111-113

300MIKE

First I want to thank all that I have talked to so far. The info was a a big help, I think we have a few good starting places. Will probably spend most of the time on the bottom half.

Im wondering what a realistic mark for the unit is. Gonna spend some time in late Aug/early sept to get a jump start. We drew the first rifle deer oct 5-20. Will be there from the 3rd-16th if need be since my son drew his first tag in NM. His hunt starts the 17th so were gone the night of the 16th.

Just looking for a realistic goal. Im a firm believer that there are slammers in most units but what can we expect here.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Mike

Mike, wave to me as we pass each other. My NM hunt ends 10/14 and Nevada starts 10/20. When you see the blue F-250 with white horse trailer in tow, honk.

And good luck!!!!!1

I would say set your sights for 160 buck then go from there. In the spot we hunt we see at lest one 30'' buck every year but can never get on them. So it depends on where your hunting.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

The tags have REALLY been cut back over the past few years for these units. With the way the horn growth is going you should be able to find some sweet bucks. Good luck!

160 is a good number. I have seen bigger in the area but not alot. Stay in the canyons a couple ridges off the road where NOBODY goes and you have a great chance!

Thanks for the replies guys any others chime in. Anyone know the best way to access the higher elevations of the unit?

Mike

Had the tag last year loved it but they are right set sights for 160 and if your lucky to get one of the larger bucks out of thick nasty take that one but scout and spend time out there.

I have the antelope tag in there starting 8/22. if anybody see's a nice buck and would like to shoot some info over my way that would be great.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 01:08PM (MST)[p]Hey Mike -

first of all congratulations on the tag. I was just up in 012 2 weekends ago. Wasn't really there to scout but to just camp and fool around. We did run into some nice bucks though and by all indications the horn growth is going to be very nice this year and it looks like they had some growing left to do. We saw a total of 15 bucks and from the ones we studied, I would say 4 of them would be in the low 170 class when done growing and one of them would be 180 or so.
I think the possiblity of mid 170's is very realistic and that there will be some 180's running around up there this year. Don't forget to look over the low terrain and the small canyons. The mature bucks in those units see a ton of road hunters those first two weeks and like to duck and stay in the lowlands. STay away from the roads for the mature, wiser bucks.

Thanks againn for all the replies. We are planning to hit the lower end first since I have my 70yo Dad and he cant play billy goat anymore. This is the first deer tag we have ever had in NV so were planning to make the best of it.

NVbucks I sent you a PM.

Good luck to all
Mike

Heading up next weekend for a couple days to look around. Question is everyone I talked to only mentions 111 not 112 or 113. Anybody have any info to share on these units? Just general stuff would be appretiated unless you want to be specific you can shoot me a PM.....

Good luck to all.
Mike

So, how was the hunt? I am sitting on a handful of points for NV and am contemplating a hunt in 111-113. Lets see some photos from your hunt.

Dax

Dax

Dont waste a point on this hunt. If its for elk blow all you have, not for deer. All I can say was I would have rather hunted SE Idaho!!!!!!! We spent 12 days dark till dark and I can honestly say we never turned up a "BIG" buck. If you want to see a million does and some giant elk this is the place. We hunted high, low and inbetween. I put a good 6-8 hours a day behind the 15s and turned up horses, elk, mountain lion,coyotes, does and small 2 and 3 point deer. Best we saw was a 24" spindily 4x4. Everyone we talked to who live local and have hunted there in the past said the same, worst year ever. Seems thats always the case but thats hunting.

I eneded up taking a small 3x4 before we left. Had to be in NM for the boys hunt. If you do decide to put in for this unit get a hold of me Ill pass on what I came up with. If anyone out there wants to know where some super size bulls are PM me. I really think they waited a few years too many to cut the tags, damage has been done. I wouldnt be suprised if they cut the tags in half again next year.

Mike

Sorry to here it was that bad. I am heading up there after a mountain lion. Hope it isnt that bad!

Mike, should have talked to you as we passed. I only saw one supersized bull in 15 days. But what a hunt!!!!!!!!!

I posted the story of my hunt on the kali forum.

Thanks for the info Mike. I don't have a ton of points for NV (only 4) but I am getting antsy and would like to find a hunt I can draw here in the next couple years. Sounds like 111-113 maybe isn't the place.

Dax

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom