102 mule deer follow up...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-13 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]>Less and less big bucks are
>escaping these long range shooters.
>It is a huge problem!

Guess it depends what you consider long range. I've hunted all over the state for years and have only talked to one guy that had a long range rifle on his shoulder. I don't think a lot of guys are slapping $1500 - $2000 tactical scopes on factory rifles. It costs in the neighborhood of $4500 - $5k to make a legimate long range rifle. Not that there aren't a few LR hunters out there, but I have a hard time believing these guys are sitting on every ridge.

I don't know whether Utah's managment scheme is working to improve genetics but I guarentee its offering a greater level of opportunity without putting additional pressure on the deer that have trophy potential. Just throw the genetic argument out of the window we can have the same amount of harvest and preserve an older age class.
As far as funding I was a supporter of increased funding until about two weeks ago as far as I'm concerned they can link the funding increase to improved quality or at least a effort to improve quality. Until I see some evidence that they are willing to make a step in the right direction they can choke on their funding. I predict they'll just keep pandering to the no problems here "opportunity crowd". We'll see how it works out for them.

Wyoming already has the lines drawn and the areas defined to implement a limit to the numbers of hunters in the field.The present N/R deer tags are limited quoata or regional. Since G&F already monitors LQ and REG boundries the enforcement portion is already in place. Simplest method is to apply regional rules to the resident tags rather than a general state wide tag. Then limit the number of regional tags for resident hunters as management dictates. In any case when you reduce tags you reduce revenue so someone somewhere is going to pay the freight. I have read this entire thread and very few have said "lets pay more for license fees" except Buzz. If anyone thinks the energy industry is giong to take up the slack goodluck challenging the strongest political voice in the state. I would like to hear how much people would pay for a tag if mule deer quality was restored to the level of the 60's. I believe there are alot of people still buying pref points that coiuld have drawn on the spec permit already but are too cheap to pay the freight.

I personally would support what ever price needed to manage the deer we have left. As a Wyoming resident I would be willing to pay $350 or more for proper management and free to our youth. But I see no indication the managers will make the difficult decisions to take care of the deer herds that are left...

We forget hunting is a privilege!!

Bravo! Any rate increases should be accompanied by a plan to implement the additional funds

Strang-Many posters here were in favor of license fee increases(me among them).Many here also realize there is fat to be trimmed.

I like the "pick a region" concept for res hunters.There is a definite hunter overcrowding situation that needs to be addressed.Too many hunters not only translates into less quality deer,but also lesser quality experience.

Trouble is;when you try to take something away from most resident hunters,they squeal like a little girl getting her pigtails yanked.

WG&F is charged with taking care of our deer,and they spend way too much time worrying about how the public is going to react to any decisions they make.Which tells me they are way too worried about WHAT WE THINK and not what the DEER NEED.

That last sentence is so True.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-13 AT 05:29PM (MST)[p]I totally agree my qouate from another thread. Which TOP GUN said was ridiculous "G&F's job is not to satisfy every unsucessful applicants concern but rather to be concerned with every successful applicants satisfaction"

If G&F would take the money they spend trying different programs to keep res and non res from whining about not being drawn and put that into management we would be a heel of a lot better off!

For the millions upon millions of dollars spent and the self proclaimed expertise they are sure doing a SH!TTY JOB of taking care of the mule deer resource. But hey, they sure have some nice trucks to sling their data BS around with.

I've stayed out of this round because we have rehashed this many times. Frankly, I'm a bit worn down with this issue becuase very little changes. That said, I feel like nontypical and piper are on the right track. They have lived her eand piad their dues and speak through epxerience and are courteous.

I'd also mention I stand willing to pay a lot more for quality mule deer experiences. I try to do that every year in a number of states and would sure do the same here at home.

But I do favor using any one of several means to limit pressure on mule deer and increase the quality of the experience. Those possibilites have been mentioned and I'd support many of them.

The G&F dilemma might be closer to the heart of this matter than we think. I'm on the committee for the habitat improvements in the Upper North Platte River Valley. It's an interesting process and has not unfolded the way I'd hope. We're getting close to the end and I'm hopeful good things will still happen. We need the focus on mule deer and their habitat, but it's a pretty convoluted situation and certainly not simple.

Thanks to everyone for expressing their opinions. I am not sure I'll live long enough to see good management in Wyoming's deer, and that's a sad thing to say. Mule deer are the #1 reason I live here and I've given a lot to them through the years, and have not shot one in Wyoming since 2007. I sure hope we take action to improve their plight. As someone wrote earlier (piper??) I like to see them as much as I like to kill them, and I sure don't see them like I used to.

ICMDEER,

Your efforts for mule deer are greatly appreciated!!! You have good arguments please don't ever give up!!

I have tried the politically correct approach and watched nothing happen. I believe that politically correct is going to be the demise of more than just mule deer in our country. I wish more of our patriot Americans would get a little more irreverent and stand up for some positive changes. Because in my opinion if we do not hold the WGF's feet to the fire they will continue status quo and pass blame to someone or something else. When they are the ones getting paid to protect mule deer. You and I both know they are failing at their responsibility.....

Wolfhunter,

You have touched on what I believe to be our problem with regards to mule deer.

There was a time when sportsmen could count on the G&F to be our advocates. Not exactly sure when that all changed, but it has changed. It appears now that our G&F is no longer listening to sportsmen and see our issues as being irrelevent or of little importance.

WY SFW, I hope will finally be done with wolf challenges and be able to focus more on changing our culture of mule deer management. One of the reasons I continue to visit monstermuleys (and take all of the negative comments about WY SFW) is because I know most of the people on this site are passionate about mule deer. We will not all agree on every aspect; however, I had hoped that all "mule deer nuts" could rally in defense of this our most prized animal. Instead, I see sportsmen fighting for a dwindling resource, with too much emphasis on the individual hunter and not enough given to mule deer. The only outcome I see coming from this continued behavior is a race towards the bottom. A race which we both lose.

One thing I do believe is that mule deer management is broken and in dire need of repair.

Smokestick,

I believe the WGF only uses the sportsmen's voice when it fit's their own agenda or budget...

I too come to this site because a bunch of mule deer fanatics frequent the pages. I too am surprised how willing they are to battle with each other rather than focus on working together. When we decide to work together we can get the changes needed. Until then, the WGF will attempt to pit us against each other, they have become masters of this...

Smokestick I admire your willingness to come back and fight on these pages. Even though I may not support ALL stances of WYSFW I would gladly stand next to you and fight for mule deer!!! Or anyone who is looking out for mule deer!!!

Saddest part of this whole deal if you gave the deciding powers of mule deer management to Nontypical, Icmdeer, Piper, Smokestick, Buzz and wolfhunter we could save the mule deer left and probably have a surplus of revenue. I am confident the decisions made would be for the RIGHT reasons. This is not rocket science...

What we are paying for currently is a waste of time money and resource all in the name of a too big, top heavy and bloated agency.

I think a good start would be to reduce all limited quoata mule deer tags by 20%. Then take the number of regional tags sold in the Non Resident by region take that number and divide it by .20 the resultnig number would be the allocated number of resident tags sold per region. Set those numbers as the base numbers per region for the following and subsequent years. Those tags could be sold in the resident draw process and left overs following same proceedure now in place for leftover tags. This would reduce pressure statewide. That combined with a HIP report required to apply for or purchase a tag the following year. Let this ride for a year or two and then start adjusting tags by the hip report statistics. This would result in a dramatic decrease in G&F funding so we better be willing to as BUZZ said break out the check books.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom