18B - Javelina

T

Tsessions

Deciding if I want to hunt Bozarth Mesa or Signal Road ........ hhhhmmm decisions

Last year we seen a couple pigs on the mesa but didnt connect and the year before we hunted signal rd (six mile) and didnt even see one, but we seen alot of sign.

Just got back from a 4 day hunt and saw 1 pig! 10 guys glassing and these are locals who know where to go. Aint saying theres no pigs, just saying this unit has changed alot in the last couple years. Good luck to you.

Man, I hate the dry spells of not seeing anything. They are there, dont give up. I posted some pics of some pigs in the general hunting fourm titled "solar powered rotor rooters.

We got in a good spot and had some luck.

Good luck and stay with them, the hard part is seeing them, the rest is fun.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

PM sent...

P1060041.jpg

P1060046.jpg

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

We just got back from hunting. We paid to get on a ranch to find no pigs, no sign......nothing. We walked and glassed for miles...all we saw were two cotton tails and two coyotes. It has to be bad when the coyote poop has all berries and no fur. The boys that ran the ranch showed up 20 minutes after we pulled into camp to make sure they got there money before we figured out there were no pigs. We still had fun tellin stories around camp but it sucks getting dooped. I would like to go back next weekend but have no idea where to start on public land. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

518- I would at some of the ridges up off of Goodwin Mesa, there are quite a few pigs in there. Some people have a hard time finding them but they are there. It is all public land so you won't have to pay anything for access. Just be careful if it starts raining, the roads will get bad. Goodluck

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

I have hunted 99% of 18B (Goodwin, Bosarth Mesa's, Scotts Basin,)over the years for Deer, Antalope, and even pigs, but the pigs are the one thing I have not seen but maybe 12 in the last 2-3 year. I did see along on the North side of SR97 along the Gray Backs. For my money stay off the Mesa, between Bagdad and the Yolo Ranch.

The Boss

Thanks guys. We were hunting in 17a (the K4 ranch). I was just reading that i would have probably been better off hunting the Yavapai ranch since it is right next door and open mostly to the public, but it was kind of an already set up deal so we went with what we were told. Should have done the research! I am pretty sure my hunting party has plans for next weekend but maybe i can find someone to tag along. I am from nevada and this is my first time hunting Arizona. I will get out the maps and find the areas your talking about. Luckily/unluckily they cut us down to 4 days a week at work so i will have the three day weekend again to glass my butt off. This will be my first big game/archery hunt. I wont complain about tag soup but would at least like to see some game. Other than the cotton tails and coyotes we did see a great herd of antelope behind the gas station off the I-40, but nothing on the ranch.

Honestly you guys will be better off buying a metro tag over the counter for Javelina. Game & Fish will even tell you who is having problems with pigs close to town if you call them.

Hey Tim! Don Martin here.

I went back and looked at the e-mails you sent to me, and sure enough it said you guys had HAM tags! No wonder I didn't hear anything back from you.

Sounds liked you guys got duped on the ranch deal. Sorry to hear that.

I spoke to one of my guides who hunted there (18B) last weekend with his son.

Dan got a 39 1/2 lb sow, while his son got four shots at pigs. Guess his sights were off. So I guess they are still a few there!

Like the others said, you just got to know where to look!

Good luck this weekend, I'm thinking about going to Unit 16A to scout for the juniors hunt that starts in about 10 days.

Don Martin
AWO

Hey Don, it is gonna have to be a DIY hunt this year. I tried talking the wife into letting me use your services but with her being 8 months prego she isnt to hip on letting me spend $$$. So I'll pretty much each tag soup unless i get supper lucky, I am jsut gonna start stashing some $$ for next year :)

Tim:

I understand. Here is a photo of the pig my guide Dan Reed got. He said him and his son were in pigs all three days they were out there.

My lady friend Page and I both have HAM tags in Unit 18B. I hope we are able to tag out this year. We got a lot of folks in camp (5) and then got some more friends(5) for the rifle hunt in 18B. I think three of them are from Vegas.

Dan and some of my other buddies did say that they are seeing way less pigs out there this year than they have in the past.

That being said, one of my friends who knows this unit very well took two new archery hunters out and in two days they had shot 12 arrows, and all were misses. They were hunting a different part of the unit that we normally do. We may have to go and investigate that area!

If you see our AWO sign stop by.

Good luck and good hunting!

Don Martin
AWO

4b4ec10d5ddd3f84.jpg

Ive been hunting 19b seeing 10 pigs a day on average. Two killed 46 lbs and 35 lbs. Now that I have let others kill my recurve is ready for action friday! Ill send some pics to Don so he can post them.

Kenny:

You're gonna have to come over here and help us fill all these 18B HAM tags!!!

Good job on your two pigs, nice to see the AWO boys doing well.

Going out tomorrow to look at some more areas in 16A for Eric and his protege, "Little John".

By the way, Eric told me you guys had pigs at less than 5 yards but no arrows on the string, you kidding me?

Don

Here is the story on that.

We started off the day hiking to my glassing spot stoping on the way to check things out. Well my biggest problem hunting are these 15x56s i alwayse look as far as I can see and sure enough spot a heard of about 6 pigs 2.5 milles away. We watched them for a few minuets thinking no way are we walking that far and up that hill for a pig! Eric started glassing a little closer 1 mille and found another heard so we decided to go after them. While we were hiking down the back side of a thick mountain Eric stoped me and said he smelt something, I gave him the yeah right look and waved him on. About 30 seconds later here come three pigs running right at us! We both freez to see whats going to happen. The first pig cuts in front of me at 6yds the second runs right to us and stops in the juniper, a honest 3ft from us. The third goes around the tree and stops 10yds. We are both froozen at this point hoping they calm down and start feeding. No such luck, as I grab my knife and start to pounce on the pig at my feet he spins and they are gone for good!

At least that sounds better than having 3 pigs inside 20yds and not geeting a shot off. So we continue towars the second heard Eric spotted and get winded at 75yds game over. We left the truck at day light and finally made it back at 1:30.

Well, I am all loaded up and will be going to work in the morning (Thursday) then leaving from there, in hopes to be ready for Friday morning opening. I plan on hitting the Burro Creek Area and see what I can find.

For now I think i will be going alone, well at least Friday that is. My friend is suppose to go up Friday but doesnt know what time and he is a little flaky so we'll see what happens.

Keeping my fingers crossed, planning on hunting Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully I can connect on Friday and be home quick because the wife is 8 months prego and she is not a happy camper about me going.

Man, it looks like you shot him right near our camp! I think I recognize the mountain behind you.

Look like you got kinda wet too!

We got soaked!

Here are the two we got on Monday..The photo is of my guide Kenny Turner and our friend, Chris Dow. Chris' pig weighed 43 lbs 13 oz, field dressed. My weighed 37 lbs. 7 oz. Both were taken with a Savage Striker in 22-250 caliber. Chris got his at 137 yards, I got mine at 133 yards, AFTER I missed a chip shot with my muzzleloader at 92 yards.

Don Martin

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/2444kenny_turner_&_chris_dow_18b_2010_001.jpg

I drove by your camp a few times. I had a grey and black rhino. One time I drove by there was a guy practicing with his bow.

Yep, that would have been my friend Ryan Chan, who was/is going to get his pig with a bow this weekend.

Unfortunately, Ryan and his dad, Jay didn't see any pigs, though they went home on Saturday afternoon when those torrential rains came in.

Ryan, who is the used car manager for the local Ford dealership, may have just Sunday to hunt, but his dad and I are going out early Friday.

My lady friend is coming up Friday night, so I am hoping to find her a pig on Saturday.

Weird you guys saw just one pig, usually you'll see at least three. The largest group we've seen so far is 11, but a couple of other hunters that stopped by camp said they saw a group of 20.

Congratulations on that pig Tim, he looked like a good mature pig! Next year stop by and get in our Big Pig contest! It's just $10 with 100% payback!

Don Martin
AWO

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom