12,000 Acres of new Public Land

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
There's a ranch for sale in Northern Utah for $46 Million. It's prime deer and elk country on the back side of the Wasatch Mountains. It's been on the market for quite a while and KSL just did an article about it and mentioned that they wished a public organization would buy it and preserve it.

It got me thinking....

How many of you would contribute $500 if you knew this land could become public land? I wonder if some kind of fund could be setup for people to make donations and if enough money is not generated, everyone gets refunds. Seems to me that this would be a huge win for the public sportsman. There is very little public land to hunt in Northern Utah.

What do you guys think? What are the odds of public sportsman donating enough to get this property back into public hands? And how much would you be willing to pay to see the land become public?

I know it's not likely, but a guy can dream can't he?

I saw this run last night on KSL and it too got me thinking. Not sure the legality of it but starting a crowdfunding on something like kickstarter is basically what you just described. If the 'project' doesn't meet the fundraising goal then the money is not charged. I would definitely contribute with the pretense of being allowed access!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-16 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]Its a great idea but to raise $46 million on a average of $500/person is a lot of people, it would take 92,000 people to contribute.
Most people would/could not contribute $500, I'd say it would be under $100 so now you are talking 460,000+ people.
That is a huge number of people to say, yes I will put money towards a piece of land to be turned public when vast majority of those people will never hunt it let alone step foot on the property.

I hope it works cause the amount of land being sub-divided and developed is scary! No wonder big game populations suffer.

Edit: this is where you need RMEF or similar organization to step in and front a large portion of it. Plus they have all the lawyers in place and process down to do this exact thing (purchase private and turn it public forever....)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-16 AT 02:54PM (MST)[p]You'd need 46,000 donors at $1000 each to pull it off. Hire a team of folks to keep track of everything and effect the sale.

That would be a BIG job to make that happen! This will never happen on the sportsman's level since we cannot even agree on a simple deer tag distribution system!

There's no way the State will buy it since it cannot make enough money to keep them happy unless it's developed, which defeats the purpose.

The Feds don't want it. They cannot "manage" and staff the land "they" already own.

I saw the report and immediately started thinking but with my limited brain power cannot see a way to effect a sale within any reasonable time-frame and turn it into pristine, undeveloped public land.

A guy can dream however.
Zeke

>That would be a BIG job
>to make that happen! This
>will never happen on the
>sportsman's level since we cannot
>even agree on a simple
>deer tag distribution system!
public land.
>
>A guy can dream however.
>Zeke

I will respectfully disagree Zeke. It happens all the time on the Sportmans level though our contributions to RMEF. I do wonder if RMEF has ever bitten off one property this big before?

Where is sfw when you need them, ha ha to bad they can't afford it and then open it up to public hunting. Wouldn't that be nice. Great PR for us Ave joes.

Yeah, it would be awesome to see the big foundations pitch in on it, maybe some sponsored fundraisers, idk

This piece becoming public is nothing more than a pipe dream, IMHO. $3000+ per acre is just too high a price to pay.

2a0fcsk.gif

>Where is sfw when you need
>them, ha ha to bad
>they can't afford it and
>then open it up to
>public hunting. Wouldn't that be
>nice. Great PR for us
>Ave joes.

I can see it now! SFW Buys property for the public hunter with EXPO money! Then they will turn around and make it a CWMU and then turn around and sell the tags to the highest bidder, which will eliminate the AVERAGE JOE, and we will be right back to Arctic Red OUtfitters, but in Utah. That will be awesome!!!

>This piece becoming public is nothing
>more than a pipe dream,
>IMHO. $3000+ per acre is
>just too high a price
>to pay.
Really? For property in Morgan county? I bet it's worth it, not saying that's what they will get for it

I Can Only Imagine 92,000 TARDS on a Unit that Small!:D

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

92,000 owners hunting it every year. We'd each get .13 acres to hunt. About the size of my back yard. I'd put a fence on my .13, cause I know someone would trespass and shoot all my big bucks. HA HA HA

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

>Sad day when any private
>land ends up in the
>governments hands!

AMEN.....if it were $50 an acre I don't want the government owning it.

I have to agree with WapitiBob. If that land is priced over $3,000.00 per acre, it is way too high in price. That price is up there with top prime farmland that you could grow bumper crops on and I doubt that land is prime farm land.

RELH

I gotta know where people are finding incredible farm ground for less than $3000 an acre and not in duchesne ?

if I am doing the math right it is about $3,833.00 an acre which is very high for the land mentioned.

How about 12,000 guys pay $3,833.00 an acre and start a hunting club at least you would have an acre to yourself. I can just see all of the fences now.

>
>>That would be a BIG job
>>to make that happen! This
>>will never happen on the
>>sportsman's level since we cannot
>>even agree on a simple
>>deer tag distribution system!
>public land.
>>
>>A guy can dream however.
>>Zeke
>
>I will respectfully disagree Zeke.
>It happens all the time
>on the Sportmans level though
>our contributions to RMEF.
>I do wonder if RMEF
>has ever bitten off one
>property this big before?

I agree with your thoughts but you interpreted my remarks differently than intended. It's the RMEF "org" doing it and not individual sportsmen. We, as individual sportsmen, cannot agree on anything so it's a good thing we don't all have a voice in RMEF or they'd never get anything done!

Zeke

>>Where is sfw when you need
>>them, ha ha to bad
>>they can't afford it and
>>then open it up to
>>public hunting. Wouldn't that be
>>nice. Great PR for us
>>Ave joes.
>
>
>I can see it now!
>SFW Buys property for the
>public hunter with EXPO money!
> Then they will turn
>around and make it a
>CWMU and then turn around
>and sell the tags to
>the highest bidder, which will
>eliminate the AVERAGE JOE, and
>we will be right back
>to Arctic Red OUtfitters, but
>in Utah. That will
>be awesome!!!

I love all the average joe talk. It's a pretty old shtick but it must be soothing for some guys/ ha

Sure, get out YOUR 46 million and buy it and then turn it over to everyone and anyone. I suspect there isn't a single soul on here with that much philanthropy running through their veins!

It's always the OTHER guy who should buy it and let YOU, as a average dude, go on it for free.

That seems about right.

Zeke

So that is the Jacobs creek CWMU property.

It sure would be nice to have that be National Forrest land.

Wishful thinking...but sure would be nice

If I had 46m extra to just blow, I would buy this. I wouldn't post pictures here for any of you to see the animals I would shoot, though. This is pretty country. It would be a shame to see it as another ski resort. That said, I'll never step foot on it either way, so...whatever.

>So that is the Jacobs creek
>CWMU property.
>
>It sure would be nice to
>have that be National Forrest
>land.

That was my thought as well. National Forest Property would be the best option (if it were an option).

Yes, this is near or on the Jacobs Creek CWMU. It's also where Steve's Outdoor Adventures go to film several hunts. Or same general area anyway.

Do You Boys Think Our Broke USFS Really has money for it?

I'm Surprised the State Hasn't Slicked it up,made 24,000 1/2 Acre Lots out of it & sold them for 1/2 a Million a Piece!

way with Words[/font]

>I'm Surprised the State Hasn't Slicked
>it up,made 24,000 1/2 Acre
>Lots out of it &
>sold them for 1/2 a
>Million a Piece!

Give it time! It won't be the State that does it but rather a private developer but it will happen. Where else are the valley dweller's spawn going to move to? The valley is getting full

If someone is going to pony up 46 mil to buy land and make it available to the average Joe, I'd rather see them spend it elsewhere. I bet they could get 40,000 ish acres somewhere farther away from the Wasatch front.

2a0fcsk.gif

>>This piece becoming public is nothing
>>more than a pipe dream,
>>IMHO. $3000+ per acre is
>>just too high a price
>>to pay.
>Really? For property in Morgan county?
>I bet it's worth it,
>not saying that's what they
>will get for it

lmao.. You bet it's worth it but not saying that's what they will get for it??? So is it worth it or not? You can't have it both ways. So far the market has clearly said it is not worth it.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>
>>I'm Surprised the State Hasn't Slicked
>>it up,made 24,000 1/2 Acre
>>Lots out of it &
>>sold them for 1/2 a
>>Million a Piece!
>
>Give it time! It won't
>be the State that does
>it but rather a private
>developer but it will happen.
>Where else are the valley
>dweller's spawn going to move
>to? The valley is
>getting full

Where do you clowns live? Mars? Or a stilt house over the great salt lake? You realize your house wasn't part of the landscape the day the big man said let there be light....

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Some granola crunching preservation group will buy it up and lock everyone and everything out of it.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>How's the hunting on Waldo's range
>creek ranch??

You Can't Stomp the Artifacts Out Just to Hunt!

Give the State/Government just a few more Months & They'll have everything Gathered up!

way with Words[/font]

Tell old Jane Fonda's ex-husband, Ted Turner, about it. He will buy it out and allow hunting. That is if you do not mind paying about 14 thousand dollars for a trophy elk hunt and his manager will load the elk meat into your private Lear jet.

RELH

>>
>>>I'm Surprised the State Hasn't Slicked
>>>it up,made 24,000 1/2 Acre
>>>Lots out of it &
>>>sold them for 1/2 a
>>>Million a Piece!
>>
>>Give it time! It won't
>>be the State that does
>>it but rather a private
>>developer but it will happen.
>>Where else are the valley
>>dweller's spawn going to move
>>to? The valley is
>>getting full
>
>
>Where do you clowns live?
>Mars? Or a stilt
>house over the great salt
>lake? You realize your
>house wasn't part of the
>landscape the day the big
>man said let there be
>light....
>
I completely realize that we all have an impact. I am just as much a part of the problem as the next guy. I am also a realist. I am completely confident that this area will be developed at some point. And it wont be in the far away future. Just look at how quickly the Kimball Junction area got developed. Or Heber for that matter. Lots of people commute from Heber to the valley. Plenty of people commute from Morgan to the valley. It is an honest statement to say that this ranch will be developed. To think otherwise is being na?ve. I remember growing up in the valley and driving down to Goshen to pheasant hunt. Along the way we would see people hunting ag areas between Draper and Orem, Provo and Spanish Fork. I used to run my dogs in the fields around Sandy and Riverton in the summer. All those areas are now housing. I don't blame those people at all. They have to live somewhere.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom