16c Elk 1st Rifle

505Hunter

Hey guys!

First of all, congrats to all those who drew. And I'm sorry to all of those who did not... We got lucky this year with drawing our first choice elk tag. My brothers first year hunting with us and my grandad, dad, and myself all got this tag with him - needless to say we are very stoked.

Now for the nitty gritty. We hunted this unit about 4 years ago for deer - I don't remember where we camped or what road(s) we were on. I just remember seeing a lot of animals (none of which being deer of course, except for some does and fawns).

So, I would like to reach out to you guys who have hunted this unit for some information. I have reviewed the archived posts, and it seems like weather and precipitation play a role in this unit (to dry elk move, not enough water elk move, too much water elk move). No honey holes - just pointers, potential areas to scout, and general information about the unit. We are very mobile hunters so putting miles on the boots is not an issue. Does not have to be high scoring bulls either, I would ultimately just like to get my younger brother and opportunity to harvest his first animal, experience, and a memory-filled hunt to last a lifetime.

Thank you all for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
Feel free to PM as well.

I drew the first archery hunt there so I'll help u out after my hunt. It's my first year going to that unit so I need to study maps and get to scouting.

Hunted the 1st season year before last with a buddy that had a tag. I pulled the tag this year and I'm more than excited! Good Luck!

I would get there 4 days early and find the elk. They seem to move around year to year. Suppose it will depend on the moisture. I shot a 317 in bull on the sw part of the unit two yrs ago. They were bugling all night long. You will enjoy that tag. Congrats!

Mnthunter1, thanks for that. We're really honored with the tag, it will definitely be a hunt to remember. If we can get there early that would be ideal, but between classes and work time is pretty limited. We'll see how it pans out!

Hi all - first post here - be gentle :)

I am one of the lucky 3 un-outfitted NR's that drew the 16C early rifle tag this year. Have hunted here in CO since I moved here 20 years ago and was surprised to draw this one to say the least. 2 of my childhood buddies are coming along for the ride.

Drove the 10 hrs down with the family a few weeks ago to check it out as part of a family road trip - I could draw most of it from Memory on Google Earth, but that was my first time setting foot in the unit and wanted to get a handle on camp locations, road conditions, etc, etc. They had just done a controlled burn over by Wolf Hollow and the monsoon storms were just starting. Roads were fine - as to be expected in early august - but I imagine they rut up quick as the storms continue. Saw several small groups of cows and a handful of deer. Sounds like the moisture has continued and should be good growth this year.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to exchange info - otherwise I'll see some of you folks down there in October!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom