16E Making a run?

M

mmm1313

Hey guys ,im new to monster muleys and want to ask your opinion. Is 16E making a run to be one of the gilas prime units?

It's a good unit and good animals have been taken and will continue to be taken but there are to many LOT that will keep it from ever being great.IMO unit rankings 16d/a numerous 1 16 b if you have the time and energy number 2, 15 due to its area size allows for more opportunities, 16c could be top 3 but kind of smaller than the others. 16e good at time tough to consistently locate good bulls.

I've hunted that unit for the past 10 years and I can safely say that the elk numbers have decreased every year. Look at the draw stats there is a reason why it has the fewest applicants of all 16s. It's a decent unit I would not call it a prime unit. If you want to endure a tough physical hunt in unit with tough access it's a good unit for you. However, you'd better be in good shape with a good pair of boots and a strong back because if you do get a bull down the pack out will not be easy.

E is a tough but underrated unit. Definitely a pain to deal with accessing prime spots, but if you are willing to put some miles in on foot you can locate really good bulls in surprisingly sparse country. There are some great bulls in the unit, especially during archery. There is a reason hard hunting guys return to the unit and kill bulls year after year while the lazier hunters are one and done. Put in the time in this unit and take advantage of better draw odds and some really quality hunting. Some great bulls have come out of E in the past few years...

http://themeateater.com/
http://www.firstlite.com/
www.streamflies.com

On the second hunt I was one of the three out of 50 hunters who harvested. It is a tough hunt, very physically demanding and you're stalking in country with almost nothing for cover, and all the areas that provide cover are consistantly covered in hunters.

LOL! I haven't read anything on here yet that's not true. Rifle and Muzzie look like they'd be slam dunks for any average nimrod, but archery is tough.

Still, it's better than not hunting at all.

Knock yourselves out.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-15 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]Just leave camp an hour after sun up and drive around the flats between the Luera's and the Pelona's. When you see a decent bull, get about 2000 yards away and start slinging lead until you hit something. It's pretty wide open, so make sure you are on public before you pull the trigger, people can see a long way off there. Saw a couple groups do this and were successful. Bring several boxes of bullets.

In all seriousness, it makes my 3rd choice list because I have hunted it and know it, but it is not an easy unit to learn. Some big bulls get knocked down, but it will never rival the Gila units farther to the west that are all National Forest. (16D, C, A)

I still have nightmares about that quad trail....

You can get away from other hunters, but you have to go where they are unwilling.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom