011,012,013 bucks??

HUNTER43

Anyone have pictures of 011,012,013 deer taken so far this year? Interested in hearing everyones opinion on what type of buck to hold out for on the late rifle hunt. So far im getting mixed opinions

I can't speak for the late hunt, but in 2011 I had an archery pronghorn tag in this unit and had a few trail cams out there. The biggest buck seen was on a trail cam at night. It was a small buck that might be the smallest four point I've ever seen (~18" wide). I hope the later season is better than August. You might want to look in the southern and western part of the unit. I'm sure others will chime in and offer up some advice.

I hunted buddies with both the early and late season last year. Did not see any shooter deer (decent 4x or bigger). A ton of 2-3 point bucks with thin horns a couple small 4x. I also was up there for antelope this year. Didn't see any shooter bucks while on that hunt. Seems like the area is not what it once was. I heard they are seeing some OK bucks up closer to the Sheldon.

WOW!!! That is tough to hear guys but does match up to my scouting efforts pretty well. I was very exited about this tag when draw results came out but its starting to look like taking the first 4x4 i see would'nt be a bad idea

Just got back from the area. Saw good numbers of deer, just no big bucks. Saw a couple small 4x and 4x3. The big thing is I saw more hunters than deer. Campsites all around Boulder, Hays Canyon. Be carefull driving up the main roads a ton of quad and UTV traffic and there are some blind corners.
If I had more time I would look north of the area.

Scouting the week before the 5th I found the most concentrated bucks to be in Hays Canyon. Nothing great, an 18 inch 3by4 an a high and wide forkin horn, maybe 27 inches and tall. The usual spikes and forkys. The deer were lower than usual and hanging near water.
Opening day and the week to follow showed more hunters in the area than bucks in Hays canyon.
I hunted the last two days of the early season and went North to hunt West and East of Via on the BLM land. Scouting two weeks earler showed hardly any tracks or sighn up in the rim rock where I have done well in the past. Was seeing good tracks up in the high deer beds and deer were hanging out near springs and seeps upon my return. Shot an OK 5by5 that I spotted from the rim rock at a spring almost at the valley floor.
I have drawn this tag about 5 times over the past 30 years. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on.I think it will get better for you with the rut and some weather.
Hope you have a great hunt.

I cant figure out how to post a picture. The guy two posts back that said shoot the first 4x4 you see is sound advice.

We got back last week from out there. It was hot and dry. Most deer were near the water. We saw 30 or more bucks, most were young. My buddy took the biggest one we saw, a 170 4X4, out in the flats. I shot a crabby 24 inch 4X4 the next day and we headed for the meat locker. Water was the key. We hunted mostly 011. Great camping weather.

Moose

My buddy's buck.

3786img_1430sa.jpg

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Nice buck!! I was there last year. Searched and searched but never turned up any big bucks. Took a small buck on Boulder Mt. in 013. No tag this year but hoping to give it a shot next year. Again congrats.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-14 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-14 AT 04:47?PM (MST)

Picture requested

Short of a monster, that is about the best buck a guy could hope for out there. It's a beaut, Clark. Nice work.

I agree, pretty nice buck. I turned in this tag this year, mostly because I drew an elk tag for the same dates, but maybe I lucked out in doing so. Now I am wondering if I even put in for this unit next year...

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom