18 Head Killed

Very unfortunate for his operation. All businesses have unexpected losses from time to time. Likely his cows were insured so it should all work out in the end.

I had a truck get stolen on Monday. Damn two legged wolves.

Very unfortunate for his operation. All businesses have unexpected losses from time to time. Likely his cows were insured so it should all work out in the end.

Very unfortunate for your operation. All individuals have unexpected losses from time to time. Likely your truck was insured so it should all work out in the end.

Now, could you point out on the doll, where the naughty cattle touched you??

Very unfortunate for your operation. All individuals have unexpected losses from time to time. Likely your truck was insured so it should all work out in the end.

Now, could you point out on the doll, where the naughty cattle touched you??
Same place your dad touched you.

Problem with people using the “they should have insurance “ comeback is it still cost the rancher/business. Deductible cost, premium increases, lost wages/time to straighten everything out, frustration, lost revenue during the time to collect from insurance company, etc.

Budget buy
6B7DE487-3726-4825-8029-DCFF95A67D50.jpeg

Problem with people using the “they should have insurance “ comeback is it still cost the rancher/business. Deductible cost, premium increases, lost wages/time to straighten everything out, frustration, lost revenue during the time to collect from insurance company, etc.
Just part of having a business. No need to write a sad story on it.

Maybe he should put the cows in his backyard next time to reduce the risk of wolves getting them. Sounds like gross negligence on his part = sad pathetic article in a newspaper.?

Not to mention the loss of genetics. That is the one thing that most don’t realize. Many of these ranchers have spent decades sorting cattle and developing specific traits etc.

Roadrunner said: Ranchers learned to coexist with predators once before. It was called a bullet when they killed livestock...

No it was leaving a dead carcass laced with poison that did the wolves in. It took out the whole pack feeding on the carcass.

RELH

Not to mention the loss of genetics. That is the one thing that most don’t realize. Many of these ranchers have spent decades sorting cattle and developing specific traits etc.
???? loss of genetics? That’s a new one. Talking out your butt.

Roadrunner said: Ranchers learned to coexist with predators once before. It was called a bullet when they killed livestock...

No it was leaving a dead carcass laced with poison that did the wolves in. It took out the whole pack feeding on the carcass.

RELH

Dead is dead.

what happens when those 18 go to the slaughterhouse? OMG LOSS OF GENETICS ??????
Those 18 at slaughtering age most likely would be bred these were calves.You don’t think genetics are a thing how could you buy seaman straws out of bodacious for years after he was dead. Clearly you haven’t seen how the bucking bull business works and they use science and genetics in the ranching world as well. Just like hunting ranching is essential.

Those 18 at slaughtering age most likely would be bred these were calves.You don’t think genetics are a thing how could you buy seaman straws out of bodacious for years after he was dead. Clearly you haven’t seen how the bucking bull business works and they use science and genetics in the ranching world as well. Just like hunting ranching is essential.
Where did I say genetics wasn’t a thing? But to use it in a wolf attack is weak sauce. Extremely weak…

Clearly I’ve been around so I can call BS.

Pack of wolves knocked out the genetics in one attack!!!! FRICKING AMAZING!!! SUPER WOLVES FROM CANADA ????

Well at least the wolves will have a lot of naive and slower cows and calves to work through before they get going on the elk….

right???? glass half full??

Really I would be surprised if ranchers take this kind of thing lying down. Guess it depends if “wolf predation” turns out to be profitable or not.

Good luck when the state starts saying all these animals died from eating larkspur or something and were merely “scavenged”. Ranchers might get real quiet, and wolves might get real scarce.

Well at least the wolves will have a lot of naive and slower cows and calves to work through before they get going on the elk….

right???? glass half full??

Really I would be surprised if ranchers take this kind of thing lying down. Guess it depends if “wolf predation” turns out to be profitable or not.

Good luck when the state starts saying all these animals died from eating larkspur or something and were merely “scavenged”. Ranchers might get real quiet, and wolves might get real scarce.
None of this is actually going to happen, if pissed off ranchers would make wolves scarce they'd have already done it. There will be a bunch of tough talk and few wolves killed, its incredibly difficult using traditional methods of take. 1080 was a thing for a reason, because nothing else had even close to the desired effect.

None of this is actually going to happen, if pissed off ranchers would make wolves scarce they'd have already done it. There will be a bunch of tough talk and few wolves killed, its incredibly difficult using traditional methods of take. 1080 was a thing for a reason, because nothing else had even close to the desired effect.
There are a LOT more people on the landscape now than decades past. More roads. Phones, GPS. Drones. Better vehicles, better rifles. There is no species on earth other than mosquitos and ticks that humans can’t beat down to a fraction of their carrying capacity. Strike that, we even beat down mosquitos in most places.

There are a LOT more people on the landscape now than decades past. More roads. Phones, GPS. Drones. Better vehicles, better rifles. There is no species on earth other than mosquitos and ticks that humans can’t beat down to a fraction of their carrying capacity. Strike that, we even beat down mosquitos in most places.
Ever been to Idaho? We have an almost unlimited season, unlimited tags, we can trap, hunt at night, use thermal optics ect. Wolf population is still growing. There are ORGs paying $1000 for dead wolves and they get very few turned in. We can use just about any method we want short of poison and helicopters/machine guns yet the wolf continues to win.
Strike that, we even beat down mosquitos in most places.
With poison, the same way we eliminated wolves in the past because traditional methods weren't effective.

According to that article, the reintroduction law states that ranchers will be fully compensated for the loss caused by wolves.

If there is gonna be wolves, full compensation sounds like a legit set up for the ranchers to me. As long as that happens there doesnt seem like any reason to cry.

But, hell, maybe they can find a way to cry about being fully compensated for their efforts.

The tax payers shouldn't cry? Where do you think the $$$ is going to come from for the compensation?
Oh yeah i agree i have to pay for it. But as an american tax payer i pay for so much bullshit its just another pile.

Im not saying wolve reintroduction in kolorado is not a total mess the government is obviously ******* up.

Im saying it looks like that rancher will be, by law, fully compensated for his loss of 18 head and his time. Fuckin good.

I'm always amazed why hunters jump to the defense of ranchers, who would rather crap on you than jump to your defense. They really don't care about wildlife unless it makes them money, otherwise its just a determent.

Domestic animals getting killed on public lands? Thats a pretty low care in my book. Those ranchers would just as soon there be no elk/deer so they could run more cows. I know a lot of ranchers that think of wildlife as varmints. One I know used to mow down antelope like they were gophers 30+ years ago. He used to brag about shooting 20-30 at a time with his AR.

The article states the rancher will be compensated, but doesn’t mention by what agency. CPW is named quite a bit in there. I wonder if it comes out of their budget.

According to that article, the reintroduction law states that ranchers will be fully compensated for the loss caused by wolves.
BUT here the catch they have to have proof that a wolf killed it and didn't just feed on a already dead cow. That is the catch for limiting a payment or for the D&F can say NO CLEAR evidence it was killed by a wolf.

Check out what a run of mill type cows cost and then lookup what a Purebred cow cost same age and breed. Yes Genetic is what cause the price jump.

BUT here the catch they have to have proof that a wolf killed it and didn't just feed on a already dead cow. That is the catch for limiting a payment or for the D&F can say NO CLEAR evidence it was killed by a wolf.
apparently no one read and comprehended the article....

No need to read it when you're the front lines community living it. Just one more example of high populous areas impacting rural America with little if any care, reguard, or comprehension of the true consequences. Just their personal feelers of a "wild america". I call this environmental prejudice since the consequences of wolves is known yet flagrantly ignored. It's a ploy to decimate ag while also locking away the multi beneficial uses of our public lands for the sake of yet another supposedly endangered species. Why not bison? Or wolverines? Or lynx? Or a host of other critters. The wolf is chosen strategically hence the reoccurring court battles.

Last edited:
Why not bison? Or wolverines? Or lynx? Or a host of other critters. The wolf is chosen strategically hence the reoccurring court battles.
Why not bison? Because of ranching and cows on public land.

A public land rancher is no friend to hunters. If it takes wolves to get rid of public land grazing please lord deliver 10,000!

SS, I get what you are saying and partially agree with your sentiment. But the trickle down from locking these lands up for the sake of endangered species will be a precident that will lock up a huge majority of USA natural resources vital to our society. Similar to what happened with the timber industry. Fine thread we are walking on in the USA regulating ourselves out of existence. Which is the norm. Everything feels good, even the fall, until impact.

The compensation also does not take in to account the stress put on the cattle herd by the wolves. More stress equals less weight gain. Fifty lbs less at weaning will add up to tens of thousands of dollars for even small ranches. Add in what stress does to pregnancy rates and the uncompensated costs are even more.

The compensation also does not take in to account the stress put on the cattle herd by the wolves. More stress equals less weight gain. Fifty lbs less at weaning will add up to tens of thousands of dollars for even small ranches. Add in what stress does to pregnancy rates and the uncompensated costs are even more.
That was specifically talked about in the article......

imagine supporting this for crops if any interest group could just vote droughts, floods, pests and diseases into the picture.

It’s OK….we’ll just compensate youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!
They all already get their hurricane, fire, COVID, drought, boll weevil bailouts. The wolves are the the most recent man-made disaster deserving of a bailout.

Wait till the welfare woofs get here……then the real fun starts. I’m traumatized by it all and may need a little help myself.

imagine supporting this for crops if any interest group could just vote droughts, floods, pests and diseases into the picture.

It’s OK….we’ll just compensate youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!
All ready happening to some extent with the federal crop insurance program.

I'm always amazed why hunters jump to the defense of ranchers, who would rather crap on you than jump to your defense. They really don't care about wildlife unless it makes them money, otherwise its just a determent.

Domestic animals getting killed on public lands? Thats a pretty low care in my book. Those ranchers would just as soon there be no elk/deer so they could run more cows. I know a lot of ranchers that think of wildlife as varmints. One I know used to mow down antelope like they were gophers 30+ years ago. He used to brag about shooting 20-30 at a time with his AR.
B.S. You're ranching friends do not represent the industry as a whole.

Bambi not all cattlemen are equal. However a good cattleman creates water which in turn benefits wildlife. But yes there are some bad apples it’s just like outfitters in Utah. We have one that’s an absolute piece of trash. He’ll be dealt with over the next few weeks in court but the ones who do it right aren’t like him.

If there is gonna be wolves, full compensation sounds like a legit set up for the ranchers to me. As long as that happens there doesnt seem like any reason to cry.

But, hell, maybe they can find a way to cry about being fully compensated for their efforts.
Yes, but where do we assume the compensation dollars come from?

I believe I read somewhere that the first year’s budget was like $287k, and that it goes up from there. I’m too lazy to look it up.

“The Legislature passed HB21-1243 in 2021, which requires the general assembly to appropriate money to Colorado Parks and Wildlife, and authorizes the division's expenditure of money from one or more of the following funds:

• The general fund;
  • The species conservation trust fund;
  • The Colorado nongame conservation and wildlife restoration cash fund; or
  • The wildlife cash fund; except for any money generated from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses or from associated federal grants. This money within the wildlife cash fund is not available for appropriation.
The division is also authorized to solicit, accept, and expend any grants, gifts, sponsorships, contributions, donations, and bequests, including federal funds, for the program.

Once wolves are introduced, fair compensation for livestock losses as called for in state statute are to be borne by CPW’s wildlife cash fund not derived from the sale of hunting or fishing licenses or from associated federal grants, unless it cannot pay for such expenses. (Funding is discussed in the Joint Budget Committee briefing document).

As naturally depredating wolves have settled into Jackson County, any depredation loss that occurs prior to the final management plan’s compensation structure will be paid out according to CPW’s existing Game Damage program.

There will be funding and staffing impacts to CPW to bring additional wolves into the state. A more precise understanding of what this would look like will be apparent after a management plan is developed.”

I am fully on the ranchers side......but if they tie loss compensation to a baseline gain before wolves.....I see a great way to get lazy and suck in "wolf compensation" money

Wish they would issue depredation permits for them… they are the worst!

I really don't think your view on ranchers applies to this one. Pretty sure most ranchers don't "mow down antelope". Please.

I really don't think your view on ranchers applies to this one. Pretty sure most ranchers don't "mow down antelope". Please.
It happens more than most realize. I know a rancher that bought a new rifle and tried it out on a couple doe pronghorn. Left them laying after seeing how the rifle worked.

There's also a lot of ranchers that allow things to happen for decades. Like transferring tags illegally, no tags in some cases, you read about them getting busted every once in a while.

Make no mistake, there is a lot BS that goes on.

Pack of wolves knocked out the genetics in one attack!!!! FRICKING AMAZING!!! SUPER WOLVES FROM CANADA ????
Wolves are probably the only thing super to ever come out of Canada… the U.S. should have taken over those hockey playing, Molson drinkers years ago…. Then we could keep the good parts for hunting and sell the French part back to France at a premium!

True story. Even with the year round hunting here in Idaho, their population is maintaining. Most people don't realize how elusive they are. Nothing short of disease or poison will ever knock the numbers down once they are established.

I doubt Colorado will EVER allow wolf hunting. Certainly if they try, another ballot initiative would seek to shut it down, probably with lion hunting stopped as an added bonus. Oh you newly minted liberal western states / areas barely know whats in store. Fight back now or become another upstate NY, completely controlled by the city.

True story. Even with the year round hunting here in Idaho, their population is maintaining. Most people don't realize how elusive they are. Nothing short of disease or poison will ever knock the numbers down once they are established.
It really comes down to WY hunters are superior to ID hunters. Wyoming has to have a trophy area because quite frankly wyoming hunters would kill them off in a week. ID hunters have gone soft, send some wyoming boys over there and you’ll be back to a quota in no time.

Wyoming hunters > Idaho hunters

I doubt Colorado will EVER allow wolf hunting. Certainly if they try, another ballot initiative would seek to shut it down, probably with lion hunting stopped as an added bonus. Oh you newly minted liberal western states / areas barely know whats in store. Fight back now or become another upstate NY, completely controlled by the city.

Waiting to see what happens when the canine maggots make their way onto reservations that traditionally never had them and wreck havoc on their deer/elk populations.

Waiting to see what happens when the canine maggots make their way onto reservations that traditionally never had them and wreck havoc on their deer/elk populations.
In general, the western slope tribes are advocates. They have had a seat at the table since day 1.

It happens more than most realize. I know a rancher that bought a new rifle and tried it out on a couple doe pronghorn. Left them laying after seeing how the rifle worked.

There's also a lot of ranchers that allow things to happen for decades. Like transferring tags illegally, no tags in some cases, you read about them getting busted every once in a while.

Make no mistake, there is a lot BS that goes on.
You know one rancher that shot a couple antelope, that still means most don't "mow down antelope". Did you call F&G on this bad rancher?
I know some hunters that poach, share tags and do illegal stuff. We read about them every once in a while too. Does that make all hunters bad? Quit claiming all of a group is bad, because of a couple crappy individuals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom