12 b west

Ranger518

Drew this tag with my boys I'm thinking of hunting sage flats waiting to see if any big boys come across if weather comes should we hunt closer to border?

If you are realistic the early hunt will be ok. They moved the hunt up a week earlier last year, so the deer are just barely getting in there now, not much chance of a bigger one, as they are mostly still in Utah at that point. If you see any size of a 3 point or better you should probably take a crack at it. There should be plenty of deer, but they will mostly be does and real young bucks, due to the dates.

T

The hunt is 21 to 30th from what I've read all deer moved into that unit from surrounding units and what I'm thinking is maybe some big boys will move in after about a week. What I was wondering if it were really cold would it be a good idea to to watch border near power lines?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 12:06?PM (MST)

What tooele said is pretty much right on. Your only chance for a big one would be finding a resident buck (very difficult) or a big snow storm before the hunt like they had a few years back.

It is true they move in from the pauns and the kaibab, but that usually occurs after the early hunt and before and during the late hunt.

I have been on the late hunt once and the early hunt three times in the last 4 years. I promise you unless some rare snow storm totally covers Utah. The big bucks will not have migrated into the unit yet. The kaibab bucks come even later. It seems like through my scouting efforts the bigger bucks are moving into the unit around the 6-7th of november and on, but since they moved this hunt out of those dates a couple of years ago, it just doesn't have the bigger migrating bucks in there. Could it happen, sure but I was just trying to give you a realistic picture of what the hunt is and what it is not. If you want one of the big resident bucks in the unit, then you will want to head to the western side of the unit, next to 13a. You are literally hunting the strip. Now this area will have few to no deer. We glassed it for 2 full days 4 years ago and we did not see one single deer. The hunter I was with had had enough and decided he preferred seeing deer. You will see lots of deer on the buckhorns, just no big bucks. Does it matter if you are closer to the utah border, absolutely not. Get on the burns get anywhere up higher on the buckskins and you'll see deer and they are the same caliber throughout. Small bucks and the occasional willow-horned 3 or 4 point. Make a good camp, bring good company and just enjoy getting out and hunting, that is what this hunt is, it is not a trophy hunt and could be frustrating if that is what you are after. Good Luck to you.

Tooele thank you very much for your kind and honest words I drew 13a tag four years back and honestly I got alot of what I'm getting now from a few people and we had a excellent hunt and just spending time with my boys is really all I want I have to tell you we harvested three nice bucks and point being I just want to thank mm for having this site and thank everyone that replied.

I have been on the late hunt once and the early hunt three times in the last 4 years. I promise you unless some rare snow storm totally covers Utah. The big bucks will not have migrated into the unit yet. The kaibab bucks come even later. It seems like through my scouting efforts the bigger bucks are moving into the unit around the 6-7th of november and on, but since they moved this hunt out of those dates a couple of years ago, it just doesn't have the bigger migrating bucks in there. Could it happen, sure but I was just trying to give you a realistic picture of what the hunt is and what it is not. If you want one of the big resident bucks in the unit, then you will want to head to the western side of the unit, next to 13a. You are literally hunting the strip. Now this area will have few to no deer. We glassed it for 2 full days 4 years ago and we did not see one single deer. The hunter I was with had had enough and decided he preferred seeing deer. You will see lots of deer on the buckhorns, just no big bucks. Does it matter if you are closer to the utah border, absolutely not. Get on the burns get anywhere up higher on the buckskins and you'll see deer and they are the same caliber throughout. Small bucks and the occasional willow-horned 3 or 4 point. Make a good camp, bring good company and just enjoy getting out and hunting, that is what this hunt is, it is not a trophy hunt and could be frustrating if that is what you are after. Good Luck to you.

Have done the 12B hunts many times and Tooele is right on! Early hunt for the most part (and especially after they moved it) is a glorified meat hunt, in my opinion.

The late hunt can and often is good, with some big boys being seen, especially if there has been weather.

Good luck!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Toolee said it well. My son and I had that hunt in 06. Little bucks all over the place. We saw a lot of deer every day but could not find a good one. A few nice 4x4s were taken but now big boys that I was aware of.
Good luck and enjoy your time with your boys.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom