14 Deer Points

Stubaby

Very Active Member
My elk waiting period is up after next year. I want to get back into the elk game. I have 14 points for deer right now.

Any thoughts.

Book Cliffs Archery?
Diamond Mtn?
Vernon?

Not sure if I have enough to get Book Cliffs rifle? I’d like to find a 160-class buck—-or hopefully better.

Pretty sad when a resident with 14 points can only draw a mid level tag and hope for a 160+ buck. I cashed in my 7 deer points last year on a late GS muzzy tag, I did the math on drawing a really good unit and it wasn't going to happen while I was still above ground.

Of those, I think I'd do Books archery.

I wish you well in your quest!

Pretty sad when a resident with 14 points can only draw a mid level tag and hope for a 160+ buck. I cashed in my 7 deer points last year on a late GS muzzy tag, I did the math on drawing a really good unit and it wasn't going to happen while I was still above ground.

Of those, I think I'd do Books archery.

I wish you well in your quest!

I was looking at doing that and I did some recon work during the late muzzy hunts this year and didn’t see any bucks worth burning points for. Plus, aren’t they doing away with scoped muzzleloaders next year?

CWMU?
Vernon is a fun hunt with a bow. 160" might be tough, but they are there. You could probably draw that tag.
You could also look at a Paunsy management archery tag.
You might be a point or 2 away from drawing a Book Cliffs or Diamond Mountain rifle tag.
Just depends on if you're hell bent on dumping your points in 2024? If so, you just have to decide where you want to go that would be a guaranteed tag. Personally for me, If I was determined to get back into the elk pool in 2025, I'd probably burn my points on Vernon archery tag or look closer at a couple of CWMU's.

I was looking at doing that and I did some recon work during the late muzzy hunts this year and didn’t see any bucks worth burning points for. Plus, aren’t they doing away with scoped muzzleloaders next year?
That's the rumor! We'll see what the WB decides to do...

I'd definitely look at some of the northern late muzzy tags. I know someone that killed a 200" buck this year on the 2nd season rifle opener and it was rutting real hard.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom