061,071 Elk

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Why are the draw odds so much better on this hunt than any other? In '09 there were 11 tags given out. Is this not a very good or productive elk unit? I've got 5 points and I'm just looking around. Thanks for the help.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

061, 071 is weird. It can actually be a tough hunt. With much pressure, the big bulls head into Idaho, or onto the Duck Valley Indian Reservation where they are off limits. I have hunted it 2 years in a row for cow elk during the muzzle loader season. I have seen some dandy bulls, and I think it could be worth it if you scout hard, and are sitting on a good bull day before opening day. After that, its a rat race and a crap shoot.

Later,

Marcial

Ditto. The guy that helped me on my Ely muzzy hunt in "09" helped a rifle guy out in that unit the same year. The guy took the middle of 5 bulls, 2 being bigger. It scored in the 330s with a broken 3rd on one side. I was told the biggest was easily in the 360s. He shot it at first light, opening day. He said when those elk stopped running they were in Idaho. And they beat 3 other groups that had scouted those same bulls. The guy that helped me is applying in the Ely unit if that means anything.

Not much info and all second hand.

Thanks for the info guys. Seems to be about the same so I gotta believe you! Most of the other units require like 10 points to even sniff a chance to draw....and that's even if there is a NR hunt for that unit. That sucks!

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Very good unit! If you want to walk and get away from all the road hunters you will find a 350+ bull. Every year we seat high on the mtn and watch the rat race.

I hunted the unit in 2009 and had the best hunt of my life. Shot a 355 bull. I spent 4 days scouting the unit in early sept and 5 days prior to opening day. Saw over 500 elk and 50 bulls with some larger than the one I shot. I talked to hunters from previous years that had hunted the unit and they all agreed that the key is to spend the time scounting prior to opening day to locate the bulls.I have a friend that hunted the unit this year and could not do much scouting and could not get away from the ranch to hunt the opening week. When he got to hunt it had snowed and had a hard tine accessing the unit and a lot of the elk had gone to Idaho. I believe that the unit will have a split rifle season this year . You should look in to this if you hunt the early season and scout the unit you should have a great hunt. Good luck

That unit 061,071 has the third largest NV. Elk herd. Ely 111-222 is the largest, Pioche or 231,241,242 is the second. Good Bulls Killed in that unit every year.

Thanks guys for the info.

Steve

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom