16D vs. Valles Caldera Archery

coryb

Which is a better 2nd archery hunt. If anybody has experience with both I'm trying to decide between the two for a top notch bow hunt to apply for. I've already used up my VV OIL and am trying to find a bow hunt that can compare.

Cory

Cory,

16D is the undisputable big bull unit of NM. If you want a nice bull go to VV. If you want a chance at a truly big bull go to 16D.

Cory VV is Elk Heaven as you know from hunting there. VC is jurasic park... some older class bulls in there and a great hunt. But the true monsters come outa the Gila ! I still think this because of genetics... There are still Merriams Elk genes in the herd.
But for a Bull to get big he still has to get OLD. You wont find the numbers of Elk the VV has anywhere else in the state thats why its OIL.
Jack

The VV was truly amazing with tons of elk. I would like a good bull but am more interested in being in elk and getting plenty of action than getting in the books. How do they compare in population density and rut intensity?

What's up Cory ? I've been in both units during the rut, both great units but I'd be making my choice 16 d I'd I was you. Plenty of elk and like Stoney said there are giants .

If you are more concerned with being in elk every day and population density, I would consider VC over the Gila. I have hunted the Gila 5 years in a row, and although we have brought home some impressive bulls, there were plenty of days where we didn't even see any!! I think the Gila can be a bit more hit and miss, where as the VC would probably give you the better chances for what you are looking for.

Depends greatly on which unit within the Gila you hunted...some have much better elk densities than others.

>If you are more concerned with
>being in elk every day
>and population density, I would
>consider VC over the Gila.
> I have hunted the
>Gila 5 years in a
>row, and although we have
>brought home some impressive bulls,
>there were plenty of days
>where we didn't even see
>any!! I think the
>Gila can be a bit
>more hit and miss, where
>as the VC would probably
>give you the better chances
>for what you are looking
>for.

>Cory VV is Elk Heaven as
>you know from hunting there.
>VC is jurasic park... some
>older class bulls in there
>and a great hunt. But
>the true monsters come outa
>the Gila ! I still
>think this because of genetics...
>There are still Merriams Elk
>genes in the herd.
>But for a Bull to get
>big he still has to
>get OLD. You wont find
>the numbers of Elk the
>VV has anywhere else in
>the state thats why its
>OIL.
>Jack

Well CC, I haven't heard the Merriams gene pool explanation very often .....but Yes I do believe that is a factor in Gila Monsters. Bulls grow to maturity in NM/AZ due to mild winters and the Merriams genes

>Neither of these unit's are worth
>a crap for elk. Stay
>away, unit 9 is the
>best in the state. Lol
>

Hahaha haha

>>Cory VV is Elk Heaven as
>>you know from hunting there.
>>VC is jurasic park... some
>>older class bulls in there
>>and a great hunt. But
>>the true monsters come outa
>>the Gila ! I still
>>think this because of genetics...
>>There are still Merriams Elk
>>genes in the herd.
>>But for a Bull to get
>>big he still has to
>>get OLD. You wont find
>>the numbers of Elk the
>>VV has anywhere else in
>>the state thats why its
>>OIL.
>>Jack
>
>Well CC, I haven't heard the
>Merriams gene pool explanation very
>often .....but Yes I do
>believe that is a factor
>in Gila Monsters. Bulls
>grow to maturity in NM/AZ
>due to mild winters and
>the Merriams genes

I've always wondered about the Merriams genes possibly being still there. The bull I shot this year had almost completely red colored legs. I can't remember ever seeing red legs on a elk before, usually chocolate or brown. That was one of the characteristics of the Merriams.

16D all the way, last year we past in several 340''s just attempt a shot at a few 380's.
It's an easy choice for me. 16D

>>Neither of these unit's are worth
>>a crap for elk. Stay
>>away, unit 9 is the
>>best in the state. Lol
>>
>
>
>Hahaha haha

Geno! dont be sending people to my honey hole unit 9 let them all think it sucks LOL

Just a reminder, the biggest bulls last year came out of units 12,13,and 6-C and there is probably a good reason why!I would avoid all they hype and hunt where you know there are giants.I would go unit 4 seargents,unit 55 and my last ditch effort would be unit 23. But I don't hunt elk so what do I know? Back to question you posted I would take 16-D around Collins Park or between Negrito and Snow Canyon over most places in the state except for all of unit 43!

im a gila fan my self I've taken out some slammers there. also hunted VV awhen i was 8 my hunt lasted 5 minutes.... D is not what VV but the quality is way better. last year when we tagged out in E i took my buddy to my spot in D and right away had a 350 7x7 charging in. Some of my guiding buddies are all about the caldera just because how fun of a hunt it is. its the closest to private land hunting you will get without the price.

How's it going guys I'm new to the forum. I was a lucky one to draw the 16d elk tag first hunt archery. I've done some digital scouting, talked to people, and have found some potential areason of interest. Was wondering if anyone was willing to share some areas my thoughts are the O bar O area around the salvation peak and norther portion. I also was interested and got directed into the Eagles peak burn area to the west. Thankso in advance to your advice guys.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-16 AT 00:40AM (MST)[p]>How's it going guys I'm new
>to the forum. I was
>a lucky one to draw
>the 16d elk tag first
>hunt archery. I've done some
>digital scouting, talked to people,
>and have found some potential
>areason of interest. Was wondering
>if anyone was willing to
>share some areas my thoughts
>are the O bar O
>area around the salvation peak
>and norther portion. I also
>was interested and got directed
>into the Eagles peak burn
>area to the west. Thankso
>in advance to your advice
>guys.

So your asking for someone's hard earned spot, and right after that you post (on a open forum) the area someone else told you to go? Unbelievable.

Go put your boots on those rocks and do some scouting. "Digital" scouting will only get you so far.

Hard earned spot no I'm not asking for a "honey hole" i am askin for advice on the area i have found to me seem good to begin with in the unit. I realize that digital scouting is not fool proof but it is a start to were I could start. Maybe my Grammer in this post was interpreted incorrectly that I just wanted a honey hole. That is far from what I am asking. And first off my o bar o spot is a theory of mine due to its remoteness. There are not really any roads around there and water holes scattered through there as well as plenty of bedding and feeding areas around to accommodate elk. I have been on a forum before I have heard the whole newbies don't get on to just get info and dont justhe ask for honey holes. I understand that but what about people that are out of staters that are do it yourself guys? How do they get info? What's so wrong with asking what you think about there research they have done because that's what I have done. It may not have been with boots but it's with the knowledge and info I have been given both by rsearch ive done online as well aso through maps. And the area that I was told eagle peak is a very broad area that I already read on an open forum.....I'm sorry if I offended you with my question and like I said maybe my post came across as I didn't do any homework but I have I also do not have the luxury of driving across the state to scout the area all I have is the digital aspect, my knowledge, and people that are willing to share what they believe is an area of potential success. Once again I'm sorry if I offended you if I had the gas time and money I'd be out there everyday scouting such as what I did last year for my leftover tag deer hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-16 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]Mchavez there really are not any secret spots in 16D. You will likley have company no matter where you go in the unit. I have been lucky enough to hunt 16D several times over the years. The elk kinda pocket up, but in general if you are not in elk just put your nose into the wind and walk a mile and you will be in elk. 16D is one of the top two units IMO. In that you are not able to scout you can't hunt a specific bull, but you will without a doubt see 350" bulls and maybe bigger if you are lucky. PM me and I can give you some pointers on specific areas. Maybe you can help me out with opportunities in your home state.

Thank you I appreciate ur input man. I'd be more than happy to share what I know with you anytime. I've heard monsters in 16d are there. I have came down to 3 potential areas I have interest in maybe u can give me pointers of the areas. I could send you some screen shots of map notes I have an see what u think. U don't gotta give me any honey holes as well lol. I'll pm you tomorrow if ur free. Thank you for the help I greatly appreciate it. And like I said I'd be more then happy to return the favor.

See, I busted your balls about not having set your boots on the ground in that unit to scout and you came back with a respectable response and now you have someone willing to help you. You're welcome. Lol. Good luck man. You drew a hunt of a life time and it will probably be one of the greatest hunting experiences of your life.

Mchavez, sounds like your more than willing to work hard to maximize this opportunity. I am of the opinion that helping a NR in these situations is a very good thing. I've stated before that as a resident I recognize that there will be "X" number of NR in each unit no matter what ,and it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for you. I wonder if 12 ring applies out of state and has faced the challenges of physically not being able to put boots on the ground. PM me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll share a bit of what I know. As previously stated there are lots of honey holes in D.

Yes sir I have been studying extremely hard for this hunt it's my first archery elk hunt I've hunted rifle but not archery. Man I've read and heard the entire series of roe hunting resource, Corey Jacobson elk university, and the elk nut playbook. I've read countless magazines listened to tons of podcasts nearly everyday at work. I know there is nothing like field experience and nothing is ever set in stone but man I feel pretty good about it. I'm fired up to hunt very hard. Thank you guys for the help your willing to offer.

>See, I busted your balls about
>not having set your boots
>on the ground in that
>unit to scout and you
>came back with a respectable
>response and now you have
>someone willing to help you.
>You're welcome. Lol. Good luck
>man. You drew a hunt
>of a life time and
>it will probably be one
>of the greatest hunting experiences
>of your life.

My girlfriends brother turned me on to this unit and during the draw I checked the draw odds and wow I didn't expect to draw it lol. It was between selecting 34, 15, and 16d aso my first choice. Blew my mind I drew and I said I better take this very serious as its a hunt of a lifetime. Since I found out I've been studying everything except for unfortunately getting my boots on the ground. I also had a baby this year so finding the time has been interesting to. I've been filming everthing so far so I hope to make a respectable film. Thanks man I hope to get a nice bull down I know I'll hunt extremely hard for sure.

o bar o isn't as remote as you might think seems like it gets attacked pretty hard from all sides and I've came across a few E hunters that camp along the boarder of E and venture off into D because out of the 5 people one has a D tag so they all tag along and help the guy in D first which is odd he always tends to be the last one to tag out.... good area but like people have been saying especially since they went from 3 hunts to 2 hunts... which i don't like.... you will have company everywhere you go almost. my first experience in D i was solo the first 4 days and would drive around at night and listen for bugles and figure out where i was going to hunt that way. worked out pretty good for me. I've seen a lot of big bulls not far off the road that guys that want to go in and get deep drive right past because they think they need to get away from roads..... the thing is D is covered in roads for the most part as you have probably already seen but ill be up there the 2nd- 11th so good luck

Thank you tallpine 13! This exactly the info I was wondering about. I've heard that a ton of people hang out in collins. O bar O is not to far away and has the 2 roads going up towards the peak.I've slightly drifted towards going to eagle peak more as to the east it's more remote and nasty compared to the O bar O. Night bulging was definitely something I was thinking of doing especially with the full moon all week and it being pre rut. I also read that road up to eagle is fairly ruff.

>Mchavez, sounds like your more than
>willing to work hard to
>maximize this opportunity. I am
>of the opinion that helping
>a NR in these situations
>is a very good thing.
>I've stated before that as
>a resident I recognize that
>there will be "X" number
>of NR in each unit
>no matter what ,and it's
>probably a once in a
>lifetime opportunity for you. I
>wonder if 12 ring applies
>out of state and has
>faced the challenges of physically
>not being able to put
>boots on the ground. PM
>me and I'll give you
>my phone number and I'll
>share a bit of what
>I know. As previously stated
>there are lots of honey
>holes in D.

Yeah I put in for out of state tags and I have hunted out of state. I know how hard it is to get there but somehow I make it work. Anyway this talk is muddying up this thread and Chavez seems to be getting good info so that's all I will comment on this topic. FYI, I didn't see in the post that I commented on that he was a out of stater. That definitely does make a difference to me when helping people out. Good luck. Kill a monster. The potential is absolutely there. I'm jealous of your tag.

Actually 12ring, that was my bad. I thought Mchavez was a NR but discovered he is a NM guy. Sorry

>Actually 12ring, that was my bad.
>I thought Mchavez was a
>NR but discovered he is
>a NM guy. Sorry

Yes sir I am. I had a new baby this year so let's just say I'm lucky and my woman is a good person as she is just even letting me go out to hunt lol. Scouting unfortunately is getting greedy with my free time with my woman and baby lol.

Congrats Dad, don't think you'll go wrong with the spots your already looking at. Have a Blast and make memories. Study up on accurately scoring those Gila Monsters.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom