16a first archery elk hunt

Nmhunter32

My girlfriend has the first archery elk hunt in 16a. This is the first time hunting in this unit for us. We're used to hunting 34 36 37. Ate the bulls bugling during the first hunt?Anybody out there have any tips or suggestions? It'll be greatly appreciated.

They bugled great last year. I was taking a nap the day before the hunt started, mid day, in my truck, with the window cracked, and was woke up to rain pounding on the hood and Bulls bugling all around me.

They bugled every morning and evening and sometimes during mid day from their beds. If I wasn't hearing bugles, I knew I wasn't in the right area at that time.

Congrats to your girlfriend on the tag. It's a tag I have only been able to draw once. I would kill to have that tag again in my pocket. I ended up killing a nice bull on day 10 of hunting.

Thanks 12ring for responfing. I appreciate it. Do you have any ideas on where I should go? If you ever draw for units 32,34,36,37 for sheep,deer,elk, or oryx, I can help you out.

Yes BUGLEnmIN I scouted a few weekend down there. It's 4 hours away so it makes it a little harder. I went up around negrito about 15 miles west of reserve. Saw a few herds of cows and checked water tanks but no track on um. Again this is the first time hunting here so I'm lost.lol

These are the kinds of posts that get me ticked off.... I'd give my left nut to live 4 hours away from my elk unit. Definitely not an excuse not to scout.... It's 16A..... One of the best units in the state of New Mexico. More then likely if you get "Lost" in that unit your not half a mile from an elk anyways..... If you absolutely can't find elk.... Drive up the road south of reserve early in the morning and glass from the highway.... you will see elk... If not hang out at Ella's cafe you will see them coming off the mountain in the back of trucks.

I was there last week and they were already starting to squeal early morning. Very green and lush, elk everywhere. You are lucky, good luck!

Give NMHunter a break. If he is like me we can not scout like the rest of you guys. Between a 60 hour work week, kids, a house to take care of and everything else it is hard to drive 4 hours spend any valuable time in the woods, and drive back 4 hours for a scouting trip.

NMhunter like others have said finding elk in 16A isn't all that hard. If you are not in elk just point your nose in the wind and walk half a mile and you will be in elk. that said feel free to PM me and I can line you out on a couple of areas.

give him a break!? on ll the other forums he's pretty much begging for someone to tell him a spot.... in 2014 i drew a D tag and was working in Northern Colorado.... i too work 60-84 hours a week.... i left after work would show up in reserve at 9am, set some cams, take a nap and drive back.....almost 14 hours.... ive been on some great hunts in A.... lots of great elk in A..... any average elk hunter should have a great time.... ill be trying to get my wife a bull. been working in North Dakota this year so i haven't even stepped foot in the unit yet

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-16 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]and I'm all for helping other hunters out and theres people on these forums that can vouch for that but come out and say... this weekend in 16A i put some boot leather down, i looked into these canyons this ridgeline and checked out these tanks. This other area also caught my eye only had the chance to look at it on a map though, whats peoples take on this area? but not please PM me and tell me where to hunt.

It's real simple. If you don't want to give info to someone, don't do it.
Most of us do not know enough about the person on the other side of the key board to judge them.

Tallpine13 I did go up there and walk and set cams glassed some canyons and didn't see much. That was earlier in the season. Then when it got closer to the hunt I went up there and couldn't find any of the elk I had seen before. Never hunted this unit before. And I asked for suggestions not everybodys hot spots. And in return I offered to help out in the units I live in. And if you drove 14 hours and didn't some scouting then good for you buddy.

Like others have said...you can pretty much drive down any road in 16A, park, walk in the woods a half mile and you should be seeing elk. Maybe not giant bulls around every tree, but they are in there and definitely take some work to find. What are your expectations for the hunt? Are you looking for meat in the freezer, or a 380" head on the wall? I hunted the first hunt last year....bulls were pretty active in mornings and evenings with bugles, but not coming in to calls. That was last year, not to say it will be the same this year. That area you checked out around Negrito is a pretty decent area....I have seen some really nice bulls come out of there! I have the 2nd bow hunt this year so save me one!!

Yr after yr...help wanted posts for 16a. Guys...it's 16A! Any half-*ss "Hunter" can find elk In 16a in Sept/Oct. H*ll, the endless caravans of atv and road hunters will see a few hundred elk from the main roads that time of yr. If you couldn't scout much, go down 2 days early...that's all you need to be all over elk. It doesn't matter east/west, North or south...just look at a map, find a ridge with water around and go. They'll be there. If that isn't working throw a bugle or two and listen. If that don't work, find a burn and glass it at daybreak. If that doesn't work then you probably should have stayed home cuz you've already missed 300 elk. All that aside, it's wet in A right now so water holes will be a little less productive but they'll still be close by. Good luck...finding them is the easy part.

Also...wasn't trying to hammer ya. Came across a little more stern that intended. Glass when you can, and get away from atv trails and you'll be fine. If you don't see elk that day...move. don't waste time on dead areas. There are simply too many elk to linger in areas with little or no fresh sign. I like to hike in early In the dark and glass down. Seems to keep you in em' all day. They bugle from beds closer to the 15th. Finally, know when to be silent, when to cow call and when to bugle for a fight. All 3 are productive down there. Good luck and good hunting!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom