17 hmr

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
I have always wanted a 17 hmr semi auto. Back when the came out I was looking ,then they pulled them because of pressure problems. I heard of a few guys picking up Ruger 22 mags and having them re-barreled. Then they pulled all of the 22 mag semi auto rifles. Haven't seen any of those in a few years. I am at the point of just going to a custom gun maker and having one built.
Have any of you heard of anyone that is currently building anything like this ? Are they using a donor gun or from scratch ?
Thanks for any help.

I think magnum research makes a 22 mag semi-auto and I think it is basicall a ruger 10/22. Might want to look there first.

Excel arms, Volquartsen, Magnum Research. If you happen to come across a Remmy 597, run like hell. They are junk.

The Remington 597 bin 22 mags are not junk, had two and there tack drivers and never had problems with them other then clips with the last shot.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

The fact there is a class action lawsuit against Remingtons recall on the 597 17hmr speaks for itself. The company is too cheap to even replace a recalled product. A $200 coupon towards your next remmy purchase is a spit in the face to consumers.

Also let me rephrase my earlier comment. Rem. 597 mags are junk and very prone to jamming. A single-shot semi-auto is just so much fun. I've owned one. Had buddies that owned several. Sold quite a few. Every one I've been involved with had problems with mags jamming. Other than the mag issue they're a great gun.

It looks like Volquartsen is the only one that shows a 17 hmr on their web site. Any dealers for them in Utah ?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-13 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]I don't know off the top of my head. I'm sure ##### warren at Dixie Gun & Fish or Jason Ray at Cedar Post can get you one. Not sure who you deal with down there.

Well , I think I was lucky and found a Magnum Rasesrch 22WMR . I was hoping I can buy a 17 HMR barrel and convert it over. I looked on Magnum Research's web site and they no longer offer anything in 17 hmr. I called but they closed at 4:30 eastern time.
It is built on a 10 22 platform. So I would think any barrel for a 10 22 should work. Anyone else done this before? A few years back I heard of bullberry doing barrel's just for this .
This gun came with a carbon fiber barrel already on it.

John I doubt they'll supply you with a new 17hmr barrel. Liability issue with ammo in the past. I think you are going to have to find an existing one. Let me know what they tell you though.

If it were me, I'd keep it in 22mag. I much prefer that to the hmr.

Hi guys, could you guys give me a heads up on why the 17 hmr is such a good round? I've no experience at all with one. I kinda like the 22mag but shells for it are pretty darn high and i saw today in a Cheaper than Dirt Rag they sent me that the 17hmr stuff is really high.

Mom taught me early on that i don't have to jump off a roof to know what it will feels like when i hit the ground. So, i ask? :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have one, its on a Savage. I bought it when the 17 was the new and cool thing. I love it, it is very accurate, WAS cheaper to shoot. It does have limitations, most notably it is very easy to have it blown off course. I don't know if its superior to anything, its pretty much a toy. Recently though I have put a bipod on it and we set up my 7yr old for coyotes. I shoot a 22-250 for dogs, but the zero recoil, combined with the savages thumhole(short) stock and accutrigger make it a great dog gun for him. In short its just fun to shoot.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Thanks Hoss!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-13 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]>Thanks Hoss!!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

They are just fun to play with. Just another barbie gun for boys .
6401image.jpg
Here is another.
5227image.jpg
. A Lot of barrels ,stocks and other parts. Kinda of a expensive toy for just being a rimfire cartridge. But a little more down range then the good old 22 long rifle.

BigJohn, Thanks! Nice looks rods there!

I grew up with more ground squirrels to shoot than seemed possible to even thin out. Where i live now though, there were a few places nearby that offered good shoots for my 22 target pistols but the guys with special varmint rigs and tables found them too and stayed after them. They shot every single squirrel, every one... I haven't seen a ground squirrel around here in years!

Joey

I played with a couple of them.....For me, it did'nt fill any special gap between a plain ole 22lr and the 222/223 size cartriges. Pretty good out to a 100yds but after that any little breeze would have it flying all over the place. I found very few days that were calm enough to get anything done past a hundred yards. Besides....I can load my 222 cheaper.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-13
>AT 09:57?AM (MST)

>
>>Thanks Hoss!!
>>
>>Joey
>>
>>
>>"It's all about knowing what your
>>firearms practical limitations are and
>>combining that with your own
>>personal limitations!"
>
>
>They are just fun to play
>with. Just another barbie gun
>for boys .
6401image.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
> Here is
>another.
5227image.jpg
>
>
>
>
> A Lot of
>barrels ,stocks and other
>parts. Kinda of a expensive
>toy for just being a
>rimfire cartridge. But a
>little more down range then
>the good old 22 long
>rifle.

Freaking funny,"barbie doll for boys"

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I put a lija 17hmr barrel on my 10/22 mag and thoroughly enjoy it.....very accurate well past hardways 100 yard windy days.....very reliable too as long as it has the second gen ruger bolt...

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

>I put a lija 17hmr barrel
>on my 10/22 mag and
>thoroughly enjoy it.....very accurate well
>past hardways 100 yard windy
>days.....very reliable too as long
>as it has the second
>gen ruger bolt...
>
>
>When you go swimming in the
>ocean, it is very cold,
>and it makes my willy
>small

What is a Second gen ruger bolt? The gun I just bought is a magnum research Model MLR-1722m. Not a true Ruger 10/22 Mag. I did a little research on it. It was sold in 17 hmr or 22 wmr. They no longer offer the 17 hmr. So I bought this with the idea of changing the barrel to a 17 hmr. It doesn't look like Magnum Research wants to sell me the 17 hmr barrel. So I will have to buy one from one of the many other manufactures. Volquartsen sells a lot of nice barrels. I hope their isn't a problem changing barrels , being they are different companies . I am assuming they are the same. All based of the Ruger 10/22 mag ?

Check out
RimFireCentral.com

I think I saw some barrel for sale there for the 17 hmr.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom