Thoughts: San Juan vs. Vernon

MrShane

I have the BP’s to pull either tag, weapon of choice.
I prefer to hunt with my muzzy.
Been building points for two decades to hunt Alton but getting pretty sick of the points game in my older age.
I only have one hand so I have to be careful where I drop an animal.
DIY only.
Don’t need the biggest buck on the mountain but want it to be worth my two decades of waiting.
Any thoughts/stories/pics to help me decide?
Thanks!

Been building points for two decades to hunt Alton but getting pretty sick of the points game in my older age.
DIY only.
Don’t need the biggest buck on the mountain but want it to be worth my two decades of waiting.
Thanks!
DIY only?

If you hunt Vernon, I'll help you pack one out. Just give me a call.
Ridge,
I believe you and so would lots of people. People will also give information and advice on both units. I just chuckle with people that are asking for info but are quick to say DIY only! Nope they are asking for help and would love it ....they just don't want to pay for it . It should be DIWH or DWFI not DIY.

SJ has some great bucks, Vernon has a handful each year as well. I've been lucky enough to see a few but if I had enough points I'd lean toward SJ.

Ridge,
I believe you and so would lots of people. People will also give information and advice on both units. I just chuckle with people that are asking for info but are quick to say DIY only! Nope they are asking for help and would love it ....they just don't want to pay for it . It should be DIWH or DWFI not DIY.

SJ has some great bucks, Vernon has a handful each year as well. I've been lucky enough to see a few but if I had enough points I'd lean toward SJ.
You are 100% correct, I am not willing to pay for advice, especially on a forum like this.
Outdoorsman should help other outdoorsman out of goodness for the sport, especially on public land.
I take a lot of guys Swan hunting, fishing in my boat, Pheasant hunting, and help disabled folks kill their first big game animal.
And I never take a penny except for gas in the boat.
Paying for help for hunting purposes is what has brought us to this messed up stage of the hunting world we are in now.
I would rather shoot a 160 buck DIY than pay for a 200’er.

From what I understand, SJ is a lot easier to o find a bigger buck closer to the road.
I know Vernon really well, but have never been on SJ, hence my predicament.
I really want Alton but I am most likely 6-8 yrs away and every year gets exponentially tougher on me.

You are 100% correct, I am not willing to pay for advice, especially on a forum like this.
Outdoorsman should help other outdoorsman out of goodness for the sport, especially on public land.
I take a lot of guys Swan hunting, fishing in my boat, Pheasant hunting, and help disabled folks kill their first big game animal.
And I never take a penny except for gas in the boat.
Paying for help for hunting purposes is what has brought us to this messed up stage of the hunting world we are in now.
I would rather shoot a 160 buck DIY than pay for a 200’er.
Thats the way it should be. The term DIY does not fit into that realm in my eyes anymore. Very few of us pay but we also don't do it DIY, we get support from other great sportsmen. Too many jump on and claim DIY when they have leaned on others that have build the knowledge, put in the time and money to understand a unit or willing to help. They then make the comment I would never hire a guide, I'm DIY only .

Good luck on the draws , if you pick the Vernon I'm sure we will cross paths at some point.

The choice is obviously yours, but from what I understand of your post:

1. You don't need the biggest buck, but it sounds like eating the tag would feel like a waste to you for the time spent applying (forgive me if I'm misinterpreting what you've said)
2. You know one unit well.
3. You've never set foot on the other.

It can be easy to get caught up in the hype of one unit being better based on what people say or pictures you see. I believe one of the most valuable assets you have on a hunt is first hand knowledge of the area. I've witnessed plenty of friends that draw a great tag and then get caught up chasing information and stories that were shared with them only to end up with an experience they didn't really enjoy. I don't think anyone mislead them, but things change from year to year. Having a thorough knowledge of an area for many years isn't something I'd give up. One caveat would be if you have the ability to dedicate the time for a year or two before you'll have the tag to spend on the unit during the hunt. If you can do that, a new unit will no longer be "new" to you. Otherwise, I'd hunt what you know and enjoy it. If you want to explore new stuff, its much easier to do that with a tag that didn't take you almost 2 decades to get.

I would choose SJ as long as I had the he ability to scout multiple times this summer before the hunt. He didn’t say he had participated in any Vernon hunts. If he has and knows where to find bucks at different times, that is def the frontrunner. But if he just knows it from being familiar with the area, he can become familiar with SJ this summer. But I wouldn’t go in cold

I would choose SJ as long as I had the he ability to scout multiple times this summer before the hunt. He didn’t say he had participated in any Vernon hunts. If he has and knows where to find bucks at different times, that is def the frontrunner. But if he just knows it from being familiar with the area, he can become familiar with SJ this summer. But I wouldn’t go in cold
I am semi-retired and can plan my weeks accordingly.
If I do decide to put Alton aside and pull a SJ tag, I would stop fishing 2-3 times/week and be on the SJ every holiday and every other week between the announcement and the hunt date.

How far out are you to draw on the Pauns? That's a heck of a place for overall hunt experience, with a chance at a whopper.

How far out are you to draw on the Pauns? That's a heck of a place for overall hunt experience, with a chance at a whopper.
I know, it’s been keeping me going for 21 years but had cost me some middle tier hunts during the process.
Still at least 6-8 yrs out for a good chance.

**Edit: I just checked last years draw odds and worse than I thought.
10 yrs= good chance.
12 yrs= great chance.
14 yr= If applicant pool stays on trend and bad luck continues 2038 is my year!!

Last edited:
San Juan is an awesome place, but it’s more of an archery hunt in my opinion. I had the archery tag in 2017. I feel like usually the cream of the crop gets whacked by the bow hunters when the deer are much more visible on the plateau tops which is where all the roads are. When they strip their velvet & bail down off the tops down in the hell holes, the hunting gets much more difficult. Did I read right that you have one hand? If so, do you have a prosthetic? Is there any way you’d be willing/able to get COR permit to use a cross bow during the archery hunt? If there’s ANY way you could bow hunt San Juan I would if you’re considering that unit.

San Juan is an awesome place, but it’s more of an archery hunt in my opinion. I had the archery tag in 2017. I feel like usually the cream of the crop gets whacked by the bow hunters when the deer are much more visible on the plateau tops which is where all the roads are. When they strip their velvet & bail down off the tops down in the hell holes, the hunting gets much more difficult. Did I read right that you have one hand? If so, do you have a prosthetic? Is there any way you’d be willing/able to get COR permit to use a cross bow during the archery hunt? If there’s ANY way you could bow hunt San Juan I would if you’re considering that unit.
Yes, I have a COR and crossbow permit.
Which sounds awesome at first, but crossbows are clunky awkward things to carry and hunt with.
I just did not feel good about cashing in that many points on an archery hunt.
Now if I could complain to the DWR and get another chance if I did not fill my tag like some of the Bison hunters do maybe it would be a good deal.
You have the gears in my head turning.

Shane, you should take your crossbow to the Henry’s. You can use my dads Havalon if you would like and I know a few guys that would likely help you out that know the unit really well. I have only spent about 10 days on the Henry’s about a decade ago but it is an amazing place. You are in a good position to draw a great tag. Good luck my friend.
1711758505722.png

DIY only.
Thanks!
Mr. Shane - Im in the same boat as you with points, options, wants and wishes - I also gave up on the Pauns dream and moved to SJ. Ive drawn LE Rifle the last 2 years in a row and turned them both in due to prior obligations. IMO if you are looking for the hunt of a lifetime (which most LE hunts are anymore) take the time and invest it in the San Juan. Its an amazing place with amazing bucks. The Vernon will not even come close to the "Experience" you will have on the San Juan. Theres a lot of great people that will help you before and during the hunt if you need. It will be the hunt you have been waiting, hoping for - for 20+ years. And you may even slip into a giant buck. I don't think Vernon is worth burning 20 years for, unless you need close & convenient and need to make this hunt happen very soon. Then the Vernon is a great unit fore that -> If not take a shot at the San Juan and see what happens. Its truly and amazing place with some good ole' fashion heavy bruiser bucks.

Shane let me know what you decide. I will help however I can. Have hunted deer twice on San Juan, but been 20 plus years ago. Hunted it twice for elk.

Vernon is close by, but never hunted it, but spend some time there occasionally.

I live in your same town if you need help or want to talk.

I am semi-retired and can plan my weeks accordingly.
If I do decide to put Alton aside and pull a SJ tag, I would stop fishing 2-3 times/week and be on the SJ every holiday and every other week between the announcement and the hunt date.
I’d say SJ is the better of the two. Vernon can be fun but I think they’ve given too many tags in the last 10 years.

SJ is better hands down. Vernon has 35 landowner vouchers this year. A large chunk of those 35 tags go to guided hunters or hunters with a posse. A ton of competetion and hunters concentrated for the handful of 170 plus bucks every year.

Never once been to the San juan but I'm saying San juan 100% over Vernon just based off the pictures of bucks I see come off each unit every year. I hunted the Vernon with my son a couple years ago and spent a ton of time out there since i only live 45 minutes from the unit and he shot a 170" buck and i only saw two bucks that were bigger all summer long scouting.

Shot this guy on day 2. I spotted him & literally stepped off my 4 wheeler, trailed him for 50 yards & shot him at 40 yards.

View attachment 141264
Wow! Magnificent. This is what a "Real" hunter is all about, no exaggerated saga of day after day ordeals, and best of all a "Real" photo like we took in the old days, not holding your trophy stretched out at arms length to try and impress. Thanks for being legit.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts!
I decided to stick to my goal, at least for this year haha, and I just finished my app for Alton.
Maybe this is my year!
I will try to fit in a summer camp trip to San Juan and just go for a look-see.
Now for recommendations of where to go down there with a slide-in bed camper and a utility trailer hauling a Ranger?
Will most likely have Wifey with me so somewhere easy and just nice to be at for a quick adventure?
Thanks again everybody!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom