111-114 antelope

Bravearrow17

So this is my first post on MM ive always been a long time reader just normally i figure my questions out with previous threads and my own research/scouting so I completely understand with my lack of contribution i probably dont warrant much assistance but here it goes.

Just got back from a scouting trip for my wife's rifle antelope tag for 111-114.
Only seen about 10 animals only 1 legal buck now we covered a ton of country started in the north end of 111 and 112 around lookout spring then around antelope valley then worked it south to the bottom of 111. I did not have time to look into 113 or 114 this weekend.

I'm not new to antelope but after all that area and glassing 10 seems low.

My question is if this is normal for this unit or did I just have a off day also I'm sure the rain has not helped for today's count of 0 I've never looked for antelope in the rain so I really don't know what they do in wet weather.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I had the doe antelope tag a few years ago and hunted 114 mainly. Between Snake Range (in 114) and the border between 111 and 114 is where I saw the most activity.

Just and off day I would say…. But we also had similar luck down south of there. Area we normally see a decent amount of lopes we were going multiple hours between sightings. Just stay after it and keep the eyes peeled when you are within a few miles food and water. (Which is everywhere this year lol)

Also side note I think all the small pockets of water in units this year has them spread out a lot more. Normal Nevada years when they need the cattle tanks and ndow guzzlers make it easier to concentrate your efforts.

Thanks to all the generous members for the input things deffinetly picked up during the hunt.

Here is the report

We checked out some areas shared with us by some awesome members and was seeing several bucks per day, but nothing really big yet. They were still pretty scattered after 3 days of looking we were able to put on a couple of stalks but they did not pan out. On the 4th day we found a good buck that seemed to be in the lower 70's but had a good heart shape that she wanted. So we made a stalk and got to around 300 yards she made a good shot behind the shoulder and the buck took off we could see the blood and knew the buck was wounded. They quickly dipped behind a hill and a few minutes later the does came up but I did not see the buck with them.

I located the blood trail and followed it as long as I could and spent the rest of the day combing the bowel but was unable to locate the buck. We arrived the next day and combed over the area again and much of the surrounding area and after several miles and hours of walking, zigzaging and glassing we were still unable to find the buck.

At this point we can only figure it must have made it further than we thought or mabey the hit was not as good as we thought unfortunately we do not know.

But knowing that the animal was hit we consider that tag punched and were not interested in wounding or killing any other animals.

This is the first time that my wife has had a animal get away after being hit so naturally she felt bad but the important this is that It was a good time to teach her that it's part of hunting sometimes things just don't work out the way we want but that is the reality we need to accept when we go hunting.

Thanks again to this great community I will try and help others out where I can.

Sorry to hear of the wounded and lost buck, it certainly is gut wrenching and something that one loses sleep over. You're stand up and ethical people to consider your hunt over and tag punched. That is a very respectful decision for the wildlife we all love! I wish more hunters were like that!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom