18, 28, 37, 371 - 2nd season

NorthSide

I drew a second choice tag for this area. I realize that this isn't a highly sought after tag, but I get a point and a hunt. Does anyone have any suggestions in narrowing down the areas I should try hunting? It is a large unit and I will not have time to scout it all. I do think I will get over once to scout it before the season. I'll be calling the biologist next week, but any info would be helpful.

Thanks NS

I have hunted the Troublesom Basin area in 18 and had a good hunt for elk ,beautiful country,saw arround 40 elk in the weeks hunt.Not loaded with elk and deer ,but huntable numbers.Check the Wheatley Creek area.

Thanks for the info. Did you see many deer / bucks? What time of year? Is the elk tag draw only? I
will circle those areas on my map.

Thanks again.

We saw several deer and about half of them were buck ,but did not see any nice big bucks ,even though our outfitter has taken some great bucks there.We hunted the muzzleloader season.I think the area gets alot of pressure durring rifle season,but so does all public land in Colorado.
I have a nephew that hunts to the south of Grandby Lake for cow elk and has done pretty good ,but he packs in 2-3 miles to get away from other hunters.

David Parri Outfitting out of Hot Sulfur Springs.A good reasonable priced ,honest person.

i drew a non residnet 2nd rifle tag too on my first try. Is this area going to be any good this year?

I'm not sure yet. The research has begun, but I haven't talked to a biologist yet. I'm waiting on maps. Have you heard anything?

NS

I have hunted 18 and it can be rather "busy" with hunters in there. You won't find large herds and elk running all over, you will have to work for them and will probably see around a dozen elk total. I know a few guys that hunt 18 and there are 3 of them that haven't seen an elk in 3 years of hunting, no they aren't road hunters, they do get out and walk 2-4 miles a day.
as far as deer I have mainly seen does and fawns, rarely do I see a buck and it's usually a 1 1/2 or 2 year old.

as far as the status of the herds? Haven't been there yet this year but I don't think it got hit hard with snow like the western slope did and if it did they can drop down in elevation to the blm and crop fields, I wouldn't worry about the elk from this winter.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Mountain <Man,

I have a deer tag in October. I plan to hunt unless an early storm hits. Let me know if you have any deer info. Thanks.

NS

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom