16C

leonard

Anyone every elk hunted in unit 16C, I am considering buying a landowner permit? I had the chance to purchase the tag last fall, but declined due to family/work. Thanks in advance for the information. Is a archery, muzzleloader, or rifle the best season?

Leonard

Have not hunted it personally, but have hunted all of the units surrounding it, and know of a monster bull taken from C.

The best seasonal advantage would be whatever you can use closest to the most bugling/rutting activity in late September/early October. Late September bow hunts will expose a lot of elk to you, but an early October rifle hunt may give you the best opportunity to get a shot off at a big bull...depending on your bow hunting skills, of course.

I don't believe there is a seperate muzzleloader hunt in that unit.

Beaverhead hunts their clients there so it can get busy. With paying hunters and hunting public land they tend to go after a bull if you're there or not. That was my encounters with them anyway.
It was a fun hunt where I was. Only one way in, 4 camps and we all knew where the others were hunting. We stayed away from each other and all had a good time, minus the Beaverhead guy.

Thanks gentleman for the information. I can hopefully purchase a landowner tag later this summer. I'm probably a better rifle hunter than archery, so that is the direction I'm leaning.

Thanks again

you won't have too much of a problem but I would get going on it. Might have to go with a broker. I think the going rate so far this year is $3500.

I must have mistaken my units. Last year I was quoted a tag for 16C for $750 from a rancher in the area. But I need to confirm. The $3500 sounds more realistic, and I might have mis-understood the unit location. Thanks, Leonard

Make that a dozen for me also. In fact get me a couple for $1500 a piece and you can pay for yours!

I talked with my friend in NM and he said it was 6C, so I was confused. And it was for $750, but that was last year. I would still need to purchase a license with the voucher.

We were having a little fun with ya... 16C at that price would have been a DEAL! Somebody may correct me but 6C is not an upper tier unit as far as I know so I'm not sure that's a deal or not. Economics this year say tags SHOULD be lower than normal. Good luck!

6C sell cheap tags

Usually I know for cow sell like $200.00 a piece and for bull it goes for $600. that was when it is closer to hunt date!

but good luck!

Vinihunt

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom