16A second rifle hunt

kmontez

I drew a 16A bull hunt during the second rifle hunt. Are the elk still bugling? Are they already heading back into the timber by the second hunt and leaving the cows? Feel free to pm me..

Kirk

dude our hunts are so late that the majority of rutting is finished before the first hunt starts. i would say to walk a bunch of miles in hopes of utting a large single elk track. stay on the track and within a few days u will have an awesome bull. we are having a phenominal year for moisture so take advantage of that soggy soil if its still there.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

So your saying try to cut a track like when you hunt lions, and then follow it til you find the bull? The tracks of the bulls are usually much larger and more round then the cows correct?

Kirk

That is correct. However cows usually travel in herds and bulls usually do this as well. However I've noticed that when you cut a single track it is usually only the larger bulls. Im sure there are some single cows around and I'm sure there are smaller bulls runnin solo. All I'm saying is that in my experience that a single track is usually made by a very mature bull.

I've had excellent luck in 15 on the late hunt getting bulls using this method. We don't see lots of bulls but the ones we do are always whoppers!

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

I have guided in that unit the last two years and have killed bulls during that time. They are still bugling but in pockets. The post rut does occur during that time . Good Luck.....

So the bugling depends where in the unit we are hunting when you say pockets. correct?

I was definantly expecting them to bugle early and late, which at least will point you in the right direction. If they are not bugling, I would assume they would be in post rut, during this post rut time, do they head to the brushier areas?

Yes! If you can find a pocket with a cow that is in her second estrus cycle you will get into some bugling action.

Ah Good to know. So apparently come cows go into heat again during the end of Oct? I am gonna have to read on that. Interesting?? Just got to run into the right group...

Kirk

I have seen the "second rut before" on MT Taylor.

Some of those younger cows, get going later.

I would not plan on it though, but you never know!

The second cycle is a result of cows not taking the first time around. Unfortunately, if there's been a lot of hunting pressure, the bulls hanging around the cows for the second go round are typically lesser quality than what was chasing the cows the first time around.

That does not mean the big boys have left the county though. They're going to be around there somewhere (tyically holed up somewhere thick and nasty), and there's always exceptions where they just can't help themselves...just don't expect anywhere near the activity you'd experience during late September/early October.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom