118 Elk

WesternSky

I drew a 118 elk tag(north of I80, between Wamsutter& Rawlins). I plan on scouting a couple times this summer and hunting during the archery season. I should have a good idea of where to hunt by the time the rfle season rolls around.
My question is what size of bull can I expect in this unit? I would like to think i can have a chance at a 330+. I have a few bulls that size and bigger so i know what to look for and am willing to hold out.

What say you WY experts.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 02:21PM (MST)[p]I've hunted the area for cows and have kept it on my radar for bulls. When I talked to the biologist he said to expect a 280 class bull out of there as a herd bull. He said that area just doesnt put on the mass like some of the other areas...they tend to run thin. That being said there are a few that come out of there that are nice, but mostly locals on private ground...spend your time trying to get on as much private ground as possible. Elk are scattered, very scattered...lots of walking and lots of not seeing but keep at it. Its a polar opposite of 100, same kind of territory but it gets hammered for cows so the bulls hide like whitetails out in the open. Good luck, but I'd bet you won't get a 330+ bull out of there...I hope I'm wrong.

Ouch!!! Thats not what i wanted to hear. Maybe i can get lucky and find something that turns my crank. I killed a 324 in a Co OTC unit so i would like to think i can find something in a WY LE unit.
Either way, i am going to make the most of it and enjoy the hunt.
Thanks for the input guys.
Anyone else have a better experience in this unit?

I've seen a number of elk in that country while antelope hunting in past years. Never saw anything bigger than a 5x5 and nothing that would interest me in applying for the tag...

It is limited entry because if it's was general there wouldnt be any elk left its too easy to hunt not because of trophy quality. Very small elk herd there numbers wise.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom