Youth Pronghorn Hunt Question

Iowan

We had a great pronghorn hunt in Unit 16 recently and I promise I will post pictures of all these hunts at the end of the season.

Our next hunt will be the youth pronghorn hunt in the NE part of New Mexico (41,42,43,46-48,54-59).

The way I read the proclamation below we can hunt any legally accessible public land and any of the A-Plus participating ranches in this area?? I have a note into the game warden for the region also. I thought we had to hunt only legally accessible public ground - if we can hunt on any of the A-Plus ranches this just become a much better tag than I thought.

The proclamation reads:

Youth-Only Hunts: Applicants must be younger than 18 years of age on opening day of the hunt
and provide proof of a Hunter Education number (pages 8) to apply and carry a certification number
(required) while hunting with a firearm. Adult-Youth-Only Hunt: A hunt consisting of at least one
adult (18 years of age or older) and up to three youth (younger than 18 years of age on opening day
of the hunt). Youth must possess a Hunter Education number. Closures: Parts of Units 10, 13 and
28 are subject to closure by the Forest Service and/or the military during operations. Units 29, 50
(north of Hwy. 64) and 52 are unit-wide. All licenses issued for these units are valid on any legally
accessible public lands within the unit(s) for which the license is issued and on participating ranches
with signed NMDGF hunting agreements.

Units 29, 50(north of Hwy. 64) and 52 are unit-wide. All licenses issued for these units are valid on any legally
accessible public lands within the unit(s) for which the license is issued and on participating ranches with signed NMDGF hunting agreements.
It is unclear if they are talking about all of the units or only 29, 50, and 52. I'd make a call and clarify.

I hunt cause I love it!

let us know if you find anything out on that. My niece has a youth hunt also and that would make a big difference as where to hunt.

You may only hunt on legally accessible public grounds within the units for which you have a tag. There is one exception to this in the rules which caused some confusion for me.

I am sure the landowners might disagree but it would be nice of the youth hunters could hunt the A-Plus ranches so you did not have to hop around on the public ground. There is plenty of public ground but it would stink if you made a mistake and ended up trespassing.

Still a really good tag to have.

Thanks for response. There is lots of public land this year, but who knows for the future with our (well you know what) land commissioner.

I do agree that it is still a great tag to have. I am taking my niece this weekend on hers. Hope it goes well. Hoping to get her first big game animal.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom