15 points 4 elk?

I really don't like to be negative, but 350+ bulls in Colorado are rare in any units in the state. IMHO, That being said, the top three units are probably 201, 2, and maybe 10.
If you are a non resident you probaly don't have enough points for any of them going muzz or rifle.
How ever, you might find a 350 bull in a unit that is Limited Entry that doesn't get all the attention, there are lots of units that don't take max or near max poits to draw.
You have enough points for a unit 61 or 76 tag but if you go and are set on a 350+ bull you likely may eat tag soup. If you are ok with a 300 class bull you probably have a great time and get a chance at a bull in that class. Note: I have that many points as well.

basselkNm,

You are at the magic number for points. In other words you're screwed. To many points to waste on 61, not enough for 10, 2. or 201. 350 is a pretty high bar for Colorado.

Bean

thanks for the info and i dont mind eating my tag if i dont see what i want to shoot ive done it before just want to b in a unit where a 350+ bull could at least live there.

Have you thought about rfw? the average bull on the trinchera is 350 the hill ranch has even better potential just a thought

I am a res, and have 17 points and am still undecided on what to do. Rumor is quality has gone down in the N. West units 2, 10 and 201. For years I put in for 10, Garth Carter had always put that unit down until he shot a good bull and now it's the best in the state. My brother shot a 353 gross bull in 61 4 yrs ago and used 8 points. I wish they would bring back the bank system.

The RFW's have good bulls, but a non resident cannot draw a tag for them. I have buddied that have killed legitimate 350 bulls in both 76 and 61 the last couple of years. They are extremely few and far between but if you put in the work you can get one.

Another unit that has been bringing out some big bull's is unit 40, most are on private but know of quite a few that have taken 350+ bulls on public, this is no secret so nobody get mad. Me personaly would do the muzz, season 4 pnt's but would'nt burn 17 like I have, that's why I want the bank system back.

it has already been said but I will say it again for the heck of it...you do not have enough for the 3 top units (and you wont for a long time) 61 is your next best bet and a true 350 bull is a tall order in that unit...not to say it cant be done but bulls of that caliber are VERY far and few in that unit.

I have 16 points so pretty much the same problem as you, been trying to catch the top 3 units for a while but the point creep is brutal.

As a resident if I had 17 points I would be holding out for the Hill Ranch without a doubt, hands down, no comparison, period !! Even if it takes several more years keep going you wont be sorry.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom