12 elk points

Riley7/08

I’m trying to figure out what area I should apply for next year,I’m leaning towards a 38-1 tag, mainly because I’m pretty familiar with the area as I’ve spent several summer vacations in it camping and fishing, I’ve heard all the bad story’s about the pressure in this area, just looking for some ideas as this is probably a one and done deal for me and I’d like the best hunt with the points I got, I’m not looking to kill a 400 inch bull just a good bull. Any help is appreciated

I’m going DIY, maybe 38-1, unless someone is willing to give me better insight, remember as a nonresident I can’t hunt wilderness areas

They bumped the 38 rifle hunt back to Oct 1 this year from the 15th due to access issues from snow in the past. Bulls are far more vulnerable and a bet quality takes a hit there. I maybe wrong on this but in general oct 1 bulls are not oct 15 bulls.

They bumped the 38 rifle hunt back to Oct 1 this year from the 15th due to access issues from snow in the past. Bulls are far more vulnerable and a bet quality takes a hit there. I maybe wrong on this but in general oct 1 bulls are not oct 15 bulls.
Will it be that way next year ?

They proposed bumping the opener back to the 1st of October but it ended up being the 10th. That seemed to be a compromise so it might stay the 10th but no way to know, they could change it again.

Oh ok. I did not follow up just saw the proposed change earlier in the year when looking at doing the type 9 tag for 38. The first thing I thought was that will be bad for quality, The 10th is better.

I rifle hunted 38 last year and weather could be a factor. They had a big snow about October 11th to 13th. It was over when I got there on the 14th and the main roads were clear but the Interstates had been closed during the peak of the storm.

I was hunting private land at a lower elevation (about 5,000 ft) and there was about a foot of snow on the opener, the 15th.

I didn’t talk to anyone that was hunting the Forest but at 10,000 feet there could have been a couple of feet or more.

They don’t get one of these early storms every year but they get one occasionally.

I would do it again if I had a tag.

Oh ok. I did not follow up just saw the proposed change earlier in the year when looking at doing the type 9 tag for 38. The first thing I thought was that will be bad for quality, The 10th is better.
How does the opener date influence the quality in the post-rut setting?

Oct 1 is still the rut
I'm aware of that, but he stated quality would suffer with an earlier opener and that Oct 1 bulls aren't Oct 15 bulls. I know a rutting bull is more vulnerable and therefore quality should be better. I'm seeking clarification on that point. Are they more vulnerable later with snow and that's why quality would be better?

I disagree with anything written in stone when it comes to weather! The bighorn have had nasty storms In September! Storms that clear the top of elk! So quality may or may not be effected!

What I was trying to say is if they had not changed it to Oct 10 from the 1st which was proposed, “ quality “ would great for this year for those with a tag but if access stayed good a lot of the larger bulls would be killed. Think of the herd bulls you could not get close to archery hunting. Now with a rifle. You can just let him tell you where he is and drop him from 4/500 yards. So NEXT year quality (age class) would probably suffer. Big difference in those ten days still a bugle or two on the tenth most likely however.

I am in the same boat . No mans land with 13 points going into Jan. Draw . Been thinking of 38 for 3 years .,Will be 67 next year ,wanna get it it done. .Keep the Ideas or offers coming...........BULL!

Anyone know much about 108?
Area 108 was my target unit for several years but with point creep it became apparent I was never going to catch it so I went to 38.

There isn’t much public land with elk on it but hunters still have high success.

Carrico Safaris and Out West Safaris (same family) have a big chunk of the private leased and they kill some big bulls every year, they usually kill more than one 350 type bulls.

It took 12 points in the Special this year and will probably be 13 next year. There are only three non-resident tags in the Special draw.

I'm aware of that, but he stated quality would suffer with an earlier opener and that Oct 1 bulls aren't Oct 15 bulls. I know a rutting bull is more vulnerable and therefore quality should be better. I'm seeking clarification on that point. Are they more vulnerable later with snow and that's why quality would be better?

He was speaking of the quality of bulls that would be left after the season, still on the hoof alive. Not that the quality of bulls that were harvested would be less. He's speaking to herd health, not the hunter harvest

I started elk bow hunting in unit 38 back in 1983. It was some great hunting with some great bulls. Scouting was always a blast seeing the big herds and some great herds of bulls. I have not hunted it since 1985 but have great memories of my first bull with the bow.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom