16A Rifle

Iowan

If you have hunted 16A in the past couple years during the rifle season, especially the 2nd season, I would like to talk with you about tactics and the type of areas you found elk when you hunted. The rut will be over and the elk will have endured one gun season, so I am looking for information on how to approach this hunt. Once I know some of this information I can start to look for areas to hunt. I will be doing a scouting trip / antelope hunt prior to the rifle hunt so I will be able to check some areas out in person. I get to make the round trip 34 hour drive twice this year and I am excited about it!

Thanks to all those that have already provide me with 'where to hunt' information - sounds like there are many good areas in this unit.

If you are willing to talk with me, please send me a phone number and I will give you a call at your convenience.

RE: Lets get a Pool Going"
I was that person last year and my nephew's youth elk hunt was better because of the help and advice provided by many of you.
Stinky - you packed the Idaho kid's elk out for him?

If we are lucky enough to draw again this year I will be ASKING again. I think people were more willing to help since it was a youth tag. If I ever draw a tag, I will start off 'Hi I am nine years old and have no parents, but I did draw a 16A rifle tag for 2010..."

This was my post a couple weeks before the draw - I really did draw 16A but I am 39 not 9.

call me hunt and guide in 16a every year for last 12 years chased some giants there last year name is franco 505 239-9449

Iowan,

I had that hunt last year and my buddy and i both pulled out a 6x6. PM me and i'll try to help you out with what i can

-Alex

Thanks to those sending PMs - I had never checked by PMs before. Sorry to all that have sent me messages in the past that I did not reply to. Received my antelope ranch assignment today - I am almost in Mexico - you can all rest knowing that for a couple days we will be protecting the boarder and trying to make sure no antelope cross into Mexico.

Hey Iowan- I have a first rifle tag and would be happy to share what I find scouting and hunting. PM me if you want to share notes.

Thanks to all that have provided help and advice. I have enough information for 10 hunts. I certainly have enough to get us started for our scouting trip and hopefully that will give us what we need for a successful trip and maybe even harvest an elk or two. With all the negative discussions surrounding the resident versus non-resident versus LO tags I thought I would add that 11 residents of New Mexico provided me with good information about where to hunt, how to hunt, where to camp, or other information useful to our hunt. Thanks again.

New Mexico is certainly friendly to non-residents when it comes to opportunities to hunt. Iowa has some of the best whitetail deer hunting found anywhere and non-residents can draw tags each year for the gun seasons and bow tags take two to three years to draw. There are no limitations on where non-residents can hunt or requiremetns to hire a guide. There is virtually no federally owned ground in the state and most public ground is owned by either the state or counties and it is open equally to residents and non-residents alike.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom