$$$

Salmon

Quick question. Just applied for a elk point for Co. NR. Total was $364. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.

Yup... Colorado makes a huge proffit off the intrest hunting tag money generates while it sits in the bank for a couple months.

Todd

Yes, you have to send in the full price of a "tag". When you apply for an elk preference point, it defaults to the cheapest tag available, in this case a cow elk. As stated, they keep your money until after the drawing and then refund all but the $10 habitat stamp fee and the $25 point fee.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-13 AT 06:00AM (MST)[p]Thats what I paid for a NR Deer point. I thought Elk was Alot more you might want to look at your print out again if you have it. I just read post # 2 that sounds right.

Colorado doesn't get paid interest on the money they collect for tags. They collect so they don't have to look for deadbeats to pay up after the draw.

Yeah, just going through this myself. I understand collecting the tag fee if you are actually applying for a tag. But if you are just applying for a preference point it dumb in my opinion. And say what you will about Colorado not getting interest on the money, but someone is making money on it... it leaves my account and sits in someone else's account for 2 months. Its getting used by someone.

sled_guy

If you don't need to send your payment in you would be pissed if you changed your mind on the pp and wanted to hunt and they said too late you didn't make payment. They do a great job with the mass volume of apps they get. I think most people would agree they have it handled.

>Yup... Colorado makes a huge proffit
>off the intrest hunting tag
>money generates while it sits
>in the bank for a
>couple months.
>
>Todd

Actually they don't, its illegal, but nice try Einstein!

It keeps a lot of people out of the point game and keeps many units reasonable with regards to draw odds. If everyone could get a point for just $25 imagine how many years it would take to draw the top tags, it would be crazy (think Utah when they had points for $10, who didn't get points for that cheap?).

I don't like seeing my money gone for 2 months, especially when no one makes any money on it (wish they could make something on it), but it is worth it in my opinion for better draw odds.

if you e-mail the sec for DPW, she will tell you that they do collect a % of intrest on our tag fees.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-13 AT 05:50AM (MST)[p]The interest I lose on $350 for 2 months would not even buy a postage stamp.
Not a big deal to me.

The one critical fact guys forget or ignore is that every time a merchant (in this case the CDPW) accepts a payment by credit card, they are charged a percentage fee by the issuing credit bank. Typically about 3%. They don't get a dime of that money back, even if they issued a full refund through your card (actually they mail refund checks). So for every NR full price elk application made on-line at around 550.00 a pop, CPW is spending about $16.50 for your on-line convenience. By contrast, with today's interest rates they could potentially earn about $1.50 per NR application for a two to three month holding period. For a net loss of around 15.00 per NR elk application.

Other states (like Idaho) blast on-line applicants with a 3% "convenience fee" for this very reason. Colorado does not. There's really nothing to complain about with the CO system.

>It keeps a lot of people
>out of the point game
>and keeps many units reasonable
>with regards to draw odds.
> If everyone could get
>a point for just $25
>imagine how many years it
>would take to draw the
>top tags, it would be
>crazy (think Utah when they
>had points for $10, who
>didn't get points for that
>cheap?).
>

This^^^

"~Who says deer don't eat Berger's???"

And like any other merchant, they can price that fee in... in fact they have an easier time of pricing that in because they are a near monopoly on hunting in Colorado.

Also by accepting apps online they save money because they don't have to hire someone to key in all the info to put a paper applicant in the draw. They also don't have to deposit a check. They know instantly that they have your money and if the transaction doesn't go through, they reject the app. That is exactly why Utah went to online only applications, it saves a bunch of seasonal costs.

What's even more interesting is that if I, in my business, charged a customer's CC immediately and took 2 months to either deliver the goods or issue a refund it wouldn't be too long before my CC processor would cancel my account.

But, it is how it is... I don't care if they keep my money when I apply for a tag. I do have an issue when only buying a preference point.

sled_guy

maybe someone answered already, but the reason its 350$+ instead of 500$+ is because they charge you the cow hunt price when you apply for a bonus point.

FYI, I have heard a rumor that the non-resident cow tag might go up to the same price as a bull tag next year. Don't know for sure, but I did hear it from someone fairly high up the CPW food chain.

It would not surprise me if all Colorado tags went up in price next year. Wyoming is talking of the same thing.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom