16A - Sept 11-18

NorthSide

First time on the site. I drew an archery elk tag in 16A from Sept 11-18. I've already ordered the maps and was just looking for any information and / or experiences in this unit. I'm going unguided and will be there two days prior to the season, but I will have no time to scout it this summer before hunting it in the fall.

Thanks NS

Thanks for the info. Every response I've had from hunters and biologists has been concentrated around Loco Mountain over to the Canyon Creek Mountains. It sounds like hard work and perserverance could pay off. I'm now coming over five days early and plan to do some serious scouting. Do you have any clients in there this year? I plan to holdout for a 350 bull. Am I being to optimistic? Do you hang around the water tanks? I have a hard time sitting, but I will if that is the ticket. Once again thinks.

NS

Are staying for the whole hunt if not I think I would hunt the last half the season the bulls will be bugling better then,Try and find out it this holds true for the area your hunting.

I have wondered myself if the later part of that hunt might be better...I guess it all depends on how the weather pans out...everyone has said the last hunt is the best as far as bugling...

I'll be the on September 8th to scout and I will be hunting from Sept 11th until the 18th. I've always had more success when the elk are gathering up their herds instead of chasing them when they already have their cows. The later has more bugling, but I think they are harder to pull away from their cows?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-07 AT 10:57PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-07 AT 10:54?PM (MST)

>
>Thanks for the info. Every
>response I've had from hunters
>and biologists has been concentrated
>around Loco Mountain over to
>the Canyon Creek Mountains.
>It sounds like hard work
>and perserverance could pay off.
> I'm now coming over
>five days early and plan
>to do some serious scouting.
> Do you have any
>clients in there this year?
> I plan to holdout
>for a 350 bull.
>Am I being to optimistic?
> Do you hang around
>the water tanks? I
>have a hard time sitting,
>but I will if that
>is the ticket. Once
>again thinks.
>
>NS

I truly hope this does not offend you for that is not my intent. Nor do I wish to sound like I am blaming nor harrassing anyone for actions that are yet to pass...I did however feel like I had to get this off my chest...

You said, "Serious Scouting"? Please just remember that other people will be in there hunting at that time. The best way to scout while other people are in the middle of a hunt is to glass early and late in the day with a good spotting scope hanging from the window of your truck. It would be very disrespectful and selfish if you were to walk in on one of us as a bull was coming in to a water hole and run him off. Especially after we offered to fill you in on everything we learn during the first hunt. This happened to us last year, in fact, a couple guys came in late in the night and set up camp in the exact spot where a small herd was coming down and feeding for 5 days straight. Obviously the elk did not care too much for it and left the country...

Last year we made some friends from Arizona while waiting our turn at the pay phone and we told them that we were seeing elk around Loco Mountain and they pretty much didn't care because they were also on some big bulls on the north end of 16A. We also saw a lot of elk just west of Snow Lake. I have talked to several very reputable people that have been seeing a lot of elk in last years burn. So you see, there are elk everywhere and all we are asking in return for good honest "up to date" info is a little space.

Is this too much to ask? You can scout somewhere else and we will basically be scouting this area for you at no charge!

Thanks,
Sean

I'm glad you got that off your chest. I had already taken into consideration that there would be a hunt going on and have the utmost repect for that. I'm hoping the the archers whom hunt last will respect my time in the woods also. My plan was to get there a little earlier than I first had alloted time for and set up camp and scout via spotting scopes the many areas that I have heard about. In regards to areas, I have pretty much heard what you just wrote. There are many areas in the unit that I have heard during my research that are excellent (Turkey Park, T Bar Ridge, Devils Park, and of course your wealth of knowledge). With that being said my goal was to get there with time to learn the roads to get to all these areas, see the country (I've never been to NM), do some serious glassing, meet you and Jason, then get a plan for opening morning. I should have been more clear. Good luck and we will see you in New Mexico in 67 days or so, but who's counting?
Also, thanks for your generosity and information sharing. I know it is true kindness. There is no benefit to you personally and because of that it makes it that much more special, ecspecially in this day and age.

NS

Awesome! Your response commands respect! Thank you

Bring a camera! I have been lucky enough to see a big part of our beautiful Rocky Mountains from Washington, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. The Gila is very unique in it's beauty and difficult to explain on a keyboard and still do it justice.

We'll have something cold to drink when you get there...

Have a safe trip!

We drew the last hunt in 16A and we are hoping for some great action, if ya'll leave us a few bulls. With talking to the forestery service they have re-seeded the burn and it is taking well with elk returning to graze. There is just no off- road vehicle traffic allowed in the area to retrieve game. If ya'll happen to let a few bulls by and we run into you maybe ya'll can give us an update on animal movement. Later Kevin

NorthSide thanks for the reply, my cousins hunt is the last one Sept.19-25 not the 1st one like I had posted, thats what happens when you try to help someone out and only get half the information I'll have them e-mail you maybe you can head them in the right direction they will not be able to scout.

I hunted there last year and going to be there again this year. there are elk every where you look in that unit. I saw over 5 bulls that would have scored over 350. The problem is that they were not bugling or acting like they wanted rut. I saw alot of scraps and cows by themselevs. The thing with that unit is you have to cover as much ground as possible and not in a truck but with your binos and feet. The elk dont hang around the main roads and it is too thick in some areas to glass. As far as sitting on a water hole there is water everywhere. I did find some wallows from some sprigs that they were using. Hope this helps. Send me a E-mail if you have ?

elknut209

It was a pleasure meeting you! Thank you for stoping by and feeding us such a great meal, it was very appreciated after a long day!! I hope you both killed monster bulls & had a safe trip home!

Tell us a story about your hunt!

"WIndage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom