16 point elk poached in Wa

Craig

Very Active Member
State Department of Fish and Wildlife officers are searching for the person who shot a bull elk from a roadway or private property and left it for dead near Lake Kapowsin over the weekend, a department officer said Monday.

The animal, an estimated 400-pounder with a 16-point rack, was shot and killed Sunday morning by a Fish and Wildlife officer, Sgt. Ted Jackson said.

Officers responded to an area near North Twin Lake and South Twin Lake ? located west of Lake Kapowsin ? after they received a phone call about a wounded elk about 3:30 p.m. Saturday, he said. The officers attempted to track the elk, but night fell, and the animal swam into one of the lakes.

One of the officers returned Sunday morning, located the animal and shot it, Jackson said. The elk ran back into the water, but the officer retrieved it with the help of volunteers and Puyallup tribal police, he said. It had been wounded by a single shot in one of its front legs.

Investigators think the animal was shot from either Benbow Drive East or on land held by the Puyallup Tribe or private land owners. Shooting from a roadway is illegal, the tribe doesn't allow hunting on the land and none of the land owners interviewed have said they gave permission for anyone to hunt on their land, Jackson said.

It is also illegal to kill an elk and not claim it, he said.

Witnesses told officers they saw two men driving a white pickup truck in the area Saturday about the time of the shooting, he said.

Anyone with information about the incident should call the state?s poaching hotline at 360-902-2936

400 pound elk need to be thinned out of the herd. I hope they catch the bastards and hang them. Any pictures?

joking about the 400 pounder, must have been a typo.

I'm a little confused...but if you get to know me you'll find that is normal.

Seriously, a wound to the front leg? No chance that it may have been shot somewhere else and lost? If you make a legitimate effort to recover a wounded animal and it gets away is it poaching?

Do we need C.O's out killing any wounded animal they see? Maybe it could have recovered?

A 400 pound 16 point elk? Sounds like it starved to death!

Don't get me wrong, I hate poachers. And I hate losing game but losing an elk isn't poaching. Maybe there was NO season at all then I get it.

Thanks for the post. Hope they figure it out.

>I'm a little confused...but if you
>get to know me you'll
>find that is normal.
>
>Seriously, a wound to the front
>leg? No chance that
>it may have been shot
>somewhere else and lost?
>If you make a legitimate
>effort to recover a wounded
>animal and it gets away
>is it poaching?
>
>Do we need C.O's out killing
>any wounded animal they see?
> Maybe it could have
>recovered?
>
>A 400 pound 16 point elk?
> Sounds like it starved
>to death!
>
>Don't get me wrong, I hate
>poachers. And I hate
>losing game but losing an
>elk isn't poaching. Maybe
>there was NO season at
>all then I get it.
>
>
>Thanks for the post. Hope
>they figure it out.

It is poaching when the season is closed. I think that may be the case.

Didn't the season just end on Sunday down there? Very easily could've been shot over the weekend. He probably was 800 pounds when they shot him, but after runnin' ragged for a coupla' days he was only 400. :)

I'm with everyone else....hope they figure it out. A lot of white trucks driving around.

That's the Kapowsin tree farm area, elk did just get over there I believe last weekend. Very easily could have come down out of there. Not sure why the report would say no landowner's had granted permission, deer and elk have been open continuously since September in that area, there is also State lands that are open within a 7-8 miles. 400 lbs would be one bone arse skinny excuse for an elk.
D

A lot of that area is closed to elk hunting (the tree farm). The parts that arent are probably in a no shoot area for rifles. Thats just my guess though.

The area where they found the elk is all private land including the two lakes. I am not sure about the land on the hillside above this. Might be the land that the Puyallup tribe owns. That is too bad that happened. The past few years it seems that we have had quite a few poaching incidents in this area. One 6x6 bull got poached in velvet back behind our place. They shot it and just took the antlers.

Sportfury

for an 8X8 bull to be run down enough to weigh 400 lbs, it had to have been wounded for a while. It's an elk and can run wounded for miles, who knows where it came from!

Just a thought could this be a rosevelt elk, i know they are a little smaller, and they have a rack more like a european stag. As for the shooting maybe it was a situation that the animal needed to be put out of its misery, i know in like 96-97 i ended up putting a doe out of her misery cause it had a front leg wound, and it ended up being gangreene, the fish and game thanked me for putting it out of its missery, offered to give me a new tag, but we were able to salvage some meat. So i declined and i filled my tag for the year. Anyways have a good one all, by the way its great to be back on american soil.....happy holidays too if i am not on later....

hey huntnfever, glad your back on american soil, But roosevelt elk are the largest of the elk family, their horns are similar to the stag, but their weight reaches over 1200 lbs! much larger than the rocky mountain elk or tule elk.

i thought it was just the opposite...rocky mtn elk...600 to 1080 lbs, and roosevelt 350 to 900 lbs.

Roosevelt's are the largest body wise followed by Rockies and in a distant third Tule.
MIKE

That area around Kapowsin is messed up!!! We just finished work on the new WDFW boat launch , not hours later tweekers are in there stealing the metal and alum. off the dock and parking struct. There is a lot of poaching and foul play in that area, as well as some very big elk, my brother and I were hunting bt deer about a mile south of Twin lakes and had a huge 7x7 bull cross 30yds. in front of us!!! No doubt some granola munching media grunt whose only wildlife experiance is from a tram in nw Trek got 6 pt. confused to 16 pt.!! If that bull was poached I hope they find the guy and take out his last good tooth!!!!!!

After some investigating I have discovered the 16 pt poached bull (7x9) was caped for trophy mount and game wardens who shot this bull are having it mounted as an educational tool for young hunters?Word is that this bull mount will hang in a game wardens house at our expense! Bull was estimated live weight of 1000 lbs. 400 lbs of which went to the puyallup indians. One front shoulder was not usable. I want to pass this thought along .....The bull was on public land when killed by state game wardens. The bull had a leg wound which he had survived with at least two days, it was not a mortal wound by any means. This bull should have never been killed by the game wardens. I would like to know what is legal cause for dispatching of wounded animals? Only when people are endangered or in the public right of way? There is more to it than meets the eye!!!
Please respond as there is much more info available.

thanks for the correction, glad i wasnt the only one thought that the roosevelts were smaller, gotta blame it on my lack of hunting the past lets say 8 years since i have been in the military all my good hunting sense was replaced by the how to stay alive when being shot at senses lol......thanks again

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-07 AT 07:00AM (MST)[p]I don't like wounded animals floundering around and It would be nice to know how wounded he was, or if some eager beaver saw a chance at having a nice head mount in his house.

Season closed Monday the 13th????????????

Elk was first reported friday the 10th as being wounded. Game wardens were called in and discovered it was on tribal land, puyallup tribe of Indians were called. Elk was shot and killed late sunday morning the 12th by state game wardens. The elk had a front leg wound that was not a mortal wound. One of the game wardens made a statement according to witnesses he would like to tag the bull himself. Seems like eager beaver (game warden) got his trophy mount!!!!!!!

Well, I really don't have a problem with that, at least it didn't suffer and/or go to waste. Course not knowing all the details of the story it's kind of hard to make a judgement on this.

I have see elk with bust legs live for a long time. Elk are pretty hardy animals they should have left him alone.

I sent email the Fish and Game law enforcment last monday asking about information on were the Antlers are, or an update about this bull and have not heard or got a reply back from them. I will we resend the email on Monday and see if I get a reply from them.

Please let me know what you find out. I would be interested in what the game dept has to say. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom