11 and 15 elk points what would you do?

sniper14

My dad has 15 Utah elk points and I have 11. We hunt with rifles and muzzleloaders. I have never killed a bull elk and my dads biggest is a spike. What would you put in for? My dad is getting older but can still move around or so he keeps telling me. Looking to get dad a big bull 330+.

With 15 points, your dad could pretty much draw any muzzy tag he wanted and a few of the medium rifle units. You are a little short on a guaranteed draw for some units, but could get some of the medium units with muzzy tags

The question is, do you want to be able to help your dad on his hunt or hunt together? For me, it is easier to have one tag with a few helpers than both of you putting in together as a group and having two tags to fill with quality bulls.

Great advice. I think I would like to focus on my dad and then get one for me. What area is the best to get a 330 + bull. Don't care what area in Utah just looking for an easier hunt for my dad

Good Muzz unit IMHO is San Juan unit you can hunt alot of it downhill, For some-one with limited climbing (older class hunter) it a good unit to hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

San Juan Muzzleloader is a no-brainer for 15 pts IMO.

You almost can't have a bad hunt. 330" is on the low end of what you should try for. Most days you can see at least one 350+.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-10 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-10 AT 05:17?PM (MST)

If your a non-Resident your points for San Juan Muzzy won't help as there are no bonus tags for that hunt for non-residents (guess I shouldn't say it that way as points do help, but there's no guaranteed tag no matter how many points as a non-resident). If you are a resident....your still not guaranteed a tag for muzzy with 15 points. People with 15 points last year only had a 36% chance of drawing so it may be several years for that tag. That being said there are several units that are VERY capable of 330 class bulls. You may also want to look at some of the late hunts with a rifle as well. Good Luck

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-10 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]Like has been mentioned, not likely to get San Juan muzzy with 15 pts. Take a look at Monroe Muzzy. Often classified as an easy, fun hunt, with lots of bulls that would meet your criteria.
Another thought would be for you to try Book Cliffs Bittercreek Muzzy, your dad the same unit for the rifle tag. If you draw, learn the area and then have your dad draw the rifle tag the following year. If you both draw, start scouting and turn one of them in before the season starts.

You may want to look at the Pahvant muzzy with 15 points. I may have missed it, but are you a resident of Utah or non-resident?

I hunted the Book Cliffs Bitter Creek Archery hunt this year and took a 330 class bull. In over 20 days of hunting, glassing, scouting, I only saw one bull in the 340 range and one huge bull in the 380 range, that was killed during the rifle hunt. Depending on the year, it can be up or down out there for quality bulls

San Juan is a great hunt, along with Pahvant. Should be able to get a bull in the 330-360 range of those units, or at least have a chance. Monroe is supposed to be a decent muzzy hunt and it seemed like the Wasatch unit was producing some real quality bulls this year.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom