would, To feed my family, Its all ive ever WANTED to do. Everybody knows cows taste better anyways. Cattle and Elk are two total different subjects when it comes to how they are raised and controlled. One is for a lifestyle or paycheck and the other is for a sport. Its just funny how some people cannot see the DIFFERENCE.(spelled correctly I might add)

Back
Top Bottom