16B Drop Camp

bowelk

We are considering hiring a drop camp service for the third archery hunt instead of backpacking in. I have never used a guide or a service so I am unsure if that's the route we want to go. We just really want to get away from crowds as much as possible and of course get in good Elk country. I will scout a couple times this summer but without owning horses I know I am limited to how much ground I can cover. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good, reliable and affordable drop camp services. We are well outfitted and have all the equipment just need someone to help get it in. And hopefully Elk out.

Tom Klumker with San Francisco River's Outfitters is one I would contact. I may try using their services for the 16B tag I drew.

Tom Klumker and San Francisco Outfitters are the recognized experts on 16B.
Drop camps are not cheap, any good outfitter is going to charge you for the drop camp, and for the knowledge it took him decades to acquire.

Call them, it might be worth your while.

bowelk,

I once met Beckey Campbell [email protected]
while doing research for 16B. Tried to draw three years in a row with no success. Never ended with a tag so one meeting and a few phone calls was my only contact with her. She seemed to have good grip of the unit that only some one who spent their life there could match. This unit was hard to draw then and much harder to draw now. Congradulations on a great tag!

I would treat this hunt as a "once in a lifetime" event. Getting a camp set up near a water source and close to the game would be worth the expence IMHO. I think she qouted me $125 per man and $75 per pack horse. I would provide all equip. and gear. Any pack out fee would be extra. These were 2005 prices if I remember correctly. I have since heard of prices of $1000 per man from a different outfitter (also with no gear provided) The cost of maintaining stock and retaining a qualified packer has gone sky high since then. With warm temps. and the nasty habit elk have of dying far from the trail head, It might not seem so pricey once you get a bull down.
Good Luck - I will be watching for your success thread!
LaGriz55

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom