13B Guide Question

Snuffy

As a NR I am one of the top point holders and will hold out for this unit as long as it takes.
When I draw this tag I will go with an Outfitter.
This is where my question comes in.I am not a rich man but I am willing to hire a top guide to make the most of this once in a lifetime tag.
Do you contact them and put yourself on a retainer (do they allow this) or do you wait until you draw and hope you are the 1st to call?
Thnk You
Rick

THEY WILL FIND YOU IN MANY CASES, OR YOU COULD START DOING HOMEWORK TO GET THE BALL ROLLING. YOU CAN ALSO CALL AS SOON AS YOU FIND OUT........ MANY TIMES THEY WILL FIND OUT YOU DREW BEFORE YOU DO. ,,,,,YD. (DO LOTS OF HOMEWORK).

Snuffy, dont wait until you find out if you have drawn. Do your research, and talk to all of the guides you are interested in. I am not sure about the retainer.

With that said, I archery hunted the Strip (13A) last year with Matt Schimberg of Arizona Strip Bucks.

I killed a giant buck with my bow, my partner killed a 195" archery buck. We hunted larger bucks. My other buddy drew a rifle tag in 13A. He got a bit of the buck fever and missed a whopper buck (230" plus) and ended up shooting a 35" buck the last day.

Plenty of pictures on Matt's Blog of this years deer. He only hunts 13A and 13B and spends most of the summer on the strip. You won't find a harder working guy than Matt. He spoke highly of several other guides from the area.

http://arizonastripbucks.blogspot.com/

It will be the mule deer hunt of a lifetime. Do your research and cross your fingers for the draw.

Good Luck

Mark Warrington

Thanks YD
Yes I have done my research and know most of the big names down there, just hav'nt taken the step to contact any yet.
I hate whene I get called from people soliciting no matter what it is, I don't trust them if they contact me for some reason.
Yes if I new the name from reasearch that would be different.
Was just wondering what someone in my position had done in the past.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-12 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p] SNUFFY I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE RETAINER THING W/ANY OUTFITTER, I AM IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU WITH A ELK HUNT RIGHT NOW/ BUT I HAVE A GUIDE.

WARRBUK SPEAKS THE TRUTH ABOUT MATT SCHIMBERG FROM WHAT MOST GUYS
HAVE TO SAY ON THE STRIP DEER HUNTS.

GOOD LUCK...............YD.

I cashed my elk points in this year for AZ and had a great hunt (my 1st guided). But this is what brings my question up.As soon as I drew I contacted the outfitter that was my 1st and only choice at that time and was told that he had to see if his other clients had drawn?
Rick

That is why you should contact him now, let him know that you would like to hunt with him, beat the 6% draw odds and kill the buck of a lifetime. Do everyone in camp a favor no buck fever, no shots through the main beam, shoot straight.
Mike

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-12 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]I hunted with Arizona strip bucks this year in 13b and I definately recommend them. Matt spends a ton of time up on the strip and you will not be dissapointed. He only books 3 hunters for each hunt, I had not contacted Matt prior to the draw, but I did call him the day the results came out and I know he books up the first couple days after draw results being posted. I hunted with Bryon Goswick his partner and had a great hunt.

No doubt about it, matt schimburg. I gave it my best this year up in 13b on the archery hunt to find a place that he didnt have a cam, and i coulnt find one place that didnt have his outfitt taking pics of me as i walked up. The dudes like a fly on the wall,anywhere and everywhere all at once. No brainer on your choice.

I drew 13A in 2010 and had talked to 3 outfitters before the draw. Matt already had a hunter when I called the day I drew and I ended up hunting with Chad. I'd call Matt and talk to him prior to the draw. He will probably start sending you pics of bucks they are seeing which is always alot of fun. Good luck!

call larry and corey bundy @ at first light guide servive. the are very knoweledgable, and reasonably priced. atfirstlightguides.com

"THERES MORE TO LIFE THAN HUNTING,
BUT HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE"

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom