16D Outfitter Recommendation

WVHUNTER

Very Active Member
I drew a 16D Non resident second season rifle bull tag. I didn't use the outfitter draw so I am free to use any outfitter.

Would appreciate any recommendations you have.

Mangas Outfitters

Trophy Ridge

I'd look at both of those - there's more out there but dont' leave those two off your list.

Use David Mathews Outfitters, no doubt. I hunted second season 16D rifle with him and did well as did others in camp. If it's a decent unit I will go DIY if it's once in a lifetime I go with an outfitter. 16D second rifle is once in a lifetime.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have contacted three of the ones you have recommended and they all sounded good. They all had many years guiding in the unit and have hunts in the earlier seasons this year and will be in the unit scouting and hunting.

As far as hunting on my own a scouting trip would be 3,600 miles round trip. I will be coming by myself and at 66 years old I think I could pack an elk out but it might take me two three days.

I also understand that at 66 I can probably count the number of Western hunts I have left on one hand so I want to make the most of each one.

Mdupon and nmhntr I sent you PMs.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-18 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]I have used some of these guys in the past for hunts and are all good guys.

My list would be:

David (Davey) Matthews
Eric Martinez Outlaw Outfitter
Anthony Hampton

I killed a good bull out of the Gila second season a few years back, its a lot harder than the first season. Outfitter is the way to go since its a pretty scarce tag to have.

Thank you all for posts and PMs recommending outfitters. It was a difficult decision because there seemed to be a lot of good ones.

I sent my deposit in to David Mathews yesterday so I am finished with my search and waiting for October.

Congrats on the tag!! I drew the same one, had originally planned on going diy but starting to change my thinking and talking to some outfitters. I will send a pm to a couple of you to pick your brain if that's alright!!

>I drew a 16D Non resident
>second season rifle bull tag.
>I didn't use the outfitter
>draw so I am free
>to use any outfitter.
>
>Would appreciate any recommendations you have.
>

Derek Harris- South Peak guide service

Agree Derek is a machine on ALL animals in this state! Not just elk! And a good friend of mine!

I know there's been a lot of outfitter thrown in but I can't say enough about Ryan and A3 New Mexico. They will work there ass's off to not only insure the best trophy you can get but also to have the experience of a lifetime. You never know when you'll get a tag like this again. I've been on a few hunts with them and Ive always been happy. I also got lucky this year and I'll be in 17 chasing elk with them. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.

I have hunted with Ryan 4 times. once in Az and 3 times in New Mexico. I drew a 16A first rifle tag this year. I will be hunting with him again. Can't say enough about each experience I have had with him. Excellent guides and good camp.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-18 AT 05:53PM (MST)[p]Jd,flyCrew did you guys say A3 New Mexico?? I didn't see them on New Mexico game and fish active Outfitters list.

>I have hunted with Ryan 4
>times. once in Az and
>3 times in New Mexico.
>I drew a 16A first
>rifle tag this year. I
>will be hunting with him
>again. Can't say enough about
>each experience I have had
>with him. Excellent guides and
>good camp.

JD & Flycrew, Ryan is one of the first ones I came across and is very high on my list. Have you guys always hunted with him personally or one of his guides?? Just curious if one was better than the other. They have a few available for my hunt. Feel free to reply via pm if you'd rather. Glad to hear more good things about Ryan. Really liked what I heard on the phone. Thanks!

I know for a fact they are a licensed New Mexico outfitter. Look for Ryan Nogosek I'm not 100% on the A3 thing I know he partnered with the guys from Arizona I think he was Canyon Country or something but I know Ryan is legit.
As for your question I've been with Ryan or a couple of his guys. Last year in 2b he was in camp but I went out with one of the guys.

>Buzzard fire wreaking havoc in 16d
>right now.

I've been following that pretty closely. It is certainly covering some country. While talking to these outfitters I have brought it up to get their opinion on how it will affect the hunt. Majority feel it will be just fine since it is this early and prior to the monsoon season. There's only been one even slightly concerned but sounded like it has covered his honey hole so that is understandable. As long as moisture shows up I am thinkin it will be ok by second rifle season. What's your guys thoughts? Even more of a reason to hire a guide since they will be able to scout a lot more than I can?? Or more on the side of dont waste your money???

Right now it is so dry in NM they have started to close some national Forrest. Who knows how long this drought will last ??? there is no new grass growing ....we are in the high 80?s to 90 every day with big sunshine we can only hope the rains come early, if at all ! I have only seen a half inch of rain since last fall. After a wildfire you need rain and if it doesn't rain after the buzzard fire I don't see how any hunting will be good. If the monsoons come after the fire with time for grass to grow it will be ok but who knows what's going to happen. Next year it will be ok but this year is still up in the air. Need rain bad !!

LAST EDITED ON May-31-18 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]Burns are a good thing for elk hunting in the long run. They're attacted to the new growth in burns, and they'll head right back into a burn even while stumps are still smoldering. But it's the unpredictable short run that can screw up your hunt. For safety reasons (falling trees, rolling rocks, flash floods) the Forest Service may decide to close the burned area, so even if you glass up a bull in there you're not allowed to go after it. That happened to me with the Los Conchas fire in 2011. It seemed to me like every elk in the entire unit decided to hole up in that closed area, and there was no talking them out of there.

If they get this fire under control and we get some water that burn will be good this year. I've seen it in the past .

Decent monsoon in that country last year. This year projected better than normal. If we have moisture on time I think it will be ok. I doubt it will be off the charts awesome but I think it shouldn't be terrible. The fire has hit some really good country but not a ton of that country was even accessible by truck or Atv. It defiantly will make some new hunny holes for glassing etc. I personally wouldn't say it's a bust of a hunt yet. I've heard rumors some monsoonal flow may kick in as early as mid next week. I don't think it will be head to stay until later but some is better than none right now.

We have been in close contact with the guys on the front lines and I have guys that work with me fighting this fire! It moved fast through most of the area but it did completely nuke some spots!
Most of the unit needed to burn and I believe that the unit will benefit greatly from this fire. Some of the old burns were out of control with acacia, weeds and downed trees/ slash piles and were in need of a fire to promote new growth for these critters.

We do need some moisture to get these elk back in 16d before archery season but I believe the later October seasons will be amazing this year and for years to come. 16d could be what it once was and be a great elk unit again!!!

Early monsoons will be beneficial and will most likely pull elk in from 16a and 15! If it's wet it could be amazing this year and that's what we are hoping for! Good luck to all the D tag holders.

Get ahold of crazeymaez on here he works for JWFC. Miguel would never chime in here but if I had a great tag like that he would be the man I would use for sure. If you want PM me and I'll give you his number he's a great guy

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

If you are looking for a great experience give me a call or email if you haven't already booked. I am a small local outfitter that knows the country pretty well... I have some great local intel on the fire thats going on in your unit. I would be happy to talk to you and get you on your next big bull! www.desertmeadowoutfitters.com

Thank you

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-18 AT 07:10PM (MST)[p]>Use David Mathews Outfitters, no doubt.
>I hunted second season 16D
>rifle with him and did
>well as did others in
>camp. If it's a decent
>unit I will go DIY
>if it's once in a
>lifetime I go with an
>outfitter. 16D second rifle is
>once in a lifetime.

>Use David Mathews Outfitters, no doubt.
>I hunted second season 16D
>rifle with him and did
>well as did others in
>camp. If it's a decent
>unit I will go DIY
>if it's once in a
>lifetime I go with an
>outfitter. 16D second rifle is
>once in a lifetime.

mdupon, sent you a pm

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom