15x56 Swarovski vs 10x42EL Swarovski

D

DaleT

I have a pair of 10x42 EL's that I glass with off of a bogen tripod. I am real happy with them and feel like they are great out to about 1000 yards.

I had planned on buying the 15x56's next year to go from 1000 yards on out. However I was talking to a guy that had the same set up and he said he didn't belive the 15x56's were worth the extra expense and weight, because in his opinion the EL's are clearer and he can actually see game as well even though they have less power. My thoughts are, if I am going to spend that kind of money and pack 4 more pounds, I want to have a distinct advantage.

So I am going to run it up the flag pole to see what everyone else thinks. Do you have this set up? Do you locate many deer over 1000 yards? In what situations are the 15x56's worth the expense and weight?

Thanks ahead of time.
Dale T.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-05 AT 06:27PM (MST)[p]the el's are awsome glasses...they work great out that far and beyond....don't buy binos for really long distance glassing consider a good spotting scope....it will serve you better than those bulky 15x56 monsters. you will use your binos alot and having those big bastads around your neck will get old quick..At least a scope can be carried in your pack for use when you need it. And that gives you an excuse to buy binos and a scope......the fun never ends

I have the 15x56, 10x42 and the spotting scope. I have yet to use the spotting scope. I have always used the 10x42 until I purchased the 15x56 this fall. I used these binos a lot on a 30 day Oryx hunt. In fact I never brought out the 10x42. If I am hunting in country that is fairly thick I will use the 10x42. But for large open country (mule deer, antelope, Oryx) I will always use the 15x56. They are a little heavier but that doesn't bother me. I was able to spot oryx and antelope a couple of miles out (before the heat rays got to bad). I have both and I will keep em. Caleb

Thanks for the replies.

Caleb, do use them on a tripod?

I have an 85mm Zeiss spotting scope that I bought this year and it is definitely the one to use once you have them found. I found one buck that way in a snow patch at 3 or 4 miles. But I couldn't sit behind it and glass as well as I could with the EL's.

I am thinking the 15's would go in my pack and I would pull them out, put them on a tripod, to glass from 1/2 mile to 2 miles.

Dale, I've got the 10 x 42's, the 15 x 56's and the swaro 20 x 60 x 80 spotter and they all have thier place. If I could only have two of those items I would choose the 10 x 42's and the spotter. The 10 x 42's work great as hand held or on a tripod and it sounds like you already know how important the spotter is. Once I find a deer or elk I pull out that spotterr and start evaluating him and usually I pick up more deer or elk after I pull it out. Since I've also got the 15 x 56's I would not dream of never having it or my 10's or my spotter. When I have a friend with me who does not have optics I set up the 15's on a tripod and let my buddy glass with it. I'll be glassing with my 10's and if we see something we pull out the spotter. Sometimes I just pull out all three and switch around. If I'm hiking I only carry the 10's and the spotter but if I'm on an atv or in my truck I have all three. My hunting partner who is a big believer in spotting scopes used the 15's this year and decided that he likes using it better than the spotter. When I first got the 15's I used them as hand held for 1 year and decided I wasted my money but after using them on a tripod I found them to be deadly at finding game. I personally feel that I could adequately get by with my 10's and spotter but I have to admit that the 15's are pretty nice. Hope this helps. fatrooster.

Thanks a bunch,

That gives me some really good ideas. When I am glassing near a road, my buddy and I hunt together. It would be very effective if I was covering distant country with 15's while he did the close up work with his 10's.

I have wanted a pair of 15x56's for a while and I always intended to have them. I think I will get them and worst case scenerio, I sell them on Ebay and lose a couple hundred buck.

Please keep the ideas coming. I never thought of this from a team work stand point.

Do any of you glass in groups? Any ideas there?

A got a pair 15x56 last year and I didn't use the spotter much this yearused the 15's instead they are great for that 1 mile away stuff, Ordered a Bogen tripod for it for X-mas.Will toss that cheap one from Walmart.

I too have the 10x42el,15x56slc and the swaro spotter. They all have their nich and I couldn't imagine going with out any of them. The hunt depends on what I carry. If its big country and not to far of a hike I take em all. If it's a backpack trip to the high country I take the 10x42 and the spotter. If the country is big and I'm hunting spot and stalk and have to spot the game first those 15x56 are mounted on an Outdoorsman tripod. I've glassed up jackrabbits bedded under trees at over a mile! I think you see where I'm going with this, Match the the optics to the hunt and terrain. Have all the arsenal you can afford!

I have both the 10X and the 15X. I did not use the 15X much until this past year. I bought a Bogen monopod and the Swarovski bino adapter, and now I really like the 15X much more and use the monopod like a walking stick. If you can hold them stable they are great.

I have both the 10x42 slc and 15x56 slc and a Leupold 12-40x60 spotting scope. I use the scope the least because my eyes get weird looking through just one of them. I even tried a more expensive Swarovski spotter out in the field with the same results. I use my 10 in the pine forest but when on an Antelope, open country muley or coues hunt you can't beat the 15's on a good tripod. Bogens are rock solid but a bit heavy. I use the Slik carbon fiber 713 pro. Awesome combination. I've had the 10's and 15's side by side out in the field and FAR AWAY animals (incuding elk) spotted with the 15's were indistiguisable (sp)with my 10's. I definately see more game with the 15's. They all have their place. MORE IS BETTER!!! They are worth every penny!!!
Carl

If I could only have one of the optics it would be the 15x56 without any doubt I use them 80% of the time or more. But good thing I get to bring them all, because they all have there uses.

The 15's work near and far. I can't hold them still enough without a tripod. I use a Bogen 3001b with a 700rc2 fluid head.
They are deadly on coues, antelope and mule deer hunts. Saves me from walking up and down all of them ridges. If you need a closer look there is a doubler that can be attached to the eyepeice and turns them into 30x. It fits in a nice little pouch on my hip or in my pack. Cost of the doubler is around $200. If I were a rich man I would have a pair of 7x50's or 8x50's to pack around my neck. But faced with the option of having only one of the three, the 15's are my choice. Have em, Love em, Never give em up. I carry mine on a suspender setup around my neck. I can hold them still enough to glass around at 100 yards without the tripod.

Mike

Thanks a bunch for the input. I am definitely buying a pair for this fall. There are places where they might not be that helpful, but I believe they could really make the difference in the open country I like to hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-06 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]Dale,
You might want to take a look, and ask around, about the Minox BD 15x58 BR ED ASPH It is a great binocular that IMHO are as good as the Swarovski 15x56 but are much better for your wallet.

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]

Get your digital pictures professionally printed by Camera Land and then shipped back to you @ http://www.cameralandny.com/

i, personally do not have swarovski's i have zeiss 15x60's and i love them. i carry them around my neck and they are the only optics besides my scope that i carry. i use mine on a tripod and they are the best!
Casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom