1 Bow, 2 Antelope, 2 States, 1 Day

MTQuivers

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-09 AT 07:21 PM (MST)

On Friday Sept 18th after work my six year old son Dallin and i set off for Colorado for my archery antelope hunt. We left at about 7:00 and arrived in our Unit at about midnight. My boy was already asleep so I went ahead and set up our antlope blind in the dark. I had found this waterhole the previous week and knew that some good bucks were using it. However the antelope had been quite leary of the blind so I made sure to brush it in very well.
4ac3ff993a663556.jpg

I then drove about 500 yards away and parked in a little gulley and set up our tent and we got to sleep.
The next morning I woke Dallin up and we walked to the blind before it got light.
4ac3ff6d39740574.jpg

When the sun started to come up we immediately started spotting antelope from the blind. By 8:00 I had already passed on 4 bucks and had several does at the water. For those who haven't hunted antelope out of a blind this is an awesome experience. I had Dallin set up on the tripod with my video camera and he had a great time videoing all the antelope, potguts, and birds. Pretty soon a nice heavy buck came pushing his does to the water and Dallin said I had to shoot this one. He got the camera ready and did an unbelievable job of videoing the bucks approach and the shot. (When I got home and watched the footage I couldn't believe how well he did.)It was awesome and the buck went down within sight of the blind. Dallin was so excited when he watched the antelope go down.

4ac3ffdd3c6e3556.jpg

4ac4048a64138f66.jpg

We got the antelope all quarted up and in the cooler on ice and I looked at my watch and realized it was only 10:00. We had planned on hunting in Colorado all day but we still had lots of hours left and I realized that I had a Wyoming antelope tag in my pocket as well. I said Dallin do you want to go to Wyoming? If you know my boy it didn't take much convincing. We hurried and took down the tent and jumped in the truck. About 4 hours later we were sitting in an antelope blind in Wyoming. Unfortunatley after 3.5 hours in the blind we never had any antelope come in so we took down the blind and headed out to find a hotel room. On the way to town, and with about 20 minutes of light remaining, we spotted nice buck in a good spot and decided to give it a try. I was able to get within 70 yards of the buck and I took aim and let an arrow fly. It him perfectly behind the shoulder. He traveled about 15 yards and started flipping cartwheels in the sagebrush. Once again my boy watched him go down. He was so excited.
I couldn't believe we had pulled it off. Two antelope with a bow in two different states in the same day with my 6 year old boy there helping every step of the way. I know we will both remember that hunt for a long time. That day will definetly be tough to beat.

4ac4027551cc3349.jpg

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

Awesome story/pics. Even better to be able to share that with your son! Congrats on your success!

That is awesome! I bought a PLO doe tag for the hunt unit that I live in, hoping to be able to share the experience with my sone. He's 3 1/2 and loves animals!

Very cool.....congratulations. The young man sure looks happy being with dad.....way to go!

BOHNTR )))---------->

Congrats on the antelope, and the other antelope! looks like you two had a great time and are making some great memories state to state! Congrats again to both of you, because we know you couldn't have done it without him! :^)

Awesome story and Pics.... That first Goat has got some serious mass going on. Congrats to you and your boy!!!
redelkarcher>>>------------------>

Congrats.... Hunting with your son will make those memories last forever

Soooooooo Coooooool.

You are creating a monster.

Nice effort all the way around.

HK

Wow that is a great story...congrats to the both of you. I accnot wait to shre time in the field with my little boy!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom